Vocation discernment

A priest friend of mine who is doing the same studies course as myself may be an answer to prayer.

I am finishing a Master of Theology degree, but am married and have 2 children at primary school.

I had not seriously thought of ministry as an option based on the fact that I am obedient to the decision of the Vatican that Priests must be celebate.

So why am I continuing to study theology? Like St. Paul exclaimed, "Woe am I if I dont preach the gospel!" I too, follow Christ and his Apostles.

With the introduction of the Permanent Diaconate (since VII- 2008 in my dio) he has suggested that I would be good for this role.

Could some mebers of this Forum suggest some further ways in which I could add to my discernment?

Thanking you in advance...

[quote="christosdavid, post:1, topic:248717"]
A priest friend of mine who is doing the same studies course as myself may be an answer to prayer.

I am finishing a Master of Theology degree, but am married and have 2 children at primary school.

I had not seriously thought of ministry as an option based on the fact that I am obedient to the decision of the Vatican that Priests must be celebate.

So why am I continuing to study theology? Like St. Paul exclaimed, "Woe am I if I dont preach the gospel!" I too, follow Christ and his Apostles.

With the introduction of the Permanent Diaconate (since VII- 2008 in my dio) he has suggested that I would be good for this role.

Could some mebers of this Forum suggest some further ways in which I could add to my discernment?

Thanking you in advance...

[/quote]

ok.......I guess this isnt the real forum for vocations. In future I wont ask anything where I may feel hurt or left out. remain superficial, the key to sucess:thumbsup:

I am new here. so my advice may not be the best. but here goes. You are married with children and want to discern whether or not you are called to something? right? What do you feel called to?? Get it out on the table. be honest with yourself. Are you called to priesthood? are you called to the diaconate? Since you are getting a degree in theology perhaps you're called to teach. I would talk to a spiritual director and I would pray (obviously) I would talk to your firend who is studying to be a priest. I hope I understand the question you're asking. Help with discernment,, I owuld try to listen for God's voice and his desires for your life. If you feel called to priesthood and don't want to admit it. Admit it and talk to God about it. If your'e married I doubt that God would call you to the priesthood, Although I have heard of a man called to priesthood and was married and his wife agreed to become a nun. That is my advice or feeings on this question. Mike.

Thanks for getting back to me, I was starting to feel left out :wink: I have always felt called to teach and believe that it is a noble calling and vocation, as is marriage. I was in a way content to leave it there because it contains a significant amount already.

Ministry (through the diaconate in my case) is a new suggestion for me. This is the one which I am currently praying for discernment in. My priest friend has already finished our week long intensive and returned to his parish, my parish and the adjacent one has just lost its PP. I feel the loss of this keenly because my Parish Priest was a very godly man who I am sure could have helped my direction.

The new priest doesnt know me anymore than you guys do, so I feel a bit left out there too. He is only staying for 3 months. filling in until a new PP is found.

So, I shall keep praying that if God wants me to do ministry in this way, he’ll make it obvious to me.:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.