Vocation to the single life

simple question is this actually a vocation, I have heard it a couple of times, this is a vocation where you are single but you also aren’t in the category of a holy orders vocation. So you commit to be single but you are not a priest or religious. A couple days ago I was listening to the radio the Catholic Channel IDK how good of a channel it is but the guy said this vocation was not really a vocation it was just people being lazy. If you are not called to single life in religious life or priesthood then you are called to married life.

Anyone want to explain this, is there such thing as a vocation to the single life, or are the only two major vocations married life of a life of holy orders, priest or religious?

[quote="catholictiger, post:1, topic:247768"]
simple question is this actually a vocation, I have heard it a couple of times, this is a vocation where you are single but you also aren't in the category of a holy orders vocation. So you commit to be single but you are not a priest or religious. A couple days ago I was listening to the radio the Catholic Channel IDK how good of a channel it is but the guy said this vocation was not really a vocation it was just people being lazy. If you are not called to single life in religious life or priesthood then you are called to married life.

Anyone want to explain this, is there such thing as a vocation to the single life, or are the only two major vocations married life of a life of holy orders, priest or religious?

[/quote]

The Church says there is a vocation to the single life, so I'd go with the Church. This business of being just lazy is simply someone's personal opinion, and not fact. There are those who pray to meet the right partner, but are never convinced, and so never marry. There are many who are caregivers for enough years to eliminate the chance for marriage and family. Who can say why many never marry? It may be part of God's plan for their lives.

[quote="catholictiger, post:1, topic:247768"]
simple question is this actually a vocation, I have heard it a couple of times, this is a vocation where you are single but you also aren't in the category of a holy orders vocation. So you commit to be single but you are not a priest or religious. A couple days ago I was listening to the radio the Catholic Channel IDK how good of a channel it is but the guy said this vocation was not really a vocation it was just people being lazy. If you are not called to single life in religious life or priesthood then you are called to married life.

[/quote]

I agree with the previous poster. In fact, there are some organizations in the Church that have vocations that fall into this category. Opus Dei, for example, has a numerary position that is a vocation to single life, not religious or consecrated from my understanding.

God Bless.

[quote="Waiting, post:2, topic:247768"]
The Church says there is a vocation to the single life, so I'd go with the Church. This business of being just lazy is simply someone's personal opinion, and not fact. There are those who pray to meet the right partner, but are never convinced, and so never marry. There are many who are caregivers for enough years to eliminate the chance for marriage and family. Who can say why many never marry? It may be part of God's plan for their lives.

[/quote]

I had a feeling this guy was off, and I don't remember exactly what he siad, I was in the car so I didn't have a chance to write it down or anything.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.