Vocation?

I have been pondering a vocation to the priesthood for two years now. Recently, a priest who I am quite fond of and quite knowledgeable asked if I was still thinking about the priesthood. I said yes...either diocesan or fssp. He seemed to think that my talents for speaking and my intellect would be not fully used in the FSSP. He seems to think i'm better suited for diocesan parish ministry. I thought he had some good points, he said the fssp is too new and that you should be weary of any association that is fixed on the EF almost exclusively in their pastoral ministry. He said I could go further there. I pondered what he said, and I now wary over whether the FSSP will remain stable forever, because it is so new

what should i do?

I'd say you should defiantly discern more seriously. No one can predict what will happen with any order, FSSP included, so I will not make any predictions there. If it is the devotion to the Extraordinary Form that attracts you to FSSP, remember that this is not unique to them, but since Summorum Pontificum, any priest who knows how to can celebrate it. My only advice is not to go flaunting a devotion to the EF around. It irritates people (don't ask me why, I've yet to figure that out).

More discernment is a good thing. Get a spiritual advisor, if you have not done so already. Contact your diocese's vocations office, and see if they have a discernment group you can join. If possible, go on retreat, either at a seminary, monastery, or other place. And most importantly, spend lots of time in prayer. I would also recommend listening to talks on the priesthood - my particular favourites are Fr. Larry Richards and Fr. John Corapi.

Lastly, consider marriage. I was going to re-enter the seminary, but my spiritual advisor suggested I strongly consider the marriage route. Shortly before I applied to seminary, I met an amazing woman, who, on May 25, 2013, will become my wife. I can honestly say I am happier, and holier, now, than I ever was in seminary, or even considering it.

[quote="Kyrie1, post:1, topic:325429"]
I have been pondering a vocation to the priesthood for two years now. Recently, a priest who I am quite fond of and quite knowledgeable asked if I was still thinking about the priesthood. I said yes...either diocesan or fssp. He seemed to think that my talents for speaking and my intellect would be not fully used in the FSSP. He seems to think i'm better suited for diocesan parish ministry. I thought he had some good points, he said the fssp is too new and that you should be weary of any association that is fixed on the EF almost exclusively in their pastoral ministry. He said I could go further there. I pondered what he said, and I now wary over whether the FSSP will remain stable forever, because it is so new

what should i do?

[/quote]

Pray and discern brother! and be assured you have mine (prayers)!!! May the SACRED HEART Bless your desire and make You a Priest and Saint for our Church!!

[quote="Kyrie1, post:1, topic:325429"]
I pondered what he said, and I now wary over whether the FSSP will remain stable forever, because it is so new

what should i do?

[/quote]

I wouldn't worry that the FSSP is too "new". It is actually 25 years old, so its been around a while and is still going strong. The communities it serves tend to be fairly stable and produce good numbers of vocations, so I think its future is secure. Besides, nothing in this world is forever. If you are attached to the EF, I think you should definitely consider the FSSP.

Ave Maria!

[quote="Landelinus, post:5, topic:325429"]
I wouldn't worry that the FSSP is too "new". It is actually 25 years old, so its been around a while and is still going strong. The communities it serves tend to be fairly stable and produce good numbers of vocations, so I think its future is secure. Besides, nothing in this world is forever. If you are attached to the EF, I think you should definitely consider the FSSP.

[/quote]

The FSSP is also an institute of pontifical right - the highest approval and, you might say, has the highest protection and stability that is offered - the pope. At the lower levels of approval, e.g., of "diocesan right", the bishop can at any time, remove them from his diocese or dismantle them altogether - caput. With pontifical status, the bishop does not have the authority to do this anymore, only the Holy See can dismantle the institute or remove them.

At this time I wouldn't worry about the stability of the FSSP or the EF at all. If anything, both are growing rapidly. I don't think it's the form of the Mass that should cause worry, but those who take traditionalism to the point of going against the Pope and the Magisterium. Remember the FSSP was set up by the pope to counter the separation of the SSPX.

Keep praying, go to daily Mass, read the lives of the saints, and consecrate yourself to Our Lady, placing your vocation in Her loving hands, She who formed our great High Priest, is the Queen of heaven, and can obtain any and all graces for you.

Happy feast of Our Lady, Mediatrix of All Graces. Ave Maria!

In the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary,

Friar John Paul

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.