Volcanic ash may linger for days over Europe - Mini-eruptions raise concerns about longer-term damage to world, trade

This makes me wonder what happens if the eruptions last not just days, but months or even years? Or, if this prompts the other one, the subglacial volcano (Katla) to begin erupting? This may not just affect travel. This may affect, well, everything and for a very long time to come.

"Volcanic ash may linger for days over Europe
Mini-eruptions raise concerns about longer-term damage to world, trade

LONDON - The Icelandic volcano that has kept much of Europe land-bound is far from finished spitting out its grit, and offered up new mini-eruptions Saturday that raise concerns about longer-term damage to world air travel and trade. "…

Entire article here: msnbc.msn.com/id/36611426

"Iceland’s eruptions could have global consequences

REYKJAVIK, Iceland (AP)—Blasts of lava and ash shot out of a volcano in southern Iceland on Monday and small tremors rocked the ground, a surge in activity that raised fears of a larger explosion at the nearby Katla volcano.

Scientists say history has proven that when the Eyjafjallajokull volcano erupts, Katla follows—the only question is how soon. And Katla, located under the massive Myrdalsjokull icecap, threatens disastrous flooding and explosive blasts when it blows."…

Entire article here: rdmag.com/News/2010/03/General-Science-Geology-Icelands-eruptions-could-have-global-consequences/

This: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

and this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KLM_Flight_867

are why aircraft cannot fly into volcanic ash.

If an even greater eruption follows, then I can only hope and pray that all will be evacuated safely before then.

Although this has affected economic matters, is there not something beautiful to a volcano as well? I'm not saying I find destruction beautiful, but, the power of it...truly we are very small compared to the powers of the Lord.

Indeed we are. But we shouldn’t confuse nature, and natural processes, for God’s hand.

Gen 3:19
…“For you are dirt, and to dirt you shall return.”

Although God has given us dominion over the world, we are part of nature.

So how is His Holiness going to travel to the UK if air travel is still shut down?
Actually, a train trip might be more relaxing for a man of his years.

Someone needs to make this volcano buy some carbon credits.

""...Others are engaging even in an eco- type of terrorism whereby they can alter the climate, set off earthquakes, volcanoes remotely through the use of electromagnetic waves...So there are plenty of ingenious minds out there that are at work finding ways in which they can wreak terror upon other nations. It's real, and that's the reason why we have to intensify our efforts, and that's why this is so important."

** 1997 Conference**
** U.S. Secretary of Defense William Cohen**

Source: Link to transcript of conference
thememoryhole.org/mil/cohen-ecoweapons.htm

I really hope you’re not being serious. Every engineer, geologist, and geophysicists in the world is laughing at this.

Secretary of Defense Cohen was quite serious about it and he made the statement for a reason and I do not think he deliberately lied.

Your reply is sort of ridiculing in tone. A quote from a former Secretary of Defense is what it is, and it is not something about which I am to be considered serious or not serious.

I don’t think he lied, however, its worth nothing that he seemed to be using Alvin Toffler as a source. Mr. Toffler is reknowned futurist, but his scenarios are often somewhat fanciful.

Sec. of Defense William Cohen was responding to a question regarding a possible terrorist incident at B’nai B’rith headquarters in DC. This concerned a package, received in the mail, which was oozing a liquid. The envelope stated “Anthrax” and there was a broken petri dish inside the package.
articles.baltimoresun.com/1997-04-25/news/7901010881_1_bnai-brith-substance-washington

Sec. Cohen’s somewhat rambling answer, I think, was simply meant to indicate that the US took the threat of terrorism seriously, and was investigating all scenarios.

Of course it’s ridiculing, because it’s ridicules. Unless you can find either of an engineer (preferably a geotechnical engineer), a geologist, or a geophysicist to back this up, it’s nothing more than the ranting of a politician. Hugo Chavez recently accused the US government of causing the Haiti earthquake with a similar doomsday device and very rightly he got ridiculed for it.

You watch too many Hollywood movies (just a tip for the future, most of the science in Hollywood movies is not just bad or slightly incorrect, it’s downright wrong and made up).

[quote="exoflare, post:7, topic:195200"]
Someone needs to make this volcano buy some carbon credits.

[/quote]

Lol!! All of our technology and there is nothing we can do to stop this. Maybe men will come to realize just how puny we are compared to the power of God.

"He frustrates the designs of the nations
he defeats the plans of the peoples.
His own designs shall stand for ever,
the plans of his heart from age to age."
Psalm 33

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.