Vocation Help

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums, and am discerning a vocation to the priesthood. I really love teaching and studying, and consider myself to be faithful to the church teachings, and "orthodox". I also like both the OF, and EF of mass.

Thus can anyone suggest a male religious order that works in higher education but that is also "orthodox" and faithful to the church??

The orders I've looked at so far are the Norbertine Fathers of St Michael's Abbey, Oblates of the Virgin Mary (If possible I'd love to teach in a seminary), and Mercedarians. Any suggestions/feedback would be great.

Thanks.

Have you considered the Dominicans? Make sure you look at the right group of Dominicans. I think if you would ask someone at St. Cecelia's Convent in Nashville, TN, they could steer you in the right direction. They're very orthodox, and I trust their judgement. They would know.

Franciscan's teach I was a former one]

Dominicans

Jesuits

Brothes of St Francis

Brothers of ther Sacred Heart

There are so many religioius orders that teach and I suggest that you order thaT IS CALLED VOCATIONS and in it it willl give you about 100 different religioius orders

As for Diocesan priests, they ofd course would teach theology in their own Diocese in on of the high schools

If you want more info beause I don't have time to get it, please send me a private message

God bless you in your endeavors to serve Christ and the students

If I were you I'd avoid the Jesuits like the plague. They have become a haven for those who support heretical teachings.

Ok thanks guys, just out of question has anyone heard or experienced the Mercedarian Friars?? Do you know if they are orthodox??

Thanks again.

They are extremely orthodox. I discerned/am still in contact with them. Get in touch with Fr. Joseph Eddy, the vocations director. He's fantastic.

[quote="Jim_Roberts, post:3, topic:247934"]
Franciscan's teach I was a former one]

Dominicans

Jesuits

Brothes of St Francis

Brothers of ther Sacred Heart

There are so many religioius orders that teach and I suggest that you order thaT IS CALLED VOCATIONS and in it it willl give you about 100 different religioius orders

As for Diocesan priests, they ofd course would teach theology in their own Diocese in on of the high schools

If you want more info beause I don't have time to get it, please send me a private message

God bless you in your endeavors to serve Christ and the students

[/quote]

Carmelites teach also.

My province has 5 high schools in the States and a couple in Peru. We also have members who teach in universities/seminaries as well as doing spiritual direction (generally as well as in the seminary setting).

[quote="AdvanceAlways, post:6, topic:247934"]
They are extremely orthodox. I discerned/am still in contact with them. Get in touch with Fr. Joseph Eddy, the vocations director. He's fantastic.

[/quote]

Yes I am, and thanks that is good to hear. I've read they are growing in leaps, and bounds. Generally a good sign.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Oblates of the Virgin Mary??

The Norbertines were on EWTN maybe last year, and they seem awesome! Totally Orthodox, reverent homilies, loving Community, etc.

The Norbertines Fathers of St. Michael's Abbey are excellent, I would recommend the order to anyone in a heartbeat. They use the OF (with kneeling for Holy Communion) at the abbey, but many priests from the abbey do celebrate the EF. They run a boarding prep school and several parishes, but do not work in higher education.

I personally know one Norbertine and he is the most orthodox, reverent, and knowledgeable priest I know. He always celebrates the OF, but he would "collect" the kneelers of the church (not the abbey) to make a communion rail. And one time he celebrated an OF Mass in Latin. He mentioned several times things that were lost such as churches (and priests) facing East and Sacred Chant.

I don't know much about the Mercedarians, but I heard that they are very orthodox and use the EF.

Two very orthodox orders that work in higher education are the Dominicans and the Institute of the Incarnate Word (IVE). The IVE run many seminaries around the world. The Norbertines, Dominicans, and the IVE are having many vocations to their orders. You should also check out the Congregation of the Holy Cross (they work exclusively in education. I heard the many of them are orthodox but also many aren't -- one of their members invited Obama to Notre Dame) and the Marians of the Immaculate Conception.

Good luck with your vocation!

See forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=581407

Best wishes. :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone I'll check them out.. And if you have any other suggestions please let me know!:)

If the Jesuits were orthodox, I know I'd most likely be discerning a vocation with them, but to be honest I cannot stand them..

[quote="TradCatholic7, post:12, topic:247934"]
Thanks everyone I'll check them out.. And if you have any other suggestions please let me know!:)

If the Jesuits were orthodox, I know I'd most likely be discerning a vocation with them, but to be honest I cannot stand them..

[/quote]

Please read the link in OCarm's reply above.

All religious institutes in communion with the Church are orthodox.

May I suggest the Fathers of Mercy in Auburn, KY.

[quote="HOLYHEARTS, post:14, topic:247934"]

[/quote]

Thanks I'll take a look at them. Believe it or not I think one of them was actually preaching a mission at a neighboring parish last week..

[quote="HOLYHEARTS, post:14, topic:247934"]

[/quote]

Oh, they are totally awesome! Fr. Wade M. is amazing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.