Visiting Phoenix - looking for suggestions!

Hello Everyone!

I’m going to be in Phoenix, AZ for a couple weeks for some work-related training with Honeywell in October – and I was hoping for some suggestions about what sort of things I can do in town. I’m traveling with a co-worker, but we have pretty different ideas about what we’d like to do in our spare time. :wink: I’ll be staying on the north side of town, near the Phoenix-Deer Valley Municipal Airport. I’ve looked at a few different parish websites and whatnot, but I’d really appreciate a “local’s” suggestion about where I might go – and I don’t know anybody from Phoenix. Much less a Phoenix literate person who cares about their Catholic faith! :wink:

So, I was wondering things like: are there any churches that have daily Mass in the evening? Are there any shrines or anything similar for pilgrimage-type visits? Are there any good Catholic bookstores? Does anyone have suggestions for particularly beautiful churches a visiting Catholic might want to visit? And for the weekend – what parishes could someone suggest where they are particularly “reverent” when celebrate the Mass?

I’m not opposed to the extraordinary form of the Mass by any means – I consider myself an orthodox Catholic I suppose. I belong to a semi-traditional (some people call it that anyway!) parish here in Iowa – all of our Masses are celebrated with great love and reverence for the Eucharist – and we have a Latin Mass available on Sundays. But a church that celebrates the Novus Ordo Mass with great reverence would be wonderful too!
I really appreciate any suggestions that any of you might have for me! Thank you very much ahead of time!

Pax Domini Sit Semper Vobiscum

Hello,

I am from Phoenix but unfortunately I am unable to answer most of your questions, although I would love to learn the answers to you questions as well.

One impressive church that you should see when you come to Phoenix is the St. Mary’s Bascilica and St. Simon and Jude Cathedral are two very beautiful churches in Phoenix. They are both worth a visit.

Friends tell me the bus services are awful, whatever the church services are like! :smiley:

Thanks Dan, it’s nice to know there’s another person interested in finding some of the same stuff! Please don’t hesitate to let me know if you find anything too!

I’d looked at the website for St. Mary’s Basilica. It’s on my list! :slight_smile:

I also looked at St. Stephen’s Byzantine Catholic Cathedral. We have no Eastern Catholic churches in my area - and I’ve always thought it would be very good to participate in a Divine Liturgy in an established church of a different rite. So, that one’s on my list too! :wink:

Hopefully, we’ll get some more suggestions from other folks in your area! :extrahappy:

My BIL is parochial vicar at Queen of Peace parish in Mesa, Fr. Thomas Bennett… he just started there about a month ago. His Mass is very reverent, but there are some elements he can’t change, so if you’re adamantly opposed to altar girls, you might want to skip it. For the least amount of hub-bub, let me suggest the 6:45 a.m. Mass on Sunday… regardless of whether my BIL or the pastor, Fr. Charlie, celebrates it, you’ll get a warm welcome!

Check the website for the diocese of Phoenix for Mass schedules and the locations of different churches diocesephoenix.org/

Mater Misericordiae Mission
@
St. Thomas the Apostle
4510 North 24th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85016-5298
(602) 954-9088
Sunday 1.00PM
phoenixlatinmass.org/

Accept no substitute.

I would recommend going to the Pheonix Park ‘n Swap , it is a big flea market, where you will find very nice religious objects for a nice price. If you don’t mind driving all the way to Gilbert , I would recommend going to saint Annes in Gilbert. It is a beautiful church ,and there is Saint Thomas Byzantine Catholic Church a few minutes away.

phoenixlatinmass.org/docs/notitiae/20100822.pdf

There is a new parish in Phoenix for the Tridentine Mass (FSSP, not SSPX).
Father Terra is a great priest. He went from where I live to Phoenix.

Autom is in Phoenix, I go there every time I visit. They have a great selection, with great prices, on many Catholic items. The last few times I went they had grab boxes for $10, it is full of random Catholic items. I love it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I can tell you one place not to go. It’s called Our Lady of the Sun International Shrine. It’s a schismatic sect that doesn’t operate with the local Bishop’s permission, though they sure do lie about it. Though I’d mention this because they do the Tridentine Mass there, and I don’t want you to go there by mistake thinking it’s legit.

I know this thread is quite old but would like to offer a few conservative/traditional parishes for you info.:

St. Thomas the Apostle Church
2312 E. Campbell Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85016
11:00AM
NOTE: Fr. John Ehrich & Fr. Oliver Vietor are very good. You will get a little Latin, most hymns are old Anglican in nature, but for the most part you will be able to get through it without throwing up.

Cathedral Sts. Simon & Jude
6351 North 27th Avenue
Phoenix, Arizona 85017
simonjude.org/
11:00AM
NOTE: Fr. John Lenkeit is a real priest!!! Mass is chanted, most in Latin! Not too many problems here. Probably the best Novus Ordo in the Diocese of Phoenix. Introit, Gloria, Agnus Dei, Santcus in Latin.

Mater Miseriacordia Latin Parish
FSSP
1537 West Monroe Street
Phoenix, Arizona 85007
phoenixlatinmass.com/
Tridentine 1962 usage…can’t go wrong! Fr. Terra is great!

St. Joan of Arc Catholic Church
3801 E. Greenway RD.
Phoenix, AZ 85032
stjoanofarc.com/
NOTE: Fr. Don Klein is pretty good. No craziness for the most part! 10:30AM Sunday is very reverent with some LAtin.

Hope that helps anyone in need!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.