Vocation Question

When exploring the idea of a vocation, specifically my vocation, I often get confused. I don’t get confused as to whether the vocation I feel called to is the one for me, because I know that I am called to be a priest. I am going to the seminary right out of high school. I know for a while that I fell away from the teachings of the church, not entirely, but mostly. Even though I have always been Catholic, when I started feeling the call to the priesthood, it was as though I underwent a conversion. I desired God 100%. The thing is, I don’t see my religion any other way. I want God, as me being a priest. Yes, if I didn’t ever feel the call to be a priest I would still want God, and year for him, but I feel like I would be missing something. Is it normal for me to feel that the priesthood will fill this void, this constant yearning for Christ? Thanks.

I guess these are some of the things you think about in the months leading up to filling out the seminary application!

God Bless

What a story :). I hope and pray your discernment goes well in seminary. May God bless you on your journey.

From a not perfect person in discernment to become a Jesuit Priest

adawgj

In this life we are never completely filled. Though knowing you are fulfilling your mission is rewarding. Prayers for you.

Well, yes! That, in a nutshell, is what a calling is all about - a feeling that there’s something missing in your life, that your called to do more and be more and that priesthood may well be the “something” that you’ve been looking for.

I am happy to hear that you’re still considering the priesthood.

One thing I find helpful in my own discernment is to pray for things to line up for what God wants for me; whether that be priest, religious, or married life. With that, I also find it very helpful to remain open to all ways of life.

You’re in my prayers.

This should be directed at a spiritual director. Have you followed the advice of many posters here and gotten one yet?

Most priests I have spoken with often say that one knows that a certain vocation is truly for them if they feel like that vocation will give them a sense of fulfillment. Many have also said that it is also a sign if thinking or pondering about that vocation in mind is pleasurable, then that may too be a telltale sign of a real vocation. Consistency, authenticity and being able to fit the job are also signs as well.

Well said. If you feel your vocation will grant you happiness, fulfillment and satisfaction then it is a real vocation. The Lord would not call someone to a a life that will ultimately leave them unhappy, we are called to serve, to be saints but also to live a happy and joyful life in His name.

"To live without faith, without a heritage to defend, without battling constantly for truth, is not to live but to ‘get along’; we must never just ‘get along’." Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.