Volunteering on Sunday

Good day to you all!

I seem to be becoming more and more busy as of late. School on the weekdays, volunteering at the hospital on Saturday and my only free day on Sunday. In a few months from now, I am going to begin my summer job which will first take up my Saturdays and then the rest of my week after school is done. In order for me to continue volunteering at the hospital, as well as keep my summer job, my only option would be to volunteer on Sunday. Would this be acceptable? To go into more detail, I would do a 4 hour shift in the afternoon at the hospital’s gift shop, so in that way, I can still attend Mass and have time in the morning to spend with family. What’s your take on this?

I personally think it’s okay because you’re using that time to serve others. But I will be interested to see what others think…

Read the 3rd Commandment.

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
2186 Those Christians who have leisure should be mindful of their brethren who have the same needs and the same rights, yet cannot rest from work because of poverty and misery. Sunday is traditionally consecrated by Christian piety to good works and humble service of the sick, the infirm, and the elderly. Christians will also sanctify Sunday by devoting time and care to their families and relatives, often difficult to do on other days of the week. Sunday is a time for reflection, silence, cultivation of the mind, and meditation which furthers the growth of the Christian interior life.
This seems to describe what you are doing (or are planning to do). Keep up the good work!

This would be a perfect way to spend a Sunday! God bless you! :slight_smile:

I volunteer 1 Sunday a month with a low-income spay/neuter cat clinic. Sometimes Sunday is the only day available for volunteering.

It’s fine. God bless you. Wish more people would take the time to volunteer. :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.