Visanne for Endometriosis - morally right?

Hello.

I would like to know if anyone with a previous experience related or with someklind of medical training can help me.

My wife has endometriosis, a rather painful condition in which tissue similar to the tissue that normally lines the inside of your uterus — the endometrium — grows outside the uterus. This condition, besides, the cronical pain, can, if not treated difficult the pregnancy, improves the chances of miscarriage or ectopic pregnancies (when a pregnancy occurs outside the uterus, what results in a miscarriage)

Therefore, there is one medicine that improves this conditions, that is Visanne (dienogest). The problem is that this medication, albeit not a contraceptive, has contraceptive properties and has high chances to inhibit ovulation. Besides, it can improve the chances to have a ectopic pregnancy. The catch here is that the disease that it treats also improves ectopic pregnancy, so it is a question to know witch situation creates more ectopic pregnancies: the disease or the medicine. I think for the most women this is not a problem because the laboratory itself advises to use an other contracptive method with, which, logically is not an option for us.

So, I would like to know if someone is kind to shed some light in this for us. It is not a matter to simply “talk to my priest” since it has a lot of medical nuances and maybe it will be helpful to know an opinion with someone with a medical background who is really Catholic or a layman or a priest that have already faced a similar situation.

The situation that bugs me the most, is not so much the inhibited ovulation part, but the possible of ectopic pregnancies/miscarriages, but not treat the disease could also results in it, so it is complicated.

You can submit your question to the National Catholic Bioethics Center for free. I asked one once and got an answer fairly quickly.

https://www.ncbcenter.org/

In general principle your wife can morally take a drug to treat a medical condition even if it results in some type of sterility such as this.

7 Likes

I was treated for endometriosis many years ago. I can tell you that in addition to the miserable pain it can cause, it can also leave you infertile. Treating the condition preserves fertility. The chances of the drug causing an ectopic pregnancy are extremely remote.

3 Likes

I happen to have a degree in Bioethics. Let me do a little research and get back to you.

-Fr ACEGC

12 Likes

Thank you very much father.

Hello, father. Sorry to bother, but did you find something about? Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.