Virgin Mary Mosque

I do believe that Mary is part of God’s peace plan. But I didn’t think I’d see the day when an Islamic community names their place of worship the “Virgin Mary Mosque”.

But, that’s what happened in Melbourne, Australia.

Their imam’s name is Sheik Isse Musse (or Sheik Isa Moussa, which translates to Sheik Jesus Moses).

I must say, a big “Congratulations” to them on such a move.

More info:
smh.com.au/news/national/islam-in-australia-a-diverse-society-finds-a-new-voice/2007/04/27/1177459982288.html

The name of the Mosque did cause a bit of controversy, as in with the Islamic community asking ‘why name it that’ etc.

But I think its a compliment… I think naming Mary after a place of worship in a mainly male dominant religion is pretty good.
Mary as we know is the mother of God, giving her this kind of respect in the Islamic religion is a pretty high honour.

Now all we have to do is encourage them to say:
Hail Mary, full of grace.
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

:amen: and I believe we do pray for that at every mass. :slight_smile:

I can just see the Catholic bashers slobbering all over themselves with this one.

[size=3]Muslims respect Mary and Jesus from the time of Muhammad. The Christians did not respect her in the beginning, they were two/three hundered years late in acknowledging her. They don’t know where she disappeared from Galilee. Had they loved her, they would have cared for her?

I have read that respect for Mary was a Muslim “add in” made for political gain.

Can’t remember where I read it though.

Does anyone know of a source for this?[/size]

Muslims respect Mary and Jesus from the time of Muhammad. The Christians did not respect her in the beginning, they were two/three hundered years late in acknowledging her. They don’t know where she disappeared from Galilee. Had they loved her, they would have cared for her?
Others have answered this with some detail. You are simply wrong.

The Sheikh is right in naming the mosque after MaryMeriumMaryam mother of ProphetMessenger JesusYeshuaIssa. May they live in peace in heaven after that they both died a respectful natural death (Jesus did not die a cursed death on cross) in India among the lost tribes of Israel as JesusYeshuaIssa had prophesized.
This is a belief of your religion which started over 600++ years after the death of Christ. I’ll take the word of the people who were there with him at the time. Dying on the cross was nota ‘cursed death’. God cannot be cursed.

well Im no basher, and stand shocked at paarsurreys post.

Im wondering if its such a honor for this mosque to be named after Mary? Nice intentions, but I can see it being quite confusing. Which its intended to do, sorry would like to see it another way, but its not. :frowning:

Since Muslims believe that Jesus was mearly a prophet, they see Mary in a totally different light then we do. I think you are right that there is an element of element of intention to confuse. Perhaps to fool Catholics making it easier to convert them.

BelFarfalla

'zactly and make some protestants (myself excluded) gleeful as was said. And also fool some of them as well with the convert thing. Think of it, that mosque is meeting christians halfway right? :rolleyes:

Then we “look” bad, but unbelievers dont know the details. So confusion reigns and we know the source of confusion is . . .

Hi
That is what is written in the NTBible, and most often repeated by my Christian friends; all Muslims believe that JesusYeshuaIssa never died on Cross; how could he die on Cross, he was is a respectful person one of ProphetsMessengers of GodAllahYHWH and among the ChosenOnes and also one of the PerfectMen?
All Mulsims love Jesus and MaryMeriumMaryam from the time of Muhammad SAW. This a starting point which could bridge gap between all the Christians and all the Muslims, whatever the denomination.
In fact, in my opinion, we Ahmadis could be called TrueChristian or TrueJews or TrueFollowersofZoroaster etc, as we are TruePeacefulMuslims but we prefer to be called TrueMuslims or Ahmadis because Muhammad was the last and the highest of ProphetsMessengers of GodAllahYHWH who established respect of all true ProphetsMessengers by announcing that all revealed religions of the world were truthful in origin but for the misgivings and misunderstandings of their followers.
This is however my opinion, others are not bound by it, they may continue believing what they believe but of course for some valid rational and reasonable arguments. I respect your religion.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

That is what is written in the NTBible, and most often repeated by my Christian friends; all Muslims believe that JesusYeshuaIssa never died on Cross; how could he die on Cross, he was is a respectful person one of ProphetsMessengers of GodAllahYHWH and among the ChosenOnes and also one of the PerfectMen?

You misunderstood me. Yes we believe that Jesus dies on a cross… that is what the people who witnessed his exection say happened. The bible does not say that Jesus was cursed.

How could He die? He was flesh and blood just like you are. He died. Dying on a cross does not curse Him or diminish Him. Nothing can do that… I believe that is part of the point of it.

All Mulsims love Jesus and MaryMeriumMaryam from the time of Muhammad SAW. This a starting point which could bridge gap between all the Christians and all the Muslims, whatever the denomination.
No this is not the starting point of bridging a gap because Islam denies all of Christianity. Muhammad did not want a bridge… he wanted to conquer and destroy Judaism and Christianity. So he left no bridge.

However Muslims are trying to use Mary & Jesus as a way to fool Christians into thinking that there is a bridge.

In fact, in my opinion, we Ahmadis could be called TrueChristian or TrueJews or TrueFollowersofZoroaster etc, as we are TruePeacefulMuslims but we prefer to be called TrueMuslims or Ahmadis because Muhammad was the last and the highest of ProphetsMessengers of GodAllahYHWH who established respect of all true ProphetsMessengers by announcing that all revealed religions of the world were truthful in origin but for the misgivings and misunderstandings of their followers.

Zoroaster? My you keep widening the gap between you and mainstream Islam. Mainstream Islam does not recognize Zoroaster in any way. You can call yourself whatever you wish. Christians are those who consider Jesus to be part of the trinity… to be God.
Do you bring Hindu beliefs into your relgion too?

Hi
Truth has to be accepted whereever it is and wherefrom it comes. If I find truth with the Hindus; why not to accept it?
Like Christians make JesusYeshuaIssa a ChristianGod whereas in my opinion he was not; similarly Hindus make Krishna a HinduGod while he was not. Both were though ProphetsMessengers and ChosenOnes and PerfectMen of GodAllahYHWH as was also Zoroaster.
TrueMuslims respect all such great men.
Thanks
I am an Ahmadi – a peaceful faith in Islam bridging gaps between faiths/denominations/religions/agnostics

I do not know why Muslims consider Mary to be so honorable when to them, all she did was give birth to another prophet. Why dont we see Muhhamed’s mother’s name on this Mosque?

Muhammad’s mother died when he was very young. He was raised by his grandfather or an uncle. So she really had no part in his life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.