Vocation

Hello,

I'm going to throw a wild one out here:

Although I am not Catholic, I have a deep fascination with the Catholic Church and have long been interested in monasticism. At different times I have also thought I might be called to the priesthood.

My question is:

How does one know if he is called to religious life? For several years I thought that God had perhaps called me to marriage, but I haven't been active in the pursuit of a mate, and seem to be growing more content with the idea of celibacy.

I know that I am not even Catholic yet, but perhaps there is someone out there who understands what I am saying (my Protestant brothers seem less likely to).

Dan

Dan,

If you feel the call, the only way that you will know if it is authentic is by prayer and fasting, then going for it.

You must take the first step first, though. Join the Church. :)

Dear brother,

the Lord calls in different ways, follow to His call! He know what is the best for you! :gopray2: Go and pray!:gopray2:
Good luck. :)

In Christ,
Attempto

[quote="dsully, post:1, topic:293575"]
Hello,

Although I am not Catholic, I have a deep fascination with the Catholic Church and have long been interested in monasticism. At different times I have also thought I might be called to the priesthood.

My question is:

How does one know if he is called to religious life? For several years I thought that God had perhaps called me to marriage, but I haven't been active in the pursuit of a mate, and seem to be growing more content with the idea of celibacy.

I know that I am not even Catholic yet, but perhaps there is someone out there who understands what I am saying (my Protestant brothers seem less likely to).

Dan

[/quote]

I find almost every day that my own understanding of the Church and its teachings is so limited. Things I thought I once understood I see in new light. my greatest advice is this: study the Catholic faith. Don't be content just to learn what your priest or rcia teaches you. Get books and READ. I can offer you a few suggestions if you need them. Scott Hahn is a great place to start, especially if you are converting.

It is not time yet for you to be thinking about celibacy (or marriage for that matter) until you really know what celibacy and marriage are.

Hello,

My question is:

Dan

[/quote]

Hi, Dan....St. Paul, following his conversion on the road to Damascus, spent several years contemplating what his true calling was. Yet, in Acts 13, he is ordained and sent prior to his first missionary journey.

Similarly, the Catholic calling to the religious life and priesthood takes a lot of discernment, praying, fasting.

If this is truly your calling, I would suggest calling the vocations director of the diocese in your area...through the local catholic parish who could put you in contact with him.

The vocations director can help you in your discernment process...he could suggest retreats, suggest a spiritual director, and has other resources he knows about to help you.

Welcome Home!!!

With me, I just knew that He was calling me to be a religious. He will show you the signs. If He wants you to be a priest or a monk, He will show you.

[quote="White_Peony, post:6, topic:293575"]
Welcome Home!!!

With me, I just knew that** He was calling me to be a religious**. He will show you the signs. If He wants you to be a priest or a monk, He will show you.

[/quote]

Which order? (You obviously do not have to answer).

Like others here have said:

First you join the Church (WELCOME!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:) and then you just try if you still feel like it could be something for you. If you have an attraction to this life and it turns out you like it and your order/seminary/whatever wants you to stay, then good for all of us!

[quote="Luigi_Daniele, post:7, topic:293575"]
Which order? (You obviously do not have to answer).

[/quote]

DOMINICAN!!! But I'm kind of thinking about the Missionaries of Charity.

Definitely pursue becoming Catholic!!:D :thumbsup: !!!
My Confirmation was one of the best things that happened to me.
If you're really serious about this talk to your local Priest about becoming Catholic.
Also contact a vocations Director. Pray heaps. Especially the Rosary and Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Fast. Talk to God.

I read here once there a 3 signs of a Religious Vocation :

First- the desire to do it
Second- the ability to live the life
Third- entrance and acceptance into Religious Life.

Try your best to seek out Gods will for you. St Ignatius specialized in the discernment of Gods will
Check out this link - ignatianspirituality.com/making-good-decisions/an-approach-to-good-choices/how-ignatian-spirituality-gives-us-a-way-to-discern-gods-will/

Praying for you. God bless you +++ :gopray:

Thanks, Christine. I was able to talk to a local priest last week. He invited me to start RCIA in September. Some days I feel ready to begin the process, other days I do not. The vocation issue is a secondary one, I know, but it is definitely playing into my decision somewhat. My first interest in Catholicism occurred eight or nine years ago. Even then I thought God might be calling me to be a priest, but I was nowhere near being able to accept that call. Four or five years ago I got involved in an evangelical church and have since stepped away. I have read up on Catholicism quite a bit over the past six months or so. The only thing that would keep me from joining at this point, I think, would be social pressure (all my friends and family are Protestant) and a sense of obligation to my former commitments. Thanks for the prayers and encouragement (I am still working on the devotion to St. Therese). You seem really excited about your faith. I will pray that God helps you towards your vocation as well.

Dan

Catholicism has changed my life in many ways. I thrive off receiving the Body of Christ in Communion. It gives you so much strength and helps you to be close to God.
Something that might inspire you - I know a Latin Mass Priest who was brought up Protestant and his family are all Protestant, yet he continues persisting in his Priestly duties. He's very traditional. And God has given him the strength to do this because he found the truth and the true way to God.

Take it slowly. Keep reading up on Catholicism, maybe even start reading the Catechism.
But you'll be starting RCIA soon enough which is fantastic!!!:thumbsup:

Keep praying. I highly recommend the Rosary. Mary is a great defender and teacher of the Catholic Faith. Stay close to her !!!:D

God bless you +++

Hello,

My question is:

Dan

[/quote]

Hi Dan,

I shall pray for you on your journey. Allow me to suggest a few resources that may be of help in your discernment process... Even if you are not ready to make a commitment to RCIA yet these books may be of some help to you on your journey...

I do not know your church background but I found these books to each have some insights I had not thought of before as well as some detailed information for further reading on specific subjects which sometimes can be a bit of a hangup for converts.

Rome Sweet Home by Scott & Kimberly Hahn

The Lambs Supper (The Mass as Heaven on Earth) by Scott Hahn

(This is great to understand the importance of the Mass and also provides a nice insight into the book of Revelation)

Born Fundamentalist Born Again Catholic, by David Currie
( again this had good insights on various fundamental Catholic teachings, what the non-Catholic view was from many and why he came to the conclusion that Catholic teaching was right for him... he includes a nice section on further reading)

finally a book and a website that can offer invaluable help:

The Coming Home Network by Marcus Grodi ( A wonderful ministry and website)

and the Book Journeys Home ed by Marcus Grodi

This book lists conversion stories of several Ministers from Non Catholic Backgrounds

At the end is a treasure trove of further reading on specific subjects such as scripture, the Mass, The Papacy The Eucharist etc.

Hopefully this will be of some help to you or to others

Blessings, Sr Debbie OSC*

Thank you for the suggestions, Sister (Mother?).

Dan

[quote="dsully, post:14, topic:293575"]
Thank you for the suggestions, Sister (Mother?).

Dan

[/quote]

Your welcome Dan!!

[In my order it would be sister] I shall be praying for you on your journey!

Blessings,

Sr Debbie, OSC :nun2:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.