Vocation and DUI

Hi, I was wondering about a possible vocation being rejected because of a DUI; it happened in College; the subject is 34, DUI a year ago. Woul a seminary reject this candidate? How about religious communities? Even more, he is thinking about joining the FSSP, would they consider him?

I can't say for certain, but I would think he wouldn't be dismissed for that reason alone. Especially if he was truly sorry and has confessed his sin.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Look at St. Augustine. =)

I don’t think a PAST event like that would be a deterrent, But the time may be a problem being only a year has passed. The worse case scenario would probably be “let’s wait a year or two and then let’s talk” In my seminary if you are caught driving drunk that would be a dismissal for sure.
We have a seminarian who I dearly like and he came in drunk and a couple of seminarians emailed his formation advisor and I hope she won’t kick him out. If I was around I would just let it go and try to talk to him privately. Drinking and seminary is like electricity and water. But I would say a past is not a deal breaker. It is what you do IN seminary. Scoob

Thanks, it looks like there's some hope there; however, I was wondering, since the person wants to join the FSSP, that it being a traditionalist order, it might not help him. I think they are traditional not only regarding the mass, but they would be old fashioned, and I have heard stories of convents and seminaries in old times that would dismiss a novice for not eating his/her peas (!). Well, there's only a way to find out, let's hope that's not the case though.

The past is always looked at to show a possibility of future actions.

Is there a drinking problem involved? Is there a drinking problem that your friend will not admit to?

I do not think an isolated DUI would stop the process but as stated, it might slow it down. It will also be kept in mind when judging future actions.

[quote="Santael, post:4, topic:255021"]
Thanks, it looks like there's some hope there; however, I was wondering, since the person wants to join the FSSP, that it being a traditionalist order, it might not help him. I think they are traditional not only regarding the mass, but they would be old fashioned, and I have heard stories of convents and seminaries in old times that would dismiss a novice for not eating his/her peas (!). Well, there's only a way to find out, let's hope that's not the case though.

[/quote]

If it is God's will for you to be a Priest with the FSSP, it will happen. If your vocation is somewhere else, then if you happen to be rejected then it is your cross to bear as you walk with Christ. Trust in God my friend, He won't lead you astray. Just trust in Him. Stop thinking about "what ifs" and just go where you think God is calling you. You'll beat yourself up over these kinds of questions until the day of your ordination unless you stop right now and make a firm amendment to follow Christ and stop letting these things get you down. They could be an obstacle to your real vocation. Either way, it won't matter, will it. Either the DUI will or won't be an obstacle. Either way, you are going to apply. Either way, you will trust in God.

Good luck and I've said a short prayer for your vocation.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.