Vocation Thought of the Day: Mission

I think this vocation forum needs some new threads :] I was perusing the Imagine Sisters Facebook page and came across this lovely video on the different types of "vocation":

youtube.com/watch?v=Gq4CIeALeSo&feature=colike

"What is the primary relationship by which I'll become that man/woman God wants me to be?"

It left me pondering my mission here on earth, as per definition 3 of vocation in the video. I feel a strong calling towards cloistered contemplative life, but for me, it seems like there has to be more than just that. There has to be a mission for myself, for you, and for every person in the world. What would I do when my Vocation is accomplished? How can I learn to be holy in that vocation and through which daily path would that be?

When I first started discerning 4 years ago, I knew immediately that I was not called to be a teacher. I cannot explain to you how this came about, but deep down in my soul, I just knew that God was not calling me to teach, to preach the Gospel directly to others. It was an understanding that I thank God for allowing me to understand so quickly, but my mission in life took a lot longer to figure out.

To be short, I feel like I have been called to be a spiritual solider for Christ, to put on the armor of God and endlessly pray for souls, especially for souls who have no one to pray for them, to fight along side them, for the lost and forgotten, for the lonely and persecuted, for the sick and poor. There is just not enough prayers for others all over the world and I feel called to help others spiritually.

I hope to be called to Carmel one day and there train to be a solider in heaven. I imagine it to be some form of spiritual boot camp to which I can learn to do good whether in heaven or on earth and spiritually fight for souls. Whether this is my mission or not, currently this is what I believe it is. If God changes it, then so be it and I shall follow. If it is my mission, it would be an honor to do so and I pray for the graces to follow through.

Whether marriage, priesthood, religious life, or consecrated single life, there is a mission for everyone. Do you have an idea of what your current mission is? What would you like your mission to be? If God calls you to a different mission, would you be open to it?

Any comments/answers/questions are welcome :D

[quote="roundcheese, post:1, topic:293143"]
I think this vocation forum needs some new threads :] I was perusing the Imagine Sisters Facebook page and came across this lovely video on the different types of "vocation":

youtube.com/watch?v=Gq4CIeALeSo&feature=colike

"What is the primary relationship by which I'll become that man/woman God wants me to be?"

It left me pondering my mission here on earth, as per definition 3 of vocation in the video. I feel a strong calling towards cloistered contemplative life, but for me, it seems like there has to be more than just that. There has to be a mission for myself, for you, and for every person in the world. What would I do when my Vocation is accomplished? How can I learn to be holy in that vocation and through which daily path would that be?

When I first started discerning 4 years ago, I knew immediately that I was not called to be a teacher. I cannot explain to you how this came about, but deep down in my soul, I just knew that God was not calling me to teach, to preach the Gospel directly to others. It was an understanding that I thank God for allowing me to understand so quickly, but my mission in life took a lot longer to figure out.

To be short, I feel like I have been called to be a spiritual solider for Christ, to put on the armor of God and endlessly pray for souls, especially for souls who have no one to pray for them, to fight along side them, for the lost and forgotten, for the lonely and persecuted, for the sick and poor. There is just not enough prayers for others all over the world and I feel called to help others spiritually.

I hope to be called to Carmel one day and there train to be a solider in heaven. I imagine it to be some form of spiritual boot camp to which I can learn to do good whether in heaven or on earth and spiritually fight for souls. Whether this is my mission or not, currently this is what I believe it is. If God changes it, then so be it and I shall follow. If it is my mission, it would be an honor to do so and I pray for the graces to follow through.

Whether marriage, priesthood, religious life, or consecrated single life, there is a mission for everyone. Do you have an idea of what your current mission is? What would you like your mission to be? If God calls you to a different mission, would you be open to it?

Any comments/answers/questions are welcome :D

[/quote]

I was in medical school in University when I entered Seminary. Then, I decided to enter Seminary. then I was kicked out thanks to God, for my superiors thought that that was not my way. Then I went teaching what I never thought I would do. Then I retired and I am a Project Manager, a married man for 25 years with 2 adult kids who are the light of my eyes.

What I "felt" never turned out to be what God wanted.

What does God want me to do? I do not care. I just worry for today. Tomorrow is in God's hands. I gave up making plans, because God's plans are stronger than mine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.