Vocation RE-Discernment HELP PLEASE

Hey Ya’ll,

I really need some help, I’m in the the middle of finals and my vocation is really getting to me. I’m currently a religious brother-seminarian for a community and living in the Midwest. I’m sorry keeping it vague because of potential superior issues. I’m pretty much discerned that I’m not called to this community and that I should be going back to my home archdiocese.

The problem is I’m from the Archdiocese of Chicago and I would have to go to Mundelein, part of the reason I entered my religious community was because of the fear I had of that place. I’m traditional, I like cassocks, Gregorian chant, Latin in mass, and both forms of the Latin rite.

I well know the Archdioceses is a mess and most Catholics would hate a priest acting or looking like a priest but is there any hope of the Traditional coming back to Mundelein? I feel I’m called more now to diocesan life after my experience with my community which was not bad; just not for me. I have never seen a priest in the archdioceses in a cassock. I need advice or names or something to help me figure out if I should make the jump and not just being setup to be fed to the wolves.

Lastly, please don’t give me comment like if you were called, you can make it anywhere…I know that and I know a few guys that had priestly vocations crushed by a horrific seminary experience and a few that are broken priests now because of what they went through; not necessarily because of Mundelein just an overall example.

Please help me! Also, pray I pass this final tomorrow with my head spinning.

God Bless.
CD

Father Barron, the new rector at Mundelein, certainly seems orthodox to me.

[quote="Charlie_David, post:1, topic:308121"]
Hey Ya'll,

I really need some help, I'm in the the middle of finals and my vocation is really getting to me. I'm currently a religious brother-seminarian for a community and living in the Midwest. I'm sorry keeping it vague because of potential superior issues. I'm pretty much discerned that I'm not called to this community and that I should be going back to my home archdiocese.

[/quote]

Talk to your superior.

[quote="Charlie_David, post:1, topic:308121"]
Hey Ya'll,

I really need some help, I'm in the the middle of finals and my vocation is really getting to me. I'm currently a religious brother-seminarian for a community and living in the Midwest. I'm sorry keeping it vague because of potential superior issues. I'm pretty much discerned that I'm not called to this community and that I should be going back to my home archdiocese.

The problem is I'm from the Archdiocese of Chicago and I would have to go to Mundelein, part of the reason I entered my religious community was because of the fear I had of that place. I'm traditional, I like cassocks, Gregorian chant, Latin in mass, and both forms of the Latin rite.

I well know the Archdioceses is a mess and most Catholics would hate a priest acting or looking like a priest but is there any hope of the Traditional coming back to Mundelein? I feel I'm called more now to diocesan life after my experience with my community which was not bad; just not for me. I have never seen a priest in the archdioceses in a cassock. I need advice or names or something to help me figure out if I should make the jump and not just being setup to be fed to the wolves.

Lastly, please don't give me comment like if you were called, you can make it anywhere....I know that and I know a few guys that had priestly vocations crushed by a horrific seminary experience and a few that are broken priests now because of what they went through; not necessarily because of Mundelein just an overall example.

Please help me! Also, pray I pass this final tomorrow with my head spinning.

God Bless.
CD

[/quote]

first talk to your spiritual director he should really help you

second if you have doubts about going to a certain seminary talk to your vocations director and see what he would suggest if you are scared that things may not work well for you there he may talk with the Arch-Bishop (or Cardnail don't remember what Chicago has) and he should give you some advice as what to do in that situation.

Lastly trust in God and put everything at his feet, he knows what is best for you if you are put in a situation that may not be best for you trust that God will get you through it and if he is calling you to be a priest and the diocese agrees that is the case you will become a priest. Remember you should be obedient to your superior and if you rejoin the diocese you will have to be obedient to your bishop. Like the place you are going or not you must be obedient.

God bless.

Look into the Byzantine Rites of the Catholic Church. Our priests wear cassocks and chant everything in the Divine Liturgy (Mass) except for two things (the homily and the profession of faith).
You could try to become bi-ritual, meaning you can preform both the Roman (Latin) and the Eastern (Byzantine) rites. I'm not too sure on how you can do this though...
But definitely talk to your spiritual director. I heard a talk on religious vocations a few weeks ago. Don't be afraid to consider that the path you have taken was not your vocation. Try to (and it sounds like you have already done this) find what it is that you like and don't like in many of the types of religious lives.

Again, talk to your spiritual director.

Small world. I live down the street from USML. Seriously; a quarter mile away. Actually, I went on the Exploring the Priesthood Weekend there last January (as it turns out, my own vocation lies along a path that includes married life and fatherhood, so I did not enter the seminary).

One of the things that the vocations director for the Archdiocese said to me, a sentiment that was echoed by the seminarians all that weekend, that really resonated with me is that God does not motivate us through fear. In this case, you said, quite plainly, that you had a fear of Mundelein. I would ask yourself, and God, if that was a true fear. If so, it probably wasn’t God talking. Fear is our own human weakness coming through and, sadly, overpowering our ability to listen to God sometimes. Call Fr. Brian Welter (he’s the vocations director) and talk to him about this. He’s a very good listener and is one of the most compassionate men I’ve ever met.

Also, Fr. Barron, who became rector this past summer is, in fact, quite orthodox. He is also quite insightful, energetic, amd engaging. One of the goals that he has as rector is to light a fire among the seminarians to reach out to an increasingly secular world. This, in itself, is one of the key components to fixing the problems within the Church, and wthin the Archdiocese of Chicago. It seems almost like a cliche, but there is extraordinary power in being able to work for change from within.

Also, through the various ministries that I am involved in at my parish and at Marytown (the Conventual Franciscan friary next door to USML), I’ve gotten to know some of the seminarians quite well. These are deeply devoted men who have an abiding love for our Church and for God, and the community at Mundelein Seminary is instrumental in nurturing that love. If I had come to realize that I was being called to the priesthood, I cannot imagine aywhere else in the world that I would want to cut my theological and spiritual teeth.

And as for chant…pick up a copy of the Mundelein Psalter. That book is the reason I fell in love with the Divine Office.

If you’d like to send me a private message to talk more about this, I would be happy to oblige. If not, no worries; I’ll keep you in my prayers either way. And if you end up changing directions and are in my neck of the woods, you know you’ll already have a friend in M-Town.

Blessings,
~Michael

I don’t think it really matters if other priests are wearing a cassock in your diocese… If you feel called to it, just do it! We don’t have many priests in my diocese wearing them, but the younger ones just coming out of seminary are all beginning to do it and nobody looks down on them or thinks it’s wrong. Most people I have spoken with think it’s awesome! The newer diocesan priests seem to have a good and healthy appreciation for tradition while still being balanced and recognizing the value in the novus ordo, etc. At least in my diocese it seems to be leaning that way :slight_smile: I think the newer and more traditional diocesan priests are really making a big difference in catechizing the people, getting people excited about the faith, and getting back to a more orthodox view of the Church where necessary.

If you feel like your home diocese is too "unorthodox" you could also explore the various religious orders that you can join. I know that we have a local community of Carmelites who are very wonderfully orthodox and traditional ... but that is in Southern California. Not sure if location matters to you, but there are many different orders and seminaries and religious communities that you can look into if you are not happy where you are. Sending prayers your way!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.