Vocation troubles

As of recently, I was accepted and plan on attending the Old College program at the University of Notre Dame and I feel called to the religious priesthood with the Congregation of Holy Cross.

But sometimes, I still have my doubts about whether this is the right place for me. I'll be entering their Old College program later this year but I'm still curious as to exploring other orders (like the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest). But I don't really want to seem so wishy washy and I'd feel guilty if I chose to abandon the C.S.C.s since they've been so welcoming...

Is it right for me to be still open to wherever God is calling me? Or am I just being too curious and He might just be directing me to Holy Cross? I feel so confused. I've been discerning since freshman year of high school and I'll be graduating in May. So maybe it's just youthful idealism that's causing me to want to explore everywhere...

Any thoughts?

Nothing is certain until you make final vows within an order. If you are feeling an interior battle, it could be for a good reason and it is not a bad idea to explore why you are feeling this way. Just because the order is welcoming you does not make it an “end all, be all” of all discussions. You are free to continue to discern. That’s what you continue to do even if you enter their order–you discern if you are truly called there.

Do you have a spiritual director with whom you could discuss this with? If not, I would definitely recommend that you talk to either the vocation director or the Superior of the CSCs. They have been trained how to help those who are discerning, so they might be able to give you some guidance. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice :)

Yes, I speak regularly with Fr. Jim, the Director of Vocations, with the Congregation. He helped me decide to pursue a vocation with Holy Cross when I was faced with the other option of the Divine Word Missionaries.

Maybe this is just a passing feeling... Even if it is, may I ask that you pray for me? I need all the help I can get :thumbsup:

Of course. I always pray for vocations to the Church. :slight_smile:

Don’t feel like you are alone in this. We all go through trials of doubt and fear (I know I have and probably will go through many more). You are facing a big change of life and it’s normal to feel scared and have doubts creep in, but the most important thing is that you continue to seek Christ no matter what path you take.

I suspect that it is quite common for idealistic young men to become interested in the Institute of Christ the King. I don’t know where you live, but it might help you sort it out if you were able to visit one of their houses, perhaps this summer. And I would suggest that you consider discussing your interests with your mentors at CSC.

ICK has houses in IL, MO, WI, NJ and CA, both N & S.

institute-christ-king.org/institute/

I filled out one of their request forms on their website yesterday so hopefully a Vocation Director from ICK can assist me further. I live in California and I believe ICK runs a parish in Oakland named St. Margaret Mary but that’s pretty much all I know of their presence here. Any information would be more than welcome.

I reiterate what Daughter has said. I'm discerning the religious life with a certain order, and thinking about actually being accepted and entering scares me. Doubts and fears are part of our humanity, we just need to work on not letting them take over our life. I'm praying for the grace to make big steps I'll need to take in the future, and I'll keep you in my prayers, too.

Thank you! I’ll make sure to do the same for you at Mass in an hour :thumbsup: . I’m reminded of a quote I saw on tumblr yesterday: “Feed your faith so that your fears may starve to death.”

[quote="jdc209, post:6, topic:236392"]
I filled out one of their request forms on their website yesterday so hopefully a Vocation Director from ICK can assist me further. I live in California and I believe ICK runs a parish in Oakland named St. Margaret Mary but that's pretty much all I know of their presence here. Any information would be more than welcome.

[/quote]

They run a parish in Santa Clara also.

institute-christ-king.org/santaclara/

I would be a little proactive on this. I would go see them if they invite you. The CSC's may not know them very well, and therefore may not be able to advise you .

[quote="bigquests, post:9, topic:236392"]
They run a parish in Santa Clara also.

institute-christ-king.org/santaclara/

I would be a little proactive on this. I would go see them if they invite you. The CSC's may not know them very well, and therefore may not be able to advise you .

[/quote]

Hopefully they respond during the week so that I can get some more advice on discernment. So far, I'm just trying to get as much information about ICK as I can (e.g. YouTube videos, their website, blogs, etc.).

See your options,
think all positive and negative sides.
Do not be scared, f you choose wrong option,
you did not kill someone.
Do not be so stringent.

[quote="jdc209, post:10, topic:236392"]
Hopefully they respond during the week so that I can get some more advice on discernment. So far, I'm just trying to get as much information about ICK as I can (e.g. YouTube videos, their website, blogs, etc.).

[/quote]

How is your French?

Je pense que mon francais n’est pas parfait mais c’est acceptable. J’étudiais le francais depuis quatre ans et je l’aime beaucoup! C’est une langue assez belle. Justement, je me promets que je voyagerai en France un jour. Si Dieu me permet, je sais que je peux y aller. Et oui, je sais que l’Institut du Christ Roi veut que tous ses prêtres à être capable de parler francais.

That’s one of the reasons I want to pursue a vocation with ICK; I like how they emphasize the learning of languages to help facilitate their missionary spirit.

So here’s a bit of a status update: Along with some friends, I’ll be attending my first Latin Mass over at St. Margaret Mary’s. I’ve also scheduled a short meeting with Canon Jean Marie Moreau regarding a vocation with ICK. Hopefully all goes well!

I asked because the ICK seminary is taught in French.

That would be a huge concern with me as I have problems with other languages due to a congenital hearing impairment. I now have hearing aids and hope that this will help me in learning Spanish.

I have chosen Spanish as my Order encourages that we learn one of the other official languages of our Order (English, Spanish, Italian). I chose Spanish as first, we serve in some bi-lingual parishes here in the United States and second, to be able to read St John of the Cross and St Teresa of Avila in their original languages.

[quote="ByzCath, post:14, topic:236392"]
I asked because the ICK seminary is taught in French.

That would be a huge concern with me as I have problems with other languages due to a congenital hearing impairment. I now have hearing aids and hope that this will help me in learning Spanish.

I have chosen Spanish as my Order encourages that we learn one of the other official languages of our Order (English, Spanish, Italian). I chose Spanish as first, we serve in some bi-lingual parishes here in the United States and second, to be able to read St John of the Cross and St Teresa of Avila in their original languages.

[/quote]

I love learning languages! I'm sure you'll master Spanish in no time. Since I have all of my credits up to date for high school, I decided on taking Spanish my senior year so that I wouldn't waste my time as a TA or something; I managed to skip to third year honors Spanish. I used my knowledge of French, some studying of basic tenses and words, and my Filipino heritage to pull it off.

The main thing I'd suggest is you have to want learn a language to be good at it. Love what you do and everything will be alright in the end. In my opinion though, Spanish is more difficult than French!

UPDATE:

I went to my first Latin Mass yesterday! It was so interesting; I can't help but crave more of the extraordinary form.

At the parish dinner afterwards, I spoke with some parishioners and Fr. Moreau, who is the kind of priest I'd like to be. He was so strong in his convictions and had a vibrant missionary zeal. He convinced me to e-mail Canon Talarico for further assistance with my vocation. He also joked that since I knew French, I was made for the Institute. He asked me if I could chant. I replied yes, I can chant Tantum Ergo. Then Fr. Moreau asked me to demonstrate! I was a bit rusty but I guess all those times practicing chanting in the shower paid off haha :D

My prayers are with all of you who are interested, exploring, or discerning about a religious vocation. I think a vocation to serve God is the best thing a person can do----if they are suited to it and called to it. God is the best spouse one could ever have! I urge much exploration, gathering facts, impressions, and then praying over everything. Listen to your heart. Blessings and Congrats to you!!:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.