Vitro fertilization

A young and healthy couple get married in their early 20's. 2 years later, they have a healthy baby girl. Life is great for them and 3 years later, they decide to have another child.

First pregnancy resulted in a miscarriage.

Second pregnancy attempt also resulted in a miscarriage.

Third pregnancy attempt again resulted in a miscarriage.

Question here:.... Are these 3 attempts signs of God not to go forward ????

Now, this couple decides to go to the vitro fertilization process.

First attempt was a failure. The couple tries again. $90,000 later, the 2nd vitro process is a success and the creation is placed in the mother.

The mother carries for 9 months and they now have another baby girl.

The baby is born and within 30 days the mother is diagnosed with breast cancer. She undergoes treatments but the cancer is spreading quickly. The mother then has a double mastectomy.

By the time the mastectomy was completed, the cancer had spread to other parts of her body, lungs and brain.

The mother eventually died from this horrible decease within 7 years after giving birth to the second child.

I asked up above if the 3 miscarriages are a sign of God as not to go forward with producing anymore children and since this couple decided to go through the unnatural path of producing a child, did God punish this woman?

The above is a true story of a friend of mine. What are your feelings & beliefs about this?

I've always leaned that God was not pleased with this couples decision, but that is just what I think. Am I wrong to think this way?

I think we are on shaky ground when we attempt to speak for God. If I were close to this family I would give thanks for the lives that arose from the union of this man and woman, both for those still on earth and those in heaven, pray for the repose of the soul of the mother, and put my efforts into helping the father raise his family.

That is not a question anonymous people on a message board can answer. It is a sign something is wrong physically that should be treated by a doctor. It is not necessarily a “sign from God” that the couple will never have another child.

In vitro is a mortal sin against the Sixth Commandment.

That is a gross misunderstanding of God’s love and God’s will.

Yes, I think you are wrong in your assessment of God “punishing” the couple. God doesn’t work that way. God allows the natural consequences of our choices.

Suffering is not "punishment" but the result of sin brought into this world by man that God will use as a benefit to people who "carry their cross". Suffering will redeem a soul and is positive after Jesus' passion and death. Maybe God permitted the cancer in an effort to bring her holiness and make up for her sins???

Probably not. But we don’t speak for God. He sometimes allows bad things to happen.

The most likely explaination is there is something physically wrong with the woman that she was only able to bring a child to term, via natural means (i.e. without IVF). This should have been discussed with a trained professional.

This is a sin. IVF is never warranted, for several reasons. Firstly, it goes against the unitive and procreative aspects of sex. Secondly, the means which are used to create a baby this way are immoral (i.e. what do you do with all the extra embryos?) Thirdly, did the couple examine any structural diffculties they have?

People seem to forget that children are a privelege and a blessing, not a right. There is always adoption. It is their cross to bear.

We don’t know the mind of God. There may or may not have been a specific reason for this. God does let bad things happen to good people.

As Fr. Corapi says (paraphrasing), “why does God allow evil/bad things to happen? to bring about the greater good!”

God was probably not pleased with the IVF. He does allow people to repent, though.

However, I do not see a link ro inflicting the cancer on the mother. There are good and moral people who have not done IVF or other bad stuff, probably the same thing happen to them.

If God was into smiting people for (potentially mortal) sin or other objective evils, I would be dead several times over.

Bit of a stretch, IMHO.

Thanks!

I know of another couple where the wife had several miscarriages before finally being able to carry her first child to term. Although I cannot speak for God, I believe having miscarriages is not a sign not to try to have babies anymore. As long as a couple engages in the marital act, which could result in a new pregnancy, but also serves the good of expressing their unity and love for each other, there's no sin involved.

In vitro fertilization, on the other hand, is a totally different business. That's sinful and should be avoided.

Well put!!

It would be interesting to consider this though - she had 3 miscarriages…and then they jumped to IVF. This, in my mind, is a terrible consequence of IVF being available. 3 miscarriages in a row would seem to signal some sort of medical problem. Why didn’t the doctors spend more time time trying to heal the woman’s body, instead of rushing to “manufacture” babies artificially?

It’s interesting that breast cancer was found relatively soon afterwards.

[quote="TraderTif, post:8, topic:186293"]
Well put!!

It would be interesting to consider this though - she had 3 miscarriages......and then they jumped to IVF. This, in my mind, is a terrible consequence of IVF being available. 3 miscarriages in a row would seem to signal some sort of medical problem. Why didn't the doctors spend more time time trying to heal the woman's body, instead of rushing to "manufacture" babies artificially?

It's interesting that breast cancer was found relatively soon afterwards.

[/quote]

File this under "things that make you go hmmmm"

It is interesting that the couple felt they had to go about the IVF. I wonder:
1. Was there some sort of other problem that would cause her to have a high percentage of misscarriages? Why not address that issue? Obviously something does not seem healthy about that?
2. I wonder if there is some link between misscarriages and/or IVF and the risks of breast cancer. Maybe if they addressed #1 they could have prevented and/or delayed the cancer.

Again, I'm not a MD nor trying to give medical advice. Just something seems fishy - there may be 101 alternative explainations as to why his happend, therefore making OP's assumption faulty.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.