Vocation Shortage

What are the main causes of the current vocations shortage in the United States.

I said:

• Not enough promotion.
  • Failure to properly teach the word of God to men who might be getting a call
  • The 60's.

AND A WRITE-IN VOTE:

People are joining religious orders, not the diocesan priesthood.

[quote="Melchior, post:2, topic:248022"]
I said:

• Not enough promotion.
  • Failure to properly teach the word of God to men who might be getting a call
  • The 60's.

AND A WRITE-IN VOTE:

People are joining religious orders, not the diocesan priesthood.

[/quote]

I also think that the main reason for a shortage is that the family unit is much much smaller than it used to be. parents also are not supporting their child's vocation as in the golden old days.

People are joining religious orders, not the diocesan priesthood.QUOTE

Why is that becomming a trend? We have a serious shortage here in my diocese!!!!

The marriage crisis.

I think there are many reason for the shortage, and people are being more scrupulous who they take. Just because they took many years ago, doesn't mean they were all suitable. Filling seats/church's makes you sometimes not see things, but now I feel, at least for the time being, they are more careful.

I see in my area, the Dominican's doing well, friars and nuns. We have a priory in CT with 3 friars that say mass and about 5 that live in residence and fill in while doing other things.
Orders like Fr Groechel's are getting men every year to be brothers and priests. I think it's the sense of community and prayer together and the charism of that community. One friar said to me he couldn't imagine not being with others.
Parish priests many years ago (I'm 50) had 2 or 3 in a rectory. They had a "senior" priest and at least one other. Now,they are very needed, but extremely busy and lonely in other ways. Finding time to do things for yourself is limited. Our priest gets call all the time,night and day, and he's the only one to go. He didn't have time the last 4 years to have a vegetable garden, because it takes too much time, which might seem like a small thing, but you need a hobby, something to give you a break. Years ago, you had more support in the pews and out.
That said, muted Catholic teaching a lack of respect for the sacraments helped dilute possible vocations. I don't think numbers matter, a large family used to be able to "give up" a son or daughter, like a sacrifice, but the vocation is there or it isn't. Men and women have more choices, more go to college and explore the world more, but vocation directors like that. I also think lack of prayer. I see it with my own children, I had an active prayer life, conversations with Jesus and Mary and Joseph, but now, so many things mute that out for the young, but you can't "hear" without prayer.

I could not vote as no option was present to say that there is no "vocation crisis". God calls whom he will. The Church has a history of fluctuating vocation numbers.

If I was forced to answer such a question my answer would be that God is not calling what you view as a sufficient number.

[quote="scoobydoo6v92, post:4, topic:248022"]

Why is that becomming a trend? We have a serious shortage here in my diocese!!!!

[/quote]

First, a calling to a religious order is a vocation. Second people are not called to fill in what you view as a shortage, they are called to where God needs them and where they will find salvation. A man who feels a calling for community life would die spiritually as a diocesen priest.

[quote="scoobydoo6v92, post:4, topic:248022"]

[/quote]

Brother David said it pretty well. For myself, I feel that in addition to my vocation as a married man I have a second vocation to a secular order. If I were to become a priest, I'd likely go from being a member of said secular order (whichever it may be) and join the Priesthood with them.

i think the fact that before vat 2 many men where forced into the priesthood, I think this could have lead to the vocations shortage.

The secular culture rising in this country could be one as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.