Virgin Mary and John the Baptist

I have a question status about Virgin Mary and saint John the Baptist. Who is more regard higher status. My dad is keep saying say John the baptist.

I’m new on in forum and this is my first post.
thank you. :eek:

First of all W E L C O M E…

It would be interest to know your father’s argument.

I say Mary

Well, there is that passage about how out of all the “men born of women” John the Baptist is the greatest. BUT, Mary is a woman born of woman, not a man born of woman. Also, Jesus also said that John is nevertheless “lesser than all those in the kingdom of heaven” implying lower than the angels. We also sometimes put Joseph with Mary above the angels. But the Baptist does have very high precedence too.

The Virgin Mary.

Let me guess: your Dad’s argument is based on the “Among those born of a woman there is none greater than John the Baptist”?

Welcome to the forum.
To my recollection, there isn’t an official “ranking” list in reference to the saints. The greatest being the least and all, if we say “X” is the greatest, do we really mean the least? Too confusing. Mary was conceived and born without original sin, John was only born free, after being conceived in a natural manner.

There is indeed, in a way- especially for the Virgin Mary because to her the church pays the cult of hyperdulia. And among the other saints, the traditional way to rank them (as seen in the Litany) is holy angels, S. John the Baptist, S. Joseph, the Holy Apostles, the holy evangelists, the holy martyrs and so on.

thank for all people that answer my question, but your answer are seem reasonable to me. you said, “Mary was conceived and born without original sin, John was only born free, after being conceived in a natural manner”. :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.