Vocation to priesthood question

Hi everybody. I've been discerning on and off for years for a vocation to the priesthood. I've been avoiding it and pushing it away but somehow, I find myself being attracted back to it and I begin to discern again. I can't for the life of me shake the idea! My worry is that if I get married and have kids I'll be unhappy because I'm not doing God's will. I'm frightened to talk to my priest because I don't want my family to know I'm discerning; they won't be thrilled. Any advice for me? I feel I just need to grow up and do what is right for me, discern properly, and see what happens. That's easier said than done. This fear of other people's opinion has paralyzed me.

Thanks everyone and long live Pope Francis!

My advice is try to talk with your priest in a time where your family is not around I assume that you are not of age and/or still live at home. Bring this to your priest in confession.

The fact that there is this strong will to discern is a great sign you should. You don't have to tell your family every little detail about your life and your discernment. This would cause problems. But on the other hand actively hiding it is not good either.

My advice would be to talk with your priest after mass and see if you could have an appointment with him sometime later. Discuss with him your concerns about discernment aswell as any progress you have made.

Ill pray for your discernment.

Peace,
andy

--edit--
For the record I am in the same boat. My family is not Catholic enough to understand discernment and vocations and it has caused issues in my discernment. As my best friend used to say, life's tough no one gets out alive. But that doesn't mean we cant try and succeed.

Match Details:
Six Nations Rugby 2013
Date: Saturday, 16th March, 2013
Time: 17:00 local, 17:00 (GMT)
Venue: Millennium Stadium
Live/Repeat: Live

tvoninternet.co.uk/

tvoninternet.co.uk/

tvoninternet.co.uk/

tvoninternet.co.uk/

tvoninternet.co.uk/
tvoninternet.co.uk/

I suggest you speak with your priest. Ask him whether you think it would be necessary to tell your parents. A good way I thought of to tell my parents was to make an appointment with the vocations director and then, a few days before the meeting, tell your parents you are going to talk with someone from the diocese about the priesthood. This makes it clear that you aren’t being “recruited” while also showing that this is something you are serious about. So send an email to your diocese’s vocation director as well. I also suggest that if you really feel that strong desire to be a priest you try altar serving. It is a great way to get close to the liturgical life of the church. Also, of course, confess frequently.

My prayers go with you, and may God bless you in this endeavour.

10 Quoniam pater meus et mater mea dereliquerunt me ;
Dominus autem assumpsit me.

10 My father and mother may abandon me,
but the Lord will take care of me. Ps 27(26): 10

Prayer is talk with God and because of God we want to become priests. Pray for your parents, pray for yourself and please pray for us, your brothers. I know it's really hard if parents don't support you on this way but they should undestand that you are called by God Himself. My parents aren't thrilled but they need to accept God's will for me. It's nice if you have priest or seminarian to talk with about your call, God and Church, I have a lot of good friends who are already seminarians or even priests. So again, my only advice: pray.

In prayer with you, in Christ, our Lord, fraternal
frater Attempto

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.