Violence, threats, prompt more Muslim women in Britain to wear a veil

Muslim women in the UK sometimes are insulted or threatened because of their religion. In response, many have decided to quietly up the game, by wearing a traditional garment which makes their religious identity visible to all.

When youth worker Sumreen Farooq was abused in a London street, the 18-year-old decided it was time to take a stand - and she started to wear a headscarf.

Farooq is one of many young Muslim women living in Britain who have, for various reasons, chosen to adopt the headscarf to declare their faith to all around them, despite figures showing rising violence against visibly identifiable Muslims.

For despite a common view that young Muslim women are forced to wear veils by men or their families, studies and interviews point to the opposite in Muslim minority countries where it is often the case that the women themselves choose to cover up.

While just under five percent of Britain’s 63 million population are Muslim, there are no official numbers on how many women wear a headscarf or head veil, known as the hijab, or the full-face veil, the niqab, which covers all the face except the eyes. The niqab is usually worn with a head-to-toe robe or abaya.

But anecdotally it seems in recent years that more young women are choosing to wear a headscarf to assert a Muslim identity they feel is under attack and to publicly display their beliefs.
uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/21/us-britain-muslim-veils-idUKKBN0GL0X120140821

Here in the US, some Christians complain about feeling persecuted. Is there a parallel course of action for Christians in the US, or other countries, in which they proudly proclaim their faith, despite the risk of increasing verbal or physical attacks? If so, what would it be? Praying before meals in a restaurant? Participating in pro-life counseling or demonstrations? Mentioning your faith during ordinary conversations with friends or with casual acquaintances?

Do you think Christians in the US, or other countries, self-censor to hide their faith? If so, what can be done about it?

Its all too weird to be understanding. The closest I can come to figuring what this is about is the old “passive-aggressive” behavior.

I think the French outlawed the Burqa being worn in public. There is more freedom in UK and this is being complained about? Really?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ban_on_face_covering

Few people hide their Christianity in the U.S… Why would they, since there are so many of us? Personally, I wear a crucifix.

I loved to see people praying together in a circle for a relative in a hospital in US.
I loved to hear Christians referring to services,masses,religious celebrations to come before soccer training or this sort of activities .
Wearing religious symbols whatever they were, and making the sign of the cross before churches.
Whatever we believe in and would spontaneously say and do, I will keep on saying or doing.
I do not understand to this day why freedom of religion is translated into a ban to be or express yourself. Whatever your religion is.
God bless you.

These days even the pastors and priests are unidentifiable from the general crowd, in the great majority of cases.

But “my old pastor” whom I often refer to nearly always wore his clerical garb.

I remember someone asking him why he wore it. I didn’t hear, or remember, all his response, but part of it was “… people know what I stand for…”

As far as I’m concerned, these days the clergy are barely visible. The Moslems put us to shame in that regard, particularly the women. The men too, often wear what appears to be Moslem garb, or sport what would appear to be Moslem beards and hairstyles.

Muslim women NOT wearing a scarf are threatened or actually violently treated in their OWN countries. Wear a scarf, don’t wear a scarf - nobody cares in a free country. If a scarf is worn to prevent identity while a crime is being committed, then its a different story. Common sense people! A Burqa is not acceptable wear when it is used for terrorism (vest bombs)!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.