Vocations? vocations?

hello! i was just wondering how should i (being in high school) discern my vocation to the consecrated life. ive been doing quite a bit of research on contemplative life, and was wondering how should i go about listening to God’s call

Absolutely, If you feel a call, don’t hold back, GO FOR IT!!

I ask and beseech that the SACRED HEART BLESS You whilst You discern Your Vocation!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

lxoa.wordpress.com/2010/09/01/a-catechism-on-vocations/
God has offered the religious life to all and sincerely desires that all should accept this gift; it is only after his Evangelical Counsels have been rejected that one can discern other states of life. By all means seek entrance to the better and more blessed life.:thumbsup:

thank you!! :smiley: pray for me :signofcross: im thinking of joining the carmelites in allentown pensylvania

I’d go to their website and send a general inquiry explaining your age and general intention and ask them for advice, if I were you. They’ll be able to tell you what you should do next.

I agree, If you are discerning with the Carmelites, the best thing to do is get in touch with them, ask to meet their Vocations Director etc. If you are over 18, usually you can set up a visit with them.

once again, may the SACRED HEART BLESS YOU ABUNDANTLY AS YOU DISCERN!!!

[quote="mymamamary, post:6, topic:302702"]
I agree, If you are discerning with the Carmelites, the best thing to do is get in touch with them, ask to meet their Vocations Director etc. If you are over 18, usually you can set up a visit with them.

once again, may the SACRED HEART BLESS YOU ABUNDANTLY AS YOU DISCERN!!!

[/quote]

thank you! it will be a few years before i can enter, but i am loving my discernament right now :D i really like them! and MAY GOD BLESS YOU TOO!!! :D :D :signofcross:

[quote="iloveangels, post:5, topic:302702"]
I'd go to their website and send a general inquiry explaining your age and general intention and ask them for advice, if I were you. They'll be able to tell you what you should do next.

[/quote]

hmmm i might later, thank you! but for now im looking at communities. and trying to find me genuine spiritually (carmelite, fransiscan, dominican etc ) :D

Just to bring a little reality to this thread,
MaeganFlinchum1, aren’t you in RCIA? Don’t you think that you should be concentrating on becoming Catholic before you think about a vocation?

It is wonderful that you want to explore different spiritualities, and I encourage you to do so, with the guidance of your sponsor and the RCIA director but, my dear, you are putting the cart before the horse!

[quote="Oneofthewomen, post:9, topic:302702"]
Just to bring a little reality to this thread,
MaeganFlinchum1, aren't you in RCIA? Don't you think that you should be concentrating on becoming Catholic before you think about a vocation?

It is wonderful that you want to explore different spiritualities, and I encourage you to do so, with the guidance of your sponsor and the RCIA director but, my dear, you are putting the cart before the horse!

[/quote]

:D :D putting the cart before the horse! sounds like the story of my life! .....i guess i kinda am. im just excited, sorry :o but i seriously think i might have a vocation

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:10, topic:302702"]
:D :D putting the cart before the horse! sounds like the story of my life! .....i guess i kinda am. im just excited, sorry :o but i seriously think i might have a vocation

[/quote]

And if you do indeed have a vocation, it will still be there after you complete RCIA. Please, spend this time in RCIA really getting to know and understand the faith. Ask questions and seek guidance from those whom you know and trust.

If I were you, I would try to meet with sisters in your own community, talk with them and learn from them. It will help you to get a better understanding of what religious life really is and is not.

I admire your zeal, but take it from an older, wiser woman- things will always come in God's time, not ours. We plan, God laughs!! :D

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:10, topic:302702"]

[/quote]

You do, but baptism first. :D

haha!! i love the idea of God laughing! thanks so much! and i will! …eventually (im so shy :)) we actually have a sister in my parish :smiley:

You can keep discerning, with a Priest and Nun of course would be best though!!

I pray and hope that You will become a Saint for Our LORD in Holy Mother Church !!!

Welcome HOME Dear One!!

Fratere Tuus in CORDE JESU

Frenki Fehervari

you have no idea how good that makes me feel. thank you so much! pray for me, and i for you

[quote="MaeganFlinchum1, post:13, topic:302702"]
haha!! i love the idea of God laughing! thanks so much! and i will! ...eventually (im so shy :)) we actually have a sister in my parish :D

[/quote]

I was discerning when I was in RCIA. That said, I knew I wouldn't be "getting serious" about discerning for at least a couple of years after I was Catholic. First thing is to get through is RCIA. Get as much out of that as possible. If you are near a parish that has Adoration - go for it. Daily mass, too, if you can get there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.