Virginia legislature restricts abortion funding

RICHMOND – The Virginia General Assembly on Wednesday accepted proposals from Gov. Robert F. McDonnell to restrict state funding for abortions, expand spending on economic development and raise fines for speeders, but lawmakers resisted some cuts he had sought for social services.

On a 20 to 19 vote, the Democratic-led Senate agreed to an amendment proposed by McDonnell ® that would limit state funding for abortions to those performed in cases of rape or incest or when the life of the mother is at risk. Nothing in state law previously prohibited Medicaid-funded abortions in instances when the health of the mother was in jeopardy.

In Virginia, governors have wide latitude to propose amendments to bills passed by the legislature during its annual winter session. The General Assembly returned to Richmond on Wednesday for one day to consider his proposals to amend 122 bills and make 96 changes to the state’s two-year budget.

The abortion vote was a victory for McDonnell, a Catholic who has long opposed abortion and who had been lobbied by social conservatives to restrict funding for the procedure. McDonnell argued that his proposal would bring Virginia into line with federal law on the issue, recently restated by an executive order signed by President Obama.

Read more at:washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/21/AR2010042105281.html

I don’t understand this news. What did abortions did Virginia’s Medicaid pay for belore this law was passed?

[quote=the article]On a 20 to 19 vote, the Democratic-led Senate agreed to an amendment proposed by McDonnell ® that would limit state funding for abortions to those performed in cases of rape or incest or when the life of the mother is at risk. Nothing in state law previously prohibited Medicaid-funded abortions in instances when the health of the mother was in jeopardy.
[/quote]

[quote="Dale_M, post:2, topic:195718"]
I don't understand this news. What did abortions did Virginia's Medicaid pay for belore this law was passed?

[/quote]

That is a good question. I don't believe the article said anything about it.

Yeah, I don’t get this news either. It didn’t change anything. Medicaid was never supposed to pay for abortions, except for the case of rape, incest and threat to the woman’s life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.