Volunteering on Sunday?

I was planning to begin some volunteer work at a nearby hospital mainly because I’d like to get involved in my community for once and secondarily because it’s useful to have those volunteer hours down on a resume or a CV. Now, the hospital requires that its volunteer applicants commit to working for at least one year on one specific day. Sunday may be the only day that would work for me. The volunteering shift is only 4 hours, and I would be able to go in the afternoon, when my family members are usually out doing their own thing. Would it be ok to volunteer on Sunday in my situation?

I would say it is fine. Sundays are a day of rest but it is also good to help others and volunteering in a hospital seems like a great way of doing that. Besides, hospitals need to be open 24/7 so it is necessary work for those that need to work on that day, but you are volunteering which is fine. Just make sure you make it to mass and have some rest.

Visiting the Sick is a Corporal Work of Mercy. I think you are ok. :wink:

Just remember Jesus healed people on Sundays…

As this poster said, and the next poster also in another way:

The Catechism of the Catholic Church supports these statements

"A day of grace and rest from work

2184 Just as God "rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had done,"121 human life has a rhythm of work and rest. The institution of the Lord’s Day helps everyone enjoy adequate rest and leisure to cultivate their familial, cultural, social, and religious lives.122

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

The charity of truth seeks holy leisure- the necessity of charity accepts just work.124 

2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c1a3.htm

We are not to do servile work.
We ARE to be the hands and feet of Christ.
Regarding your CV: many employers want to know that their new hires are compassionate and caring people.
Nothing wrong in listing the charitable service you are involved in. You might inspire the company to do likewise. Sometimes they are simply looking fro an entrée into an area that they may want to become involved in. Better that those things should be good ministries, and not ones with questionable practices.
God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.