Vocation and adhd

Hey all:

I'm applying for a candidate year at Moreau Seminary and have a minor concern. I have ADHD, but I've never had trouble as a result of it; I have a 3.8 GPA at Notre Dame and I've never been in any sort of disciplinary trouble. Nevertheless, will my application reviewers turn a wary eye to this so-called "disorder?"

• Pray and spend time with Jesus in Eucharistic Adoration

• Be honest with them...They might ask if you are taking any medications for your ADHD.

Here is an older thread with a familiar question

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=521193

• With God, all things are possible

• Don't be discouraged if they may tell you "No" This may not be where God is calling you.

God be with you on your journey and I'm Praying with and for you.

goforgoal

You have to take the things like they are, humans like they are. God speaks through them.

They might want to know more about how your relationships with others are. If your ADHD is so bad that it drains everyone around you, they won’t want you in the seminary until you are able to manage it. You clearly know what you’re doing academically, and can manage things enough socially and emotionally to maintain your impressive academic record. I wouldn’t worry about that- besides, if it’s meant to be and you persevere, it will happen.

You have nothing to worry about. I know many Holy Cross Priests and brothers and they are some of the most genuine and compassionate people I have ever met. You will be just fine. Say a prayer for the intercession of St. Andre…that cannot hurt. Good luck at Moreau!!!

No. You must remember that you’re apply to enter a religious congregation. Holy Cross was founded a a reliigious congregation of Brothers. The priests were added to provide the sacraments for the brothers and their students. The focus of the congregation has never changed: to educate while living in a brotherhood of men committed to prayer and service.

A condition is considered to be an impediment if it makes it difficult for the religious to do the work of the congregation or to live in community. If you diagnosis is such that ADHD does ont interfere in your ability to teach and to live in fraternity with others, I don’t believe that it will be a factor.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :slight_smile:

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.