Visions

It’s amazing how many saints have seen visions and encounters with the Virgin Mary and Jesus even. Is it just me or why don’t these things continue to happen? I mean, why can’t these things happen to us? :slight_smile:

It just seems to me that we live in a world where “nothing happens” where it did happen a long time ago, like in the 14th-19th century or something. Forgive my ignorance but I must be expecting too much and I shouldn’t!!! :o

[quote=Paris Blues]It’s amazing how many saints have seen visions and encounters with the Virgin Mary and Jesus even. Is it just me or why don’t these things continue to happen? I mean, why can’t these things happen to us? :slight_smile:

It just seems to me that we live in a world where “nothing happens” where it did happen a long time ago, like in the 14th-19th century or something. Forgive my ignorance but I must be expecting too much and I shouldn’t!!! :o
[/quote]

It still happens today, you need to do some research on modern apparitions, but I would warn you to get a Catholic book, there are some wild ideas out there. If I recall correctly the number of apparitions has actually increased in the past century. I’ve read some beautiful books on this, I want to say Scott Hahn wrote one, anyone help here with the name?

Hi Paris,

There are many more recent apparitions that I have been learning about, Fatima, for example, or the Divine Mercy apparition.

Try this link:Divine Mercy

This is one of my favorites of the newer visions. Jesus visited a Polish nun, St. Faustina, many times, and she recorded His words in her diary, which is in print. One of my favorite devotions is praying the Divine Mercy Chaplet, especially in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel.

I have only been Catholic for a year and one month, and there is SO much to learn. It is wonderful!
I am excited every day about what I am learning.

:bounce:

[quote=Paris Blues]It’s amazing how many saints have seen visions and encounters with the Virgin Mary and Jesus even. Is it just me or why don’t these things continue to happen? I mean, why can’t these things happen to us? :slight_smile:

[/quote]

John 20:29Jesus said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed.”

there are several other threads on various apparitions, including one that ponders that possibility that increasing numbers of reported apparitions around the world in this century may be prophetic of end times. Perhaps the reason “people like us” don’t receive visions of Jesus or Mary or the saints is that it seems these gifts are most often given to the young, the innocent, the naive, perhaps less educated or less gifted, or as in Bernadette’s case someone developmentally delayed. Perhaps in a well-educated, sophisticated body like ourselves there are not enough of us who are poor in spirit and pure in heart to receive such blessings.

I wonder if we stop long enough to have the Lord talk to us, or I should say do we stop and listen.

I am remaining open over the issue of alleged visions today. I do believe that they still happen but not as often as I have seen reported.

The vision given to St. Faustina is now very well known and as a result we have Divine Mercy Sunday.

Whilst I personally remain open to these things I do add a not of caution over many of the purported apparitions of our modern times. Most of them are truly the work of overdeveloped imaginations and there are some who claim to be visionaries who are not averse to taking money from simple folk.

We do not need visions to get close to the Lord. We have the Scripture and when one learns to contemplate the Scripture then trust me, the Lord will speak to your heart. You just have to stop and find time to listen to what He is trying to tell you.

Maggie

I had a vision as a child. If you are interested I wrote about it at:

users.qwest.net/~ajrakr/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.