Vocation for the weirdos?

I just noticed that weird guys tend to get attracted to me… a few years ago, I thought probably I have a vocation with the weirdos? What do u think?

Well, I wouldn’t call it a vocation so much as I would say that maybe the Lord is trying to point out to you that He wants you to care about fringier people, or that he sees you as especially aware of it. However, I don’t know you, so maybe you actually have a problem with them and He’s telling you to ease up! LOL

I’m a weirdo, and it always helps me to remember that a person’s dignity and right to be respected and loved comes from the very fact that they’re human in the first place. It doesn’t come from degree and diplomas, IQs or hobbies, special talents or privileged background, or even open mindedness or any other accident of their human essence. Just the fact that they’re human is reason enough, for we all have been endowed with inalienable rights by our Creator.

/cue Patriotic music.

I am thinking that if you are referring to these individuals as "weirdo" any vocation you might attempt with them might not succeed. Just my thought anyway.

[quote="sirius25, post:1, topic:269638"]
I just noticed that weird guys tend to get attracted to me.. a few years ago, I thought probably I have a vocation with the weirdos? What do u think?

[/quote]

You have my full and undivided attention.

Ha, then clearly my vocation is with the clueless old guys who can't figure out that women half their age are just never going to be interested.... :rolleyes:

Just kidding... I think I'm going to have to agree with elibrimom on this one!

OK. Just let me clarify my statement. I don't have anything against them. In fact, that's why I think they are attracted to me in the first place coz I'm one of the few who they feel accepts them. And I have to change the term. I think everyone is weird in a way. I think the right term is "outcast". You know, the ones a lot of people don't like because they can be annoying, arrogant, or just more insensitive (compared to the average person) to other people.

I'm a Weirdo!!!:D

You are probably nice to them, smile, and engage them in conversation. They, in turn, think you like them and want more.

I had (and sort of have) the same experience. There was one guy in my college years ago who was obviously lonely and an outcast, due to his physical appearance and his personal behaviors. I was nice to him, asked him how his day was going, etc. I had a boyfriend, but this other guy REALLY wanted to date me. As in he told me to dump my boyfriend and go out with him instead. I was in no way interested in him that way, and his aggressive pushiness really pushed me away. So he ended up losing that friendship.

When he heard Dh had died, he called me a few months later and mentioned, “If you ever want to get together and hang out some time…” Uh, no.

I am still nice to everyone, but I am much more guarded.

Be careful. It's easy to get attracted to people with disordered behaviours as a result of conditioning effected by one's past (traumatic) experience.

If you get attention from the wrong type of men (wrong as in either objectively troubling in their behaviours or subjectively not the type you'd prefer), you may want to sit down and look for the pattern, then try to do something about it by eliminating the cause or by taking some precautions.

Oooh, oooh, I'm a weirdo!!! :) :D

[quote="Catholic90, post:8, topic:269638"]
You are probably nice to them, smile, and engage them in conversation. They, in turn, think you like them and want more.

I had (and sort of have) the same experience. There was one guy in my college years ago who was obviously lonely and an outcast, due to his physical appearance and his personal behaviors. I was nice to him, asked him how his day was going, etc. I had a boyfriend, but this other guy REALLY wanted to date me. As in he told me to dump my boyfriend and go out with him instead. I was in no way interested in him that way, and his aggressive pushiness really pushed me away. So he ended up losing that friendship.

When he heard Dh had died, he called me a few months later and mentioned, "If you ever want to get together and hang out some time...." Uh, no.

I am still nice to everyone, but I am much more guarded.

[/quote]

Wow! I do have a similar experience to yours. This one particular guy, also an outcast, is also very pushy. I told him bluntly that I can only be his friend, nothing more. But he was so pushy. So I told him I don't love him. He still begged saying I'll learn to love him in time. It was so annoying, I had to make up a story that there's a guy I'm in love with already, that he's overseas at the moment. Then he said to take a chance on him coz the other guy is too far away.

So I figured he won't really take no for an answer no matter what so I too ended up our friendship.

[quote="chevalier, post:9, topic:269638"]
Be careful. It's easy to get attracted to people with disordered behaviours as a result of conditioning effected by one's past (traumatic) experience.

If you get attention from the wrong type of men (wrong as in either objectively troubling in their behaviours or subjectively not the type you'd prefer), you may want to sit down and look for the pattern, then try to do something about it by eliminating the cause or by taking some precautions.

[/quote]

Hmm.. can't think of a pattern really.. except maybe I was nice to them initially?

Those who are different in some way and not readily accepted can latch on to a person simply because they are treated just like any other person. Some can be 'over clingy' and this is not easy to deal with and honesty is always the best policy - honesty without being unkind or hurtful.

I have experienced the exact same situations. It’s good to be friendly, but I also keep a distance. I have talked to other young ladies with this problem and I think one thing in is not being direct enough when I say “no” .
The other side is sometimes ( not always) there is a resin they are on the fringe. Like when they get aggressive.
It is good to always be polite but don’t overdo it. No friendly hugging or touching.

Ah I was misreading your post; do you mean "attracted" as in sexually/relationship wise, or that you feel a calling to work with eg street dwellers etc.?

In either case YOU have to set the boundaries, clearly and immediately. To avoid misunderstandings and often more damage to others. ..As well as endangering yourself...

To keep things in perspective, when we talk about "weirdos", just remember that one definition of "normal" is "what everyone else is and you are not". (Pop quiz: name the movie this quote is from).

It's my humorous way of saying that everyone can be "weird" in their own way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.