Virgin Mary Defiled on “South Park”

catholicleague.org/05press_releases/quarter%204/051208_south_park.htm

Catholic League president Bill Donohue remarked today about last night’s episode of “South Park” (it will run again for the next three nights):

“A ‘South Park’ character gets a DWI and is ordered to attend AA meetings. Told about the 12-step program, he concludes that he needs a miracle to cure him. The plot then focuses on a statue of the Virgin Mary who is ‘bleeding out her ***.’ The Vatican dispatches a cardinal to investigate and he is sprayed with blood when he walks behind the statue. He then declares this to be a miracle, which draws even more people. The alcoholic, now in a wheelchair, is also sprayed with blood: he then claims he is cured and jumps out of his seat.

“Pope Benedict XVI goes to investigate. He, too, is sprayed with blood when he walks behind the statue. A reporter says, ‘The pope investigated further and determined that the statue was not bleeding out its ***, but its vagina.’ To which the pope replies: ‘A chick bleeding out her vagina is no miracle. Chicks bleed out their vaginas all the time.’

“Comedy Central is a subsidiary of MTV, which is owned by Viacom. On the board of directors of Viacom is a practicing Catholic and a distinguished public servant, Joseph A. Califano; he served under Presidents Johnson and Carter. We are writing to him today requesting that he intervene in this matter. We want a) an apology to Roman Catholics and b) a pledge that this episode be permanently retired and not be made available on DVD. In the event Viacom does not cooperate, we are asking Mr. Califano to issue his own statement of condemnation. We are asking our members to contact him as well. Remember, they chose to insult Our Blessed Mother on the eve of the Immaculate Conception, and the holy day itself.

[font=Arial]“Joseph A. Califano is chairman of the board of The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse. He can be reached at CASA, 633 Third Avenue, NY, NY 10017; phone, 212-841-5200; fax, 212-956-8020; email, employment@casacolumbia.org.”[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]-----------[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]HOLIDAY CAROLS[/font]
[font=Arial]
**December 9, 2005 **| In keeping with the spirit of political correctness, the Catholic League recommends the adoption of the following songs at Holidaytime…

MORE catholicleague.org/newsreleases.htm[/font]

My mouth is open in shock! First, I read about Santa and his elves being used inappropriately, in fact disgustingly, and now this! I enjoy South Park although sometimes it’s too much and I turn the channel.
But this is too much!

I want an apology for all people. This is not “freedom of speech” This is unacceptable abuse of all of us. I don’t care what argument they use like that if we don’t like it we can always turn the channel. No! We don’t allow the KKK to come on t.v. and just say whatever they feel.

I keep thinking of the children, many children watch South Park even though it’s past their bedtimes. I mean it’s bad enough for adults to be exposed to this but children too! What kind of society do we want to live in? Kids will think this kind of thing is normal and just fine.

I wrote a message on the link you provided, Plal.

Crystal

Sorry to say, but I’m just not shocked…South park started out “on the fringe” of acceptable several years ago, and when their audience fell, they did what every other show does…tried to offend those of us who prefer decent television in an attempt to garner ratings from those who don’t…sad but true – I see the same thing in Family Guy and to a lesser extent, the simpsons. Desperation for ratings…the almighty Neilson…

I saw this episode last night. Hubby had it on and I started to watch and I am totally in shock over what I saw. Is there a petition going on that I and others could sign? I’d like to have this episode taken off and banned from public viewing.

I caught part of this episode when it aired. Highly offensive and not amusing at all, but considering what else has been done on this show in the past, unfortunately not shocking either. I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for an apology from either the creators or Comedy Central, although I’m betting you’d have better luck with the latter.

This is very offensive, but it’s entertaining to some. They will not stop doing this kind of thing until they stop making money off of it. Sad but true.

[quote=JessHav]This is very offensive, but it’s entertaining to some. They will not stop doing this kind of thing until they stop making money off of it. Sad but true.
[/quote]

It’s sad but true.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.