Virginia State Police chaplains resign over ban on ?Jesus? words (CNA)

Richmond, Sep 26, 2008 / 08:56 pm (CNA).- At least five Virginia State Police chaplains have resigned after being told they must refrain from using words like “Jesus” and "Christ."http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/catholicnewsagency/dailynews/~4/404299455

Full article…

Virginia General Assembly Delegate Charles W. Carrico, a former state trooper, is protesting the decision.

“You don’t check your religious beliefs at the door just because you’re hired by the state and are a member of the department,” he said, characterizing the decision as the “separation of Jesus and state.”

I like the statement made here about the shift in what we’re actually separating. We find ourselves at more and more places having to “check our religious beliefs at the door.” As a college student, I see myself having to do this in lieu of discussions of why certain writers took such a positions as deism and atheism, especially when it comes to talking about the Enlightenment. Apparently Christianity is not a very “enlightened” argument anymore.

I’m not sure how many chaplains would be “in favor” of such a decision, but I can safely say that this is definitely an attack on Christianity. It’s always something Christian that people are against: how offensive, exactly, is a prayer about Jesus? If you don’t want to hear it, just don’t listen. “Enlighten” me…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.