Vocation in Islamic state in Nigeria

Hello, it might be awesome to work as a nun or lay religious in an Islamic state in Nigeria. This would help convert those Islamic people to Catholicism, which could help with Muslim/Christian tensions and help the Islamic people to catch up materially/economically with southern Nigeria.

Having lived in the United States all my life it is challenging for me to explore this vocation. What are good ways to explore this vocation? Its not like a vocation to a local religious order where one can simply visit for a few months to decide. Also, it seems there are so many religious in developing countries, so many that the Pope has said they will have to help in evangelizing the Western world. How would one know if there are already too many religious there?

A man from our parish was ordained to the priesthood for the Diocese of Mogadishu, Somila last May.

He had much the same thoughts. He started seminary studies for the Archdiocese of Detroit, but began wondering what diocese in the world was most in need of priests, and looking to serve there.

It turns out is was Somalia.

He's there now. The See itself is vacant, after the last bishop there was murdered in 1989. The diocese is under the care of the Bishop of Djbouti.

In fact his bishop was at our parish today to say Mass. He was in the US to witness the ordination of a Somali national for the San Antonio and he took some time to come up to Detroit to meet with the family of his new priest and to see our parish.

Great homily :thumbsup:

Thank you very much! Another country that is of interest is Botswana. There are so few Catholics there, and the country is much beloved for me. :slight_smile: Only 5% of the population is Catholic, and there has only been one bishop.

How did he do this? Did he transfer from a seminary in the United States to one in Somalia? Is there any way for me to contact him directly through facebook or something? :slight_smile:

Hi Eternalrest,

I wish you goof luck and strength for you to fulfil your vocation, God willing.

I don't know much about your situation, but I can offer a little knowledge that I have (although you probably already know this).

I had a friend who was from Nigeria, and she was Christian (Pentecostal) and she came from Enugu. Maybe you would be helped if you liaised with the Christian communities in Nigeria. I do know that their churches are targeted by Islamists :(

I also watched a TV programme which demonstrated rife corruption in the churches there (not all of them I expect), with most of the money being siphoned off by the pastor. Just so you are aware.

Yes, the issue is that Enugu is the southern part of Nigeria that already has a very large Christian presence. Almost ALL Catholics in Africa are from this southern Area. Christian and Catholic are very different, and the Catholic church probably doesn’t have the same problem with corruption being under accountability to Rome.

[quote="eternalrest, post:3, topic:285981"]

How did he do this? Did he transfer from a seminary in the United States to one in Somalia? Is there any way for me to contact him directly through facebook or something? :)

[/quote]

He began his studies at Sacred Heart Major Semininary and was looking to become a diocesan priest for the Archdiocese. That seminary serves all the diocese in Michigan.

From what I understand, he began to think that it might be his calling to serve in one of the Michgan diocese that were really lacking in new priests. From there, it went to perhaps it would be better to serve in the diocese in the WORLD that was in most need of priests.

That turned out the be Mogadisu. So he completed his Philosophy studies at Sacred Heart and transferred to a seminary in Dujouji (Somalia does have a seminary).

He completed his studies there, and was ordained into the Diocese of Mogadisu

I'll talk to his family and see if I can get an email. He works a lot in the refugee camps, so FB is really not much of an option.

Hi,

Firstly, if you seriously have that vocation - you will totally be in my prayers!
You are one brave guy!

I am in discernment in Ireland & come from a Muslim background (Dad is Muslim from Algeria).
In Algeria alone Christian churches are being closed & all non-Islamic worship is becoming illegal. I understand you can now be arrested for possession of a Bible or christian literature.

Good Luck and God Bless your Vocation

AVE MARIA!
unlike the already mentioned countries in need of priest or religious, Nigeria is experiencing vocation boom.
There are 52 dioceses within 9 archdioceses in nigeria each with nothing less than 50 priests.
There are about 10 different religious orders including the jesuits,dominicans,benedictines,trappist,carmelites(ocd),augustinians(osa),capuchins,poor clares,etc in Nigeria each with nothing less than 60 solemnly professed members except the poor clares who are 20 altogether with 13 solemnly professed nuns because they dont need much members.
There are about 50(and above) congregations of both pontifical and diocesan right in Nigeria and each with nothing less than 60 finally professed members,viz;Franciscans of the immaculate,society of our mother peace,the national institute of miossionary society of st Paul(MSP),redemtorists,two heart of love,paulines,josephites,passionist,saviour brothers,priest,sisters and contemplatives,e.t.c
There are also other institutes in Nigeria like opus dei,mile jesu e.t.c who re also present with much members.
So there are much evangelisers for the evangelical works even in the muslim states,but Op, you are highly welcome to my country for the greater glory of God.
I plegde NIGERIA my country!
AVE MARIA

Ave Maria!

Are you associated with the FI? I was posting to mention the Franciscans of the Immaculate have missions there and how I hear the native people are very receptive to receive the faith. They are eager to learn and practice their faith, and so the harvest is very abundant and very much in need of laborers because the fruit will be very great. God bless you, the friars and sisters, and all of Nigeria. Ave Maria!

Mary, Mother of Vocations, pray for us!

In Corda Iesu et Mariae,

fra John Paul, FI

We have many priests in our diocese here in the states who come from Nigeria. They come here to study and then stay here instead of going back to their country. Some of them are quite dynamic. Not sure why they don’t want to go back and serve their countrymen. I guess they are needed here as we have less and less vocations. They tell us that their seminaries are crowded and they have lots of priests and religious. Perhaps it is the part of the country they come from.

[quote="FFI_Griswold, post:9, topic:285981"]
Ave Maria!

Are you associated with the FI? I was posting to mention the Franciscans of the Immaculate have missions there and how I hear the native people are very receptive to receive the faith. They are eager to learn and practice their faith, and so the harvest is very abundant and very much in need of laborers because the fruit will be very great. God bless you, the friars and sisters, and all of Nigeria. Ave Maria!

Mary, Mother of Vocations, pray for us!

In Corda Iesu et Mariae,

fra John Paul, FI

[/quote]

AVE MARIA!

I will start my aspirancy onthe 5th of August,well honestly speaking i must commend the FI in Nigeria,they are really hardworking,I have not seen any hardworking religious community as the FIs'.I have never seen a superior or the head of a mission very hardworking as Fr M salazar FI;he paints,builds,operates tractor,wow! he can do many things and it was through his extravagant effort that the new city of the immaculate came to completion.
God bless all of them and more greese to their elbows and to you,fr john paul, I know you are working for the Immaculate.

AVE MARIA!

[quote="Joannm, post:10, topic:285981"]
We have many priests in our diocese here in the states who come from Nigeria. They come here to study and then stay here instead of going back to their country. Some of them are quite dynamic. Not sure why they don't want to go back and serve their countrymen. I guess they are needed here as we have less and less vocations. They tell us that their seminaries are crowded and they have lots of priests and religious. Perhaps it is the part of the country they come from.

[/quote]

You are right most of our Priest after studies they dont come back, they are retained in most of the foreign countries in need of priests e.g I have an uncle who is pastoring a church in Georgia, st katherine since 2009.

[quote="Joannm, post:10, topic:285981"]
We have many priests in our diocese here in the states who come from Nigeria. They come here to study and then stay here instead of going back to their country. Some of them are quite dynamic. Not sure why they don't want to go back and serve their countrymen. I guess they are needed here as we have less and less vocations. They tell us that their seminaries are crowded and they have lots of priests and religious. Perhaps it is the part of the country they come from.[/QUOT
E]

AVE MARIA!

You are right most of our Priest after studies they dont come back, they are retained in most of the foreign countries in need of priests e.g I have an uncle who is pastoring a church in Georgia, st katherine since 2009.
There is vocation boom in all the parts and not in some part.For instance, the spiritans had 1012 applicants this year.There is truely boom in vocation in this part of the world while the Europeans that brought christainity to us are experiencing the opposite.

AVE MARIA!

[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.