Vocation Question

religious-vocation.com/index.html

The article here states that Holy orders is a better Vocation than marriage.

If marriage is a calling from God, why would it be lesser than another vocation? If everyone want's to be as holy as they can, wouldn't everyone live a consecrated life?

There’s no better vocation than the one you are called to.:thumbsup:

I guess then my question is, why would God call someone to a lesser vocation?

[quote="TheInquisitor, post:3, topic:268410"]
I guess then my question is, why would God call someone to a lesser vocation?

[/quote]

Because perhaps that's all that's needed of them.

There is no "lesser" vocation. In every vocation we are called to serve God, whether it's in holy orders or marriage. Every vocation is equal to each other.

As a way of showing forth the Church’s holiness, it is to be recognized that the consecrated life, which mirrors Christ’s own way of life, has an objective superiority.”

Pope John Paul is saying that the Consecrated Life exemplifies Christ’s own way of life.

See Familiaris Consortio (On the Role of the Modern Family in the Modern World) scborromeo.org/docs/familaris_consortio.pdf for a wonderful discussion by John Paul II on the family. In this document the family is definitely not second place.

This is where some can find it confusing. Religious Life and the priesthood are theologically “objectively superior”; however, in the subjective sense nothing can be theologically higher or better than God’s Will, God’s particular call in life. If I embrace say the priesthood in order to live in an objectively superior state, I am making a mistake though mistakes can be corrected. If I seek my vocation seeking God’s Will and invitation for me in the scheme of things, I am closer to God.

God has created us, the human being. a sexual creature and marriage is the natural way, the way of our nature and its fulfillment. Religious life and the priesthood are celibate states and these are not natural states for the human being. They are super natural (supernatural) states of life. And the supernatural is above the natural.

If I am reflecting on vocations objectively, then religious life and the priesthood are higher vocations since their objective is to give the self to God alone and only God and for the sake of His Kingdom in a state that transcends our nature. If I reflect on my own call from God, nothing is higher than what He calls and invites me to fulfill - and it may be to give oneself to God through marriage i.e. marital partner and children, if any. God asks and invites to give the self to Him in this way and for the sake of His Kingdom in the natural state for the human being.

Whatever vocation in life one may have, it is God who grants all the Graces necessary to fulfill that vocation to holiness. Why God calls and invites one person to this and anotherto something different has nothing to do with loving some more or some less. God needs particular people in particular places or lifestyles, roles in The Church, and will grant all the Graces necessary for this role - also all the human qualities necessary for the role and vocation, be it Pope or married person.

To reflect within the confines of my own ego and its needs is one thing, while to reflect lovingly on God and His Will, His Invitations in life, is another. God’s Will can be a great mystery and that is where we may have to allow unfoldings (the why’s of it all) to remain.

Mankind and The Church, the priesthood and religious life would be dying out if there were no marriages. All the vocations are interdependant and interconnected to build up The Church, the Mystical Body of Christ on earth. Just as The Church would be dying out without ordinations. The Church would be impoverished and perhaps even be dying out without religious vocations in which the Ministery of Christ in works of love and mercy are specifically and solely addressed in a lifelong commitment in the state of celibacy.

Thank you guys for the answers. I think I understand. God doesn’t love people more or less, he just calls people to what he made them for.

Just one last question, I also have heard that people in the religious life receive more reward in heaven for their service. Could someone clear this up for me as well?

[quote="TheInquisitor, post:8, topic:268410"]
Thank you guys for the answers. I think I understand. God doesn't love people more or less, he just calls people to what he made them for.

Just one last question, I also have heard that people in the religious life receive more reward in heaven for their service. Could someone clear this up for me as well?

[/quote]

it hard to know The balance God uses. But we know that We will be judged according to our works and the greatness of the word is the love with which it was done so if the religious have more faith, work and true love (leaving father, mother,etc for the sake of the kingdom is a good work that requires much love) then it is true BUT we don't know if they have more work based on love. But their state and sacrife done 4 the right reasons should increase their glory.
Ubenedictus

[quote="Ubenedictus, post:9, topic:268410"]
it hard to know The balance God uses. But we know that We will be judged according to our works and the greatness of the word is the love with which it was done so if the religious have more faith, work and true love (leaving father, mother,etc for the sake of the kingdom is a good work that requires much love) then it is true BUT we don't know if they have more work based on love. But their state and sacrife done 4 the right reasons should increase their glory.
Ubenedictus

[/quote]

So.. Forgive me if I don't understand. But holy orders do, in fact get more reward in heaven? Then I ask again, why would God call someone to marriage?

Sorry if I sound a little redundant, I just want to understand this fully.

This rather sounds like the Parable of the Latecomers and also the argument over who would be the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven:

Matthew Chapter 20 [1] The kingdom of heaven is like to an householder, who went out early in the morning to hire labourers into his vineyard. [2] And having agreed with the labourers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard. [3] And going out about the third hour, he saw others standing in the market place idle. [4] And he said to them: Go you also into my vineyard, and I will give you what shall be just. [5] And they went their way. And again he went out about the sixth and the ninth hour, and did in like manner.
[6] But about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing, and he saith to them: Why stand you here all the day idle? [7] They say to him: Because no man hath hired us. He saith to them: Go you also into my vineyard. [8] And when evening was come, the lord of the vineyard saith to his steward: Call the labourers and pay them their hire, beginning from the last even to the first. [9] When therefore they were come, that came about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny. [10] But when the first also came, they thought that they should receive more: and they also received every man a penny.
[11] And receiving it they murmured against the master of the house, [12] Saying: These last have worked but one hour, and thou hast made them equal to us, that have borne the burden of the day and the heats. [13] But he answering said to one of them: Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst thou not agree with me for a penny? [14] Take what is thine, and go thy way: I will also give to this last even as to thee. [15] Or, is it not lawful for me to do what I will? is thy eye evil, because I am good?

**Matthew Chapater 9 **
[31] But they understood not the word, and they were afraid to ask him. [32] And they came to Capharnaum. And when they were in the house, he asked them: What did you treat of in the way? [33] But they held their peace, for in the way they had disputed among themselves, which of them should be the greatest. Mark 9:33] Latin] [34] And sitting down, he called the twelve, and saith to them: If any man desire to be first, he shall be the last of all, and the minister of all. [35] And taking a child, he set him in the midst of them. Whom when he had embraced, he saith to them: [36] Whosoever shall receive one such child as this in my name, receiveth me. And whosoever shall receive me, receiveth not me, but him that sent me.

We have saints who were married and we have religious and priests who were not saints - this tells me that it is possible to attain great holiness in marriage and not necessarily in religious life or the priesthood because of these vocations per se.
The reason probably we have so many saints who were religious is that their lives of virtue were evidenced within their relatively small communities (superiors probably very much aware of it) and often too the saint wrote and left records of their spiritual lives although not always as any sort of autobiography per se, very often letters. Superiors and spiritual directors too may have left some written record of intimate spiritual knowledge of the saint. Such things as these.
Saints are canonized for no other reason than their lives evidenced heroic virtue - no matter their particular vocation.
We probably have great saints in Heaven who were never canonized by The Church.
Why God desires some to be canonized and others not is in the Mystery of God and His Will.

We can be very sure that once in Heaven our joy will be absolutely complete - every one of us and “every tear will be wiped away”. And the worldly standards and concerns of who gets what etc. according to what etc. will not even remotely occur to us.

We can be very sure that sufficient Grace will be with us to become great saints (not to mean canonized saints of necessity) and no matter to where God calls us in life. It is a question of reponding to those Graces.
Whenever we respond to God's Will, we can be assured that the Graces necessary to fully respond will be with us. The same goes for any vocation. It is a Grace offered by The Lord and an invitation - and with that invitation comes a guarantee that all the Graces necessary to fulfill that vocation to our unique holiness will be present. It is a question of our response to Grace offered.
All honor and Glory are Yours, Almighty Father, forever and ever. He is the Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and End of all that is good. Good has its origin in God Alone and ideally finds its ending in Him Alone.

Psalm 113 " [9] Not to us, O Lord, not to us; but to Thy Name give glory."

Luke Chapter 12 " [47] And that servant who knew the will of his lord, and prepared not himself, and did not according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. [48] But he that knew not, and did things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. And unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required: and to whom they have committed much, of him they will demand the more."

[quote="TheInquisitor, post:10, topic:268410"]
So.. Forgive me if I don't understand. But holy orders do, in fact get more reward in heaven? Then I ask again, why would God call someone to marriage?

Sorry if I sound a little redundant, I just want to understand this fully.

[/quote]

the best is who God decides, i wouldn't attach gt to a state of life.
Ubenedictus

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.