Vitamins 'may shorten your life'

tinyurl.com/5n3leu

** Vitamins ‘may shorten your life’**

Research has suggested certain vitamin supplements do not extend life and could even lead to a premature death.

A review of 67 studies found “no convincing evidence” that antioxidant supplements cut the risk of dying.

Scientists at Copenhagen University said vitamins A and E could interfere with the body’s natural defences.

“Even more, beta-carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin E seem to increase mortality,” according to the review by the respected Cochrane Collaboration.

So throw away those One-a-Days! Either that or quit listening to “studies”.

Not necessarily. According to the article, the study faulted individual vitamins. My guess is that these individual vitamins are taken in high doses - certainly higher than in a multivitamin (which are just enough to prevent disease). I think the study is a criticism of health fads, particularly that of antioxidants.

As Heraculus said, “We are living our death, and dying our life.” So, vitamins can only delay the inevitable, or not according to this…:eek:

Wel there’s a pefect explanation as to why A & E vitamins will kill you. There’s two groups of Vitamins. There’s B & C which are water soluable. These vitamins are non toxic and your body simply eliminates them when you pee. Then there’s A D E K. Those are are all fat soluable vitamins which means they stay on your body alot longer and can be very toxic in large amounts. My suggestion is that you only get these vitamins in dietary form. Especaiily A & E. Vitamin A cancome from two sources. The pure form which is from meat and animal products and the Beta carotene form which is found in plants. It’s simply much safer to get your vitamin A from beta carotene (orange plants like carrots and peppers) than from meat. Vitamin E is the same way. You can get it in more balanced amounts from the food you eat. If you are going to take vitamins, make sure it’s a specific vitamin that you know you are deficient in. For example, don’t take iron supplements unless you tend to have lower iron (like myself) Taking in iron when you don’t need it can cause nausea and death from iron poisoning. Vitamin D is easily synthesized from exposure to sunlight. And you don’t realy need a whole lot of K, There’s a chance you’re getting it of you eat right.

It’s my opinion that doctors should test all their patients for their vitamin levels at their annual check-up. They test your blood sugar, your cholesterol and your blood pressure but not your vitamin levels–why?

If having too much can be toxic in certain cases, not having enough in other cases can be just as bad. I know–I’ve suffered several vitamin deficiencies in my life and some of them can lead to serious illnesses or even death. I was very sick for a long time and no one knew what was wrong with me–until one day after years of being ill and nothing showing up on any of my tests, my doctor decided to test my vitamin levels which were deficient in several different ones.

Did the study also control for cheapo vitamin brands?

Vitamin D comes in several different levels of quality. How you take your vitamins and when also make a difference, along with what your deficiency happens to be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.