Vocation to Marriage

Through many years of prayer, I’ve found God is calling me to marriage, I have left this with Him my whole life. I’ve never dated and figured that was either because He wanted me to be a nun or He had a really special man picked out for me and He would let me know. He has. I’m getting some skepticism from a couple of people I know, I have mentioned this to very, very few, but these two are always talking about prayer and God’s guidence so I thought they would understand. It’s like some think I can ask for guidence for what job to take, I can ask God to help me know if I am to be a nun or sister, I can ask for healing…but ask Him to let me know if He wants me to marry and who that man is? That’s not possible!

I do have a spiritual director who thinks I’ve approached all of this properly with prayer and reason.

Please just pray for me, but also for the man that he would hear God’s calling in his life and have the courage to accept.

praying..

You are right on target...in my humble opinion...press on and don't stop until God gives you an answer that is clear and discernible by you.

A couple of resources...for your consideration...my daughter found these very helpful.

How to Listen When God Is Speaking: A Guide for Modern-Day Catholics [Paperback]
Mitch Pacwa

amazon.com/How-Listen-When-God-Speaking/dp/1593251831

Book Description
Publication Date: March 1, 2011
How do we listen to God speak to our hearts, minds, and wills--especially above the noise and stress of the modern world? What is the process of discerning God's will? Best-selling author and popular EWTN host Fr. Mitch Pacwa, SJ, tackles these and other questions in this comprehensive book on discernment. He says that first we need to believe in God and his moral laws and make a commitment to please him in all that we do. Then we need to pray so that we can experience the peace that can come only from God.
Fr. Pacwa draws from St. Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises, using plenty of everyday examples as well as stories from Scripture to help clarify his points. He encourages readers to develop a rich prayer life and says we can learn to listen to God's powerful voice and hear him speaking lovingly to us even when we are suffering in some way.

Confronts modern-day assumptions that can prevent us from being open to God's will for our lives.

Emphasizes the many ways we can develop our prayer life to nourish an authentic relationship with the Lord.

[quote]The Catholic Girl's Survival Guide for the Single Years: The Nuts and Bolts of Staying Sane and Happy While Waiting for Mr. Right

[Paperback]
Emily Stimpson (Author)

amazon.com/Catholic-Girls-Survival-Guide-Single/dp/193715534X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334948659&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Book Description
Publication Date: January 23, 2012
Finding a spouse has never been easy. But, it’s also never been quite so hard, especially for good Catholic girls intent on having strong Catholic marriages to nice Catholic boys.

So what are all those good Catholic girls to do? How do they navigate the increasingly long (and usually trying) years between college and “I do” without losing their sanity or their soul?

Consult The Catholic Girl’s Survival Guide for the Single Years: The Nuts and Bolts of Staying Sane and Happy While Waiting for Mr. Right.

Steeped in the Church’s teachings on the feminine genius, marriage, and theology of the body, The Catholic Girl’s Survival Guide dishes with both wit and wisdom on some of the most pressing questions single women face: vocation, dating, sex, finances, work, depression, and more.
[/quote]

Catholic Answers Live

Single and Happy
ca120116a.mp3
Listen
Monday, Jan 16, 2012 - 6pm ET
Mary Beth Bonacci

catholic.com/radio/shows/single-and-happy-6712

First book: (Fr. Pacwa)...spiritual insight/guidance;

Second book: (Emily Stimson)...practical "nuts & bolts" of stuff you already know/do...but reinforces and gives confidence;

Third Q&A Radio: (Mary Beth Bonacci)...how to be at peace on the journey.

All for your consideration...in fellowship.
Pax Christi

Thank you so much! I looked at the preview available on amazon and will be getting them :slight_smile: And thank you for the encouragement and prayers!

I just got the chance to listen to the radio link, and God bless you for sharing, very helpful.

It was very, very disconcerting/disheartening to have two people that I’ve prayed with about many things act like I’m off by asking for God’s guidence in this—like I said in my original post.

Thank you again.

Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.