Virginia election 2013: Attorney general race comes down to Fairfax County votes

FAIRFAX, Va. (WJLA) - The clock is ticking toward a deadline for Fairfax County to certify its results from last Tuesday’s attorney general 's election, and officials will meet again Tuesday to finish counting the ballots.

The race between Democrat Mark Herring and Republican Mark Obenshain likely comes down to a batch of 493 provisional ballots that Fairfax County Electoral Board members scrutinized yesterday and will continue to review.

wjla.com/articles/2013/11/virginia-election-2013-attorney-general-race-comes-down-to-fairfax-county-votes-96747.html

Sometimes otherwise known as the People’s Republic of Fairfax.

XD So true! We eagerly wait as our wise overseers of Fairfax County decide…

Any results yet??

Virginia election 2013: Mark Herring claims Attorney General victory

Facebook message from Mark Obenshain

At this stage, we are in the closest statewide election in Virginia history. The State Board of Elections currently estimates a difference of fewer than 200 votes out of more than 2 million votes cast. That’s less than 1/100th of a percent difference. With the completion of the canvass of local boards, we have finished two of the three automatic steps of vote counting. The State Board of Elections will now conduct its own review, scheduled to be complete November 25th. We owe it to the people of Virginia to make sure we get it right, and that every legitimate vote is counted and subject to uniform rules. We have seen significant swings in the vote count over the last several days as errors are corrected as a part of the regular canvass process. The State Board of Elections will now conduct its own review and we will await their results. I thank our dedicated election officials who have put in long hours and given great care to their duty. We will make further announcements in the days ahead.

facebook.com/396436403713176/posts/645394158817398

Dems will sweep VA, I can smell it. :thumbsup:

Republicans have a supermajority in the House of Delegates

Dems win by 164 votes. Republicans likely to request a recount, but must wait until November 25 to do so.

swampland.time.com/2013/11/13/with-106-vote-attorney-general-victory-virginia-democrats-sweep-state/

Is Fairfax County generally influential enough to swing the election one way?

Yes. It is right outside DC and has a huge educated and liberal population. Had it not been for McAuliffe’s big edge in Fairfax, the tea party candidate would have won. :eek:

I feel sorry for you.

Why? :frowning: Because I am a liberal and well educated? :rolleyes:

Well technically no, as there are a lot of counties in Virginia. But it’s a BIG county with over a million people and twice as much as the second most populated county.

It’s close to DC so a lot of government workers / contractors live there and they usually vote big democrat. But here’s why everyone talks about it:

1. It’s big.
  2. It generally is the last county to finish reporting numbers.

So because it stacks up numbers last, generally speaking if the race is tight that particular county always decides it. That’s not necessarily terrible news for Republicans, as Fairfax went big for McDonnell in 2009. But it does mean that it can’t be overlooked by either politician who wants to win in Virginia.

I have never heard it called that. Not at all. It’s just “home”.

It’s not* that* liberal. It simply* leans* left.

Yeah, I agree. People’s Republic of Maryland, maybe or Arlington. But Fairfax can be quite conservative. It’s a big county with room for all sorts of folks.

I mean, come on, it’s not like it’s Takoma Park…:smiley:

And why do those folks live in northern Virginia and not DC itself or Maryland? :smiley:

I wonder long it’s going to take for them to screw up Virginia like they did with Maryland and DC.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe there is some wisdom when right-radio says that liberals will lay waste to their neighborhood, not learn at all from their mistakes, tout their “education” and then move somewhere else, rinse and repeat.

Well, I think these folks democrat mostly because of their paycheck.

It’s always been hilarious to me that some liberals think just because certain groups vote democrat more times than naught it means they lovingly embrace their platform, which is only a reflection of the NYC-DC-Left Coast mostly-white elite.

If anyone thinks otherwise, have the democrats drop foodstamps, section 8, the unions, and the bailouts arguing only principles like so-called “gay marriage”, free condoms and abortion and see what % of the Muslim and African-American vote they get. :smiley:

Well, I think these folks democrat mostly because of their paycheck.

It’s always been hilarious to me that some liberals think just because certain groups vote democrat more times than naught it means they lovingly embrace their platform, which is only a reflection of the NYC-DC-Left Coast mostly-white elite.

If anyone thinks otherwise, have the democrats drop foodstamps, section 8, the unions, and the bailouts arguing only principles like so-called “gay marriage”, free condoms and abortion and see what % of the Muslim and African-American vote they get. :smiley:

Yeah, I lived in Takoma Park a zillion years ago. I was right next to Our Lady of Sorrows though, so I guess I could claim sanctuary. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.