Vision Quests

Two of our daughters plan to attend a Vision Quest in Utah. Do you know if Vision Quests are compatible with the teachings of the Catholic Church? Thanks
Cal

Is this what you are referring to?
crystalinks.com/visionquest.html

Looks nothing like Catholic to me. :slight_smile: … some sort of New Age stuff right?

Hi Water, in another thread they are speaking that it isnt New Age but Indian tradition. But New Age uses it for their own. I guess its a clarification.

Cal Meier

If you are Catholic and your daughter is too, she should not attend this at all. Im with Water on this.

Think of it this way you are asking a spirit guide to enter your being, the only thing entering your being should be the Holy Spirit. They are substituting a poor filler for the real thing.

Christians need to be filled with Jesus not whatever.

And I would also point out in order to receive Jesus we do not need to sit naked (even though optional) in the woods under a blanket to do so! :wink:

Yeah, it is an American Native tradition, but I had a feeling that New Age (N.A.)is adapting it. N.A. is trying to mix up all sort of things.

I would too suggest that your daughter stay 10000 miles far from this quest. Going to mass, adoration, retreat, church activity at Catholic church/center are what they need.

ok you read that, I figure if Native Indians dont like the term, its good to keep it straight. Actually it makes me feel better in some way. :slight_smile:

That retreat sounds great for the daughter too, hope they come back to read these.

:slight_smile:

It all depends on what type of vision quest it is. I’d let them go. How old are they? Even if it is a Native American tradition, why not let them try it? As long as it is about love and light, there is no harm at all.

As long as it is about love and light, there is no harm at all.

:rotfl: :rotfl: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rotfl: :rotfl:

If it’s not Catholic Spirituality under the protection of the Trinity, no amount of generic ‘Love’ or ‘Light’ is going to help. Demons can fake ‘light’ quite easily, in fact I’d bet that quite a bit of what passes for religion and spirituality today comes from that same ‘Light’.

Your religion is mixture of many: Christian, Buddhist, Wiccan. Therefore, you wouldn’t find problem for some type of Vision Quest. The OP is looking into Catholic teaching though.

Who’s version of love and whos version of light.?

That is what you believe. But there are multiple truths. To mock ones religion is to mock their opinions and ideas. Demons can fake light, but if your daughters do go to a vision quest, tell them to ask God to protect you. That’s what it is all about, after all. Seeking out God. SO I don’t know how it is evil.

Again, are your daughters mature enough to make their own descisions? This could be a very spiritual moment for them and will surely draw them closer to God. Sometimes the best way to protect something is to set it free…

Well vision quests can be seeking God in the process, which is very Catholic. We had a vision quest at our church once.

I think that water’s right, but if your child is interested in these vision quests I would direct your child to traditional elements that somewhat mirror these Visionquests.

When I read what water posted, it sounds like what the desert fathers used to do. St. Anthony of Egypt (or St. Anthony Abbot) did a similar thing by seeking solitude. The major difference is that he prayed to an external God and not the inner self.

This is this phrase that alarmed me:

In a vision quest, conditions are set up that allow the soul to move beyond the illusions of the little self and enter the unity of the inner whole.

Do you see how entering the unity of the inner whole is so contrary toward the Christian goal of entering the unity of the Communion of Saints, which is beyond us?

There is little differnce between the truth of a Buddhist and that of a Christian. They both want love and strive to have communion with the divine. Native Americans also have great respect for nature and only want peace. Vision quests will only further connect you to the divine.

What really matters is the intent. Most religions want love, and in the end it is all from the same source. That is how I successfully combine my beliefs. Everything is connected.

I wish your daughters well on this quest! May they find further closeness to God in the process.

But there are multiple truths

No, there aren’t. There is only One and to believe otherwise is heresy.

tell them to ask God to protect you

To ask God to protect you while you go do something contrary to Him is rather like wrapping yourself in plastic and jumping into a mud pit. Why not just avoid jumping into the mud altogether?

While we seek God we don’t need ‘vision quests’ or any other pagan practices. Finding God is as simple as going to your parish church and sitting before the Tabernacle. These other practices seem to be seeking after feelings more than solid truth. In this case it is active persual of a ‘vision’ when it is God who will decide to if and when to whom His visions appear.

If God is in everyone, then what is the problem with a little soul searching and seeking God inside of ourselves? I swear we had a religion class about how God is in everyone(I go to a catholic school)

How is a vision quest to seek communion with God doing something that is against him?

Most people do not find the closeness to God they need in a Church. If they sit in nature, medtate, and go on vision quests they can become more spiritually awakened. That s the whole purpose.

Wrong. There are multiple beliefs but they cannot all be true.

To mock ones religion is to mock their opinions and ideas.

Being firm in one’s own faith is not mocking.

Demons can fake light, but if your daughters do go to a vision quest, tell them to ask God to protect you.

You are SO right on this. Demons reject the light of God, and if they are like mirrors, they reflect the light and appear to be like God. The New Age movement appears to be spiritual, but most of it is searching within the inner self to find peace. Our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit, but the Christian seeks peace by praying to God who is external to us in order for the Holy Spirit to dwell in us.

That’s what it is all about, after all. Seeking out God. SO I don’t know how it is evil.

It’s dangerous to seek God in an internal self.

Again, are your daughters mature enough to make their own descisions? This could be a very spiritual moment for them and will surely draw them closer to God. Sometimes the best way to protect something is to set it free…

Wow. If your child’s soul was at risk, would you protect it by setting it free. I guess it’s no concern if there are multiple truths.

Having a personal relationship with God and embracing His gift of nature and the beauty of life is something I miss. Since I started making my way along the Catholic path, I find that my religion becomes more about following rules and a stringent belief system.

Not saying that following the Catholic faith is the reason why I feel spirtually dead, but I do think something like a vision quest could serve to fill a need while enriching my experience as a Catholic.

Would you mind elaborating on how this is dangerous.

Not here for a debate, just wanting to understand better.

There is only one Truth. If her children want to seek God they chould go to mass. He is physically present there, they can eat his body and drnk his blood,

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.