Vocation advice needed

Hey,

I am new to the forums. I have been discerning a religious vocation, however I have in the past had OCD, I believe due to my personality along with my upbringing.

Currently I have scrupulosity, and am having a hard time overcoming this, due to I lack a good priest to help me. The only priest available to me that could help me is pretty liberal, and recommends centering prayer to me, as well as Richard Rohr theology. How can I find a good priest who can help me discern my vocation and get over these scruples?

I have phone-called a new order recently, which I will keep anonymous, and I don't mean to be judgemental but the person I talked to on the phone seemed pretty dismissive and impatient with my questions when I mentioned I had OCD and told me that *most *religious orders won't accept someone who has a "mental illness." That was a huge let down considering I know I will get over this, I believe soon. Are all good religious orders like this? If it's God's will I want to join a holy religious order faithful to the magesterium of the Church.
Yes I have had OCD affect me in the past with my daily life, but with therapy I am recovering. My major set back is scrupulosity.

My questions are:
Any good priests anyone knows in Iowa or Missouri?

Can scrupulosity probably caused by a psychological problem prevent me from joining a religious order?

If I *recover *from OCD using proven cognative behavioral therapy techniques, as well as keeping them as tools of prevention in case of potiental relapse, mean I still can't join a religious order?

Any experts on this know if a Benedictine or contemplative lifestyle would work for someone who has Scrupulosity especially with impure thoughts during prayer.

Can praying constantly, ie "Jesus prayer" prevent these reoccuring thoughts? I have read Catholic psychology, one Dr. Raymond Richmond suggests this.

Is praying the Jesus prayer constantly, a form of centering prayer?
What is it that makes centered prayer different from using the Cloud of Unknowing or contemplative prayer?
How does one pray constantly? I started to read about it in the Pilgrim's progress, but it was too stressful to just say 3000 times at a time, I think my OCD makes it worse because I think that I must do it without fail. :blush:

May Christ abundantly bless those who help me,

Thanks
Peace in Christ

Welcom to your community: sorry, I am not english. I am asnering by topics

1. What OCD is?

2. Scrupolosity, you have to copy + past in the browser:
    marianland.com/romancatholicbooks/dealingwithcruples.html
    anxietyandstress.com/ocdreligionandscrupulosity.html
    mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupulosity.htm

3. Trying to find a GOOD priest is a sign of scrupulosity. Why do you deserve a GOOD priest? What are the conditions to be a GOOD priest? Does a BAD priest is not a priest? Can a BAD priest be better that a GOOD priest for, though he is weak, Christ works better in him than in a GOOD priest? Please, forget about GOOD priests for you are looking for your own answer in the GOOD priest. Perhaps a BAD priest, who swears and drinks whiskey will be better for you.

4. Great Saints had scrupulosity. You are NOT abnormal or cretin !!!

5. Why not Benedictine for you? I dont see why not.

6. Impure thoughts during prayer? Here we go again. I have dealt with this subject many times during my short stay here. There are no impure thoughts, ok? Suppose that dring prayer in the Church, a gorgeous (and pious) girl sits in front of you. You have and instant and brutal erection. Is this an “impure” erection? How do you teach your penis to behave Catholically? What you call “impure thoughts” are just animal reaction ho hormons, heat, sights and so on. they are not impure as they come from God and your erection came from God (It was God who created sex not the Devil). Sometimes you cannot pray as you wish for those images that come to your mind. What can you do? Nothing. Sit down with Jesus. He knows you are there for Him and are not there to think naughty things. Keep calm and let it be. If the thoughts go, go. If they dont go, they dont go. But you are with Jesus.

7. Dr. Raymond Richmond my be a nice guy and I dont know him.Say Jesus Payer that it is a good prayer. simply dont expect to be the remedy for your "so called impure thoughts " problem as it is no problem at all. You are a living being and all living beeings reproduce otherwise life would disappear on Earth. So, those thoughts are telling you that. The thoughts may disappear or not but not for Jesus Prayer as they are not BAD thoughts.

8. You are going too fast and too self centered. You did not talk once about Jesus Christ and only once about God. You dont talk about God but only about techniques, and ways and books. Go out and serve the others, pray 1 hour a day the most (too much is bad for your mind), work, enjoy life drink a glas of wine twice a day (it is good fot the heart, say the doctors) and dont think about sins, hell or rules. St. Augustin said: “Love and do whatever you want”

9. You are searching for God’s will for you to enter a religious Order. But you did not say or what do you want. What do you want and why?

10. Have you ever thought that you may serve God choosing a good and lively girl (dont choose one who is passive) and raise a Christian Family?

11. Dont treat these things by the phone with religious orders. You put the scenario so bad that the fellow talked about mental-ilnesses. I guess that was the way you put it.

8)Again, Good Priests and again you are looking for a GOOD religious order.A Order so-and-so is not enough. Must be GOOD.

1. I am a teacher, and the problem you suffer is called PERFECTIONISM. You want everything to be PERFECT: the priests, the Pope, the religious orders, your thoughts, you yourself. Romans said: the enemy of the good is the perfect. You dont do anything unless it is perfect. But 99% of the thins are not perfect so dont do. Not even you do medium things because they are not perfect.

Go out, enjoy live, meet girls, drink moderately, pray moderately, smile a lot, find a charity (it does not need to be a GOOD charity) to work with. If God wants you to enter a religious order, you will enter, no matter you enjoy life with girls, wine and dance. If not, you may pray all kind of prayers that you will not get there.

Cheers, Brother, from an Ex-Seminarian (a Bad one)…:thumbsup:

[quote="Lov3sJesus, post:1, topic:247491"]
Hey,

I am new to the forums. I have been discerning a religious vocation, however I have in the past had OCD, I believe due to my personality along with my upbringing.

Currently I have scrupulosity, and am having a hard time overcoming this, due to I lack a good priest to help me. The only priest available to me that could help me is pretty liberal, and recommends centering prayer to me, as well as Richard Rohr theology. How can I find a good priest who can help me discern my vocation and get over these scruples?

I have phone-called a new order recently, which I will keep anonymous, and I don't mean to be judgemental but the person I talked to on the phone seemed pretty dismissive and impatient with my questions when I mentioned I had OCD and told me that *most *religious orders won't accept someone who has a "mental illness." That was a huge let down considering I know I will get over this, I believe soon. Are all good religious orders like this? If it's God's will I want to join a holy religious order faithful to the magesterium of the Church.
Yes I have had OCD affect me in the past with my daily life, but with therapy I am recovering. My major set back is scrupulosity.

My questions are:

Can scrupulosity probably caused by a psychological problem prevent me from joining a religious order?

If I *recover *from OCD using proven cognative behavioral therapy techniques, as well as keeping them as tools of prevention in case of potiental relapse, mean I still can't join a religious order?

Any experts on this know if a Benedictine or contemplative lifestyle would work for someone who has Scrupulosity especially with impure thoughts during prayer.

Can praying constantly, ie "Jesus prayer" prevent these reoccuring thoughts? I have read Catholic psychology, one Dr. Raymond Richmond suggests this.

What is it that makes centered prayer different from using the Cloud of Unknowing or contemplative prayer?
How does one pray constantly? I started to read about it in the Pilgrim's progress, but it was too stressful to just say 3000 times at a time, I think my OCD makes it worse because I think that I must do it without fail. :blush:

Thanks
Peace in Christ

[/quote]

Sorry, forgot to tell, I am new and still finding the corners, join our Forum

OCD/Scrupulosity Group

wishes

Thanks for attempting to answer but, firstly I don't desire parties, drinking, etc. Secondly I have no desire for marriage at this time. My impure thoughts are generally on blasphemy or angry thoughts etc..Any other advice welcomed :)

I should think religious life will actually help a great deal with OCD and scrupulosity, both from the discipline the life imposes and the spiritual direction it requires and provides. So it should not be an impediment--but you must be able to show the obedience necessary for those benefits to occur (if your superior tells you not to bother with something, you must not, out of a spirit of poverty and obedience).

I do think an order with a highly structured community life like the Benedictines or Norbertines could be better for someone like you than one like the Carmelites, that probably require a lot of personal spiritual maturity, within the individual, to sustain. I've never had either of these problems personally, but I imagine they are easier to control when praying in choir than when praying all alone.

Also, every monastery is different, so I would not read too much into the atmosphere or feeling you get from one particular one. Even just between Benedictine houses there is a huge variety.

It is true that if your OCD is too big of a problem it would be an obstacle, but having had OCD, or having it (mostly) under control, shouldn't be. The order may require some kind of psychological evaluation or references in order to pray and discern about this. But again, religious life should make this even easier to manage. But it may be the case too that God will require you to make serious progress on this *before *you begin religious life.

[/quote]

Centering prayer is a banned topic on these forums (it's very divisive), so we can't talk about it here.

My questions are:

YES PM me and ai will give you some info. Scoob

[quote="Lov3sJesus, post:4, topic:247491"]
Thanks for attempting to answer but, firstly I don't desire parties, drinking, etc. Secondly I have no desire for marriage at this time. My impure thoughts are generally on blasphemy or angry thoughts etc..Any other advice welcomed :)

[/quote]

Jesus loved parties, in some of them there were prostitutes and he was accused of dealing with them. It seems to me that in the States, I dont know, I listen from what i read, IM Portuguese, there are many puritanical currents, no drinking, behaving well.... do you realize that in Canaa just transformed the water in wine WHEN THEY HAD NO MORE WINE !!! I guess they were not slow drinkers ....

Are you avoiding Earth's pleasures?

You dont have a desire to arriga, and what about dating only?

Blasphemy thoughts, what's That? Are you angry at God? That's prayer .....:)

[quote="supertubos, post:8, topic:247491"]
Jesus loved parties, in some of them there were prostitutes and he was accused of dealing with them. It seems to me that in the States, I dont know, I listen from what i read, IM Portuguese, there are many puritanical currents, no drinking, behaving well.... do you realize that in Canaa just transformed the water in wine WHEN THEY HAD NO MORE WINE !!! I guess they were not slow drinkers ....

Are you avoiding Earth's pleasures?

You dont have a desire to arriga, and what about dating only?

Blasphemy thoughts, what's That? Are you angry at God? That's prayer .....:)

[/quote]

We need to avoid worldly pleasures and passions of the flesh so we can live in Christ. Jesus taught this in the sowing of the seed parable, todays gospel reading. We need to avoid the anxieties of the world. Matthew 13:22, I recommend reading Chapter 13 carefully and with one's heart. We are in the world not of the world. If we try to turn ourselves away from the pleasures of this world then we can truly thirst for God and not the flesh or the world. To truly live in the Spirit of Christ is difficult but rewarding try it and you will see the world with new eyes full of Gods love.

Hey,

My questions are:

Thanks
Peace in Christ

[/quote]

I would continue with therapy as that and medication can be effective. As I recall there were some orders that were willing to deal with some minor mental health issues (maybe someone will post). Obviously, when living in community is tough enough, anything else that could become burdensome or disruptive needs to be considered by them. It is unfortunate that they were rude to you but there issue was probably legit.

Do not give up hope. Therapy may help you overcome this and once healthy for a period of time, you may be able to apply.

On top of that do not be discouraged. Here are some other potentially fulfilling options for you:

i) Join a third order Franciscan, Dominican, Cisctercian, etc group. You will be officially a member of a religious order but because of the nature of it, your OCD would not likely be a major issue as long as you could go through postulancy, etc.

ii) Inquire about an order like the Servants of the Sacred Cross. It is ecumenical but has Catholic sisters. Catholic Bishop in Australia seems supportive. You can become a Sister and live in your own home and continue to work and do whatever you do. I would not be surprised if this order enters the ordinariate (not sure but would seem a candidate). thesacredcross.org/life.htm I do not know but they may be willing to consider if you are not resident in the convent. Contact them and find out anyway. {In fact looked at site and it says the physical and psychological evals are for the Conventual Sisters. The Extern Sisters does not have those requirements. You could inquire about being an Extern Sister but would need to continue to support yourself.}
Video of clothing of novices thesacredcross.org/video2_2010.htm

iii) There is another ecumenical order called the Order of Saint Luke. It is Methodist but has members from different denominations. You can be married or single and it is dispersed. You would continue to work and live in your home area. saint-luke.org

[quote="Lov3sJesus, post:9, topic:247491"]
We need to avoid worldly pleasures and passions of the flesh so we can live in Christ. Jesus taught this in the sowing of the seed parable, todays gospel reading. We need to avoid the anxieties of the world. Matthew 13:22, I recommend reading Chapter 13 carefully and with one's heart. We are in the world not of the world. If we try to turn ourselves away from the pleasures of this world then we can truly thirst for God and not the flesh or the world. To truly live in the Spirit of Christ is difficult but rewarding try it and you will see the world with new eyes full of Gods love.

[/quote]

My opinion: you are exaggerating for one side.
On the one hand, you did not reply to any of my comments for they seem to go against your conception.
You seem to want to be an angel and that gives bad results...
Who created pleasure ? God or the Devil ?
I suppose you are not Manichean
cheers ..........................

Thanks for everyone that helped me so far,

God bless :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.