Vocation Question

I've been discerning a religious life over the past year and a half and I've come to the realization that I feel called to work as a parish priest but I also feel called to live and pray in community and take vows of chastity, obedience and poverty. I'm confused as to if I'm called to join a religious order (where it is very possible to work as a parish priest but not guaranteed) or if I'm called to be a diocesan priest. Any suggestions?

First, you should talk to a spiritual director. If you don't have one, you should get one--he can help you discern your vocation. Next, you might call your diocese's vocations director. He can point you in the right direction. If you feel as though God is calling you to something, but you're not sure what, it can't hurt to visit religious communities and seminaries to check out the life there. Above all, pray. Try to develop a rich, consistent prayer life--if you have access to the Liturgy of the Hours, try to pray that at least a couple of times a day to get into the habit.

You're in my prayers!

-ACEGC

[quote="retniw18, post:1, topic:220492"]
I've been discerning a religious life over the past year and a half and I've come to the realization that I feel called to work as a parish priest but I also feel called to live and pray in community and take vows of chastity, obedience and poverty. I'm confused as to if I'm called to join a religious order (where it is very possible to work as a parish priest but not guaranteed) or if I'm called to be a diocesan priest. Any suggestions?

[/quote]

There are a few orders/congregations that do this sort of thing. One congregation that I'm familiar with is the Oblates of the Virgin Mary. They're some excellent theologically sound priests that provide the opportunity for a lot of parish work.

Without pointing you to any charism because I don't know you and it would be irresponsible to do that - one thing you could possibly do in some larger dioceses or archdioceses is look at being a Secular clergy but - joining a Third Order that lives in community. (This is not a suggestion but for instance the Third Order Regulars in Boston) The above poster is correct you really should work this out with a spiritual director as until you sit down with someone who can best define your charism then many of these questions are difficult to answer.

*As already noted contacting your vocations director and obtaining a spiritual director are both sound steps... as well of course as praying.

There are many orders of priests who do work in parishes... by starting with your vocations director and obtaining advice from your spritual director you would at least begin to develope a concrete plan. They would also be able to help you to begin to discern what charism you might be drawn to as priest who live in community would normally follow a particular rule or way of life.

Blessings and Good Luck on your search! Please let us all know how things progress, and if you are making progress on your journey? BTW are there any mens communities near you? or days of prayer? or vocation days?
Good Luck and Blessings!
Sr Debbie O.S.C.*

[quote="retniw18, post:1, topic:220492"]

[/quote]

You can be ordained in a religious order, where they take vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience. In many religious orders, you join the religious life first, and then you become a priest. I feel like I am in the same situation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.