vocation struggle

First of all, I want to thank the kind people who prayed for my last request regarding work problems about a month or so ago. Things seem to be working out there.

These days I am really struggling with being single later in life. I have wonderful parents, a small group of close friends, and very pleasant coworkers. All of these people are blessings from God.

Still, there is this deeply felt pain in regard to not being married with children in my late thirties. I never imagined I’d be single this long. I do date. I have had a couple of long term boyfriends, but nothing permanent has ever come from any of this. It’s not that there aren’t men out there, but the task of finding a single man in my area who has the values and life skills needed to make a marriage work almost seems impossible. (I suppose the men would say the same thing about women these days- it’s just the times we live in). I live in a city that is not considered a singles area. Moving is not an option for me. I know a single gal who lives in a large metropolitan area whose experiences are similar to mine, so I’m not sure moving would solve anything anyway.

I am at the point of feeling lonely, desperate, and despairing. I have wanted to post how I was feeling before, but you never know what kind of responses you’ll get. I think my situation is difficult for married people to understand, especially those who married in their 20’s. I can honestly tell you, being single in your 20’s is different than being single throughout your 30’s, which I’m sure is different than being single in ones 40’s. I have often heard how hard marriage can be and I have no doubt this is true. But being single for years on end is a heavy, heavy cross.

Another aspect of being single so long is the erosion of ones self-esteem. I personally find my state in life to be a source of humiliation. I have heard other singles make reference to this as well. One can’t help thinking,“What’s wrong with me?” I do all the usual things one is supposed to do to attract the opposite sex. I also try to live a moral life. Still, I find myself alone. It’s not unusual for me to break down and cry regarding my situation. It hurts so badly.

I’m sorry this post is so long. This is something that I really need to talk about with others.

Please pray for me.

Praying for your intention.

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Holding you in my prayers.

Most High,
Glorious God,
enlighten the darkness of my heart
and give me true faith, certain hope, and perfect charity,
sense and knowledge, Lord
that I may carry out
Your holy and true command.
Amen.

I will pray that God may give you understanding and the ability to make the best decision for you.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, it is now and forever shall be, world without end, Amen.

I do understand what you are going through. Even though I married young, I divorced in my late 40’s and the lonliness of being single was oppressive at times and depressing.
I will pray that you find patience and comfort in Our Lord while you wait for the right partner to find you or for you to find him.
You must be a special person needing a special someone for it to have taken so long.
Praying for you.
Your sister in Christ,
dtiggs
:yup::gopray2::hug1:

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
the Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

I appreciate you sharing your own experience me. It helps to know that others can identify with what I’m going though. I’m so sorry to hear that you’ve been though a divorce. I have heard from friends and relatives what an extremely difficult situation that can be.

Thank you for your kind words at the end of your message. If I’m a special person, then there must be whole lot of special adults out there. I’ve read that 42% of adults in this country are now single, and that most people today will spend half of their adult lives alone, if they marry at all. (I’ve done a lot of research into why I and so many people I know these days are single.) Obviously we live in a society that’s in the process of rejecting marriage. Hopefully more people will begin praying for marriage, the family, and all singles (whether divorced, widowed, or never married). Thank you for your kind prayers.

Dear Lord, right now you want opera all to Yourself. This is obvious. You want her to have in You the relationship of all relationships, like you have with me. May opera seek perhaps a consecrated vocation to a secular order and deepen her consecration to you so she can work prayerfully in service of You and the Church while fellowshipping with other good Christian souls, like herself. If you want her married, she will become married - she’s open to the vocation of marriage. Maybe she’ll even meet someone in a secular order. But in the meantime, may she find in You the answer to all her dreams and let this love for You live on stronger each and every day…forever. For you are her spouse given to her at her baptism and you are her most dearest and truest friend. May she know she can be personal and open with You at adoration and receive you intimately each day (if possible) in the Holy Eucharist and become completely enebriated by Your tender Love for her. If she just lets her relationship with you develop, she can find herself in the nuptial union of two lovers aflame with love for one another: God and his beloved opera in one eternal embrace of peace.

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.
:signofcross:

:grouphug: With love.
Jesus please help this good young woman to find a man of Your choosing soon. Please have deep compassion on her loneliness and good will.

Dear Lord, right now you want opera all to Yourself. This is obvious. You want her to have in You the relationship of all relationships, like you have with me. May opera seek perhaps a consecrated vocation to a secular order and deepen her consecration to you so she can work prayerfully in service of You and the Church while fellowshipping with other good Christian souls, like herself. If you want her married, she will become married - she’s open to the vocation of marriage. Maybe she’ll even meet someone in a secular order. But in the meantime, may she find in You the answer to all her dreams and let this love for You live on stronger each and every day…forever. For you are her spouse given to her at her baptism and you are her most dearest and truest friend. May she know she can be personal and open with You at adoration and receive you intimately each day (if possible) in the Holy Eucharist and become completely enebriated by Your tender Love for her. If she just lets her relationship with you develop, she can find herself in the nuptial union of two lovers aflame with love for one another: God and his beloved opera in one eternal embrace of peace.

Dear Jesus please help Opera to find a good and loving man to be her husband and life companion.

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done on earth, as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Blessed Mother, and her guardian Angel and patron saints please pray for her and this man.

Jesus please help this good young woman to find a man of Your choosing soon. Please have deep compassion on her loneliness and good will.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us,
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. Amen

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit
as it was in the begining, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death. Amen

Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven

As it was in the begining, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.

as it was in the begining, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

There’s an ongoing Rosary thread for singles desiring partners current in Prayer Intentions. I pray on it most days.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.