A few weeks ago, I had spoken to my mother about my desire to enter the Order of Friars Minor next year at the age of 18, but she had told me to wait until after I finished College before I made any decision. I accepted this for a time, until I spoke to my spiritual director and several other priests who told me that it would not be necessary to go to College first and even saw it as a waste of time and money. My spiritual director encouraged me to not delay entering until after College, and told me that I may have to make a decision that would displease my family.
I told my mother yesterday, and long story short: she was furious... She told me that I needed to obey her, I am still immature, and that waiting until after College was for my own good.
I feel stuck and don't know what to do. I know that we have an obligation to obey our parents and their advice, and in some ways I agree that I am not mature enough, but I feel like God has spoken through my spiritual director and my confessor (who seemed very surprised that I would consider waiting another 5 years)... I'm feeling quite strange on the inside right now- it's a mixture of confidence and sadness. I feel like this is what God wants me to do, but I know that World War III would ensue in my family if I truly do enter next year... Please pray for me, and any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks and God bless!