Voodoo faith 'could hinder Haiti's recovery

Is this true?

If so can someone provide a link to this information?

**The Catholic church officially backs the right of families to practise voodoo. **Protestant missionaries have been less sympathetic, classifying family spirits as demons.
timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article6990002.ece

I can't imagine this to be true.

Wow! That is absolutely preposterous! In no way shape or form does the Catholic Church support any forms of sorcery or the Occult...

According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future. Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.
2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one's service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another's credulity.

It's sick to think that a "Catholic" Bishop would support such things as voodoo and idolatry. Either that or the article just wanted to make some false claim against the Catholic Church. Anyways, that should clear it up, eh?

God bless and may the Lord have mercy on the lost souls in Haiti

Maybe this is simply a recognition that in some countries, Haiti is now in the spotlight, voodoo is widespread and practiced even by those who are baptized Catholics. I agree generally that no bishop would support voodoo.

The Catholic church would never support Voodoo. I cant imagine how much work the Catholic Church must have been doing in that poor country. Our priests down there must spent so much time working on souls to turn from voodoo. God Bless them.

I was watching CNN last night.. and this culture is bizarre.... they were explaining the voodoo these people do on the dead. The have a ritual on burying bacause they believe some evil spirit in thier loved one will come to get them next if they dont throw sugar and some other stuff on the body.

Haiti needs our unceasing prayers for their full conversion. This half catholic/half voodoo sounds evil to me.

[quote="Stjudeprayforus, post:4, topic:183316"]
The Catholic church would never support Voodoo. I cant imagine how much work the Catholic Church must have been doing in that poor country. Our priests down there must spent so much time working on souls to turn from voodoo. God Bless them.

I was watching CNN last night.. and this culture is bizarre.... they were explaining the voodoo these people do on the dead. The have a ritual on burying bacause they believe some evil spirit in thier loved one will come to get them next if they dont throw sugar and some other stuff on the body.

Haiti needs our unceasing prayers for their full conversion. This half catholic/half voodoo sounds evil to me.

[/quote]

Hey Jude,
what do you think the TIME article is referring to, though?

Surely they aren't excommunicating those who mix their beliefs, as the American Church isn't excommunicating Catholic communicants who co-habitate, or abort. or lie or steal.........Just wishing I knew what the article is referring to when it states,
"officially backs the rights of the Haitian families to practice voodoo."

It was over this kind of public misinformation that I left the Catholic Church. :mad:

[quote="graceandglory, post:5, topic:183316"]
Hey Jude,
what do you think the TIME article is referring to, though?

Surely they aren't excommunicating those who mix their beliefs, as the American Church isn't excommunicating Catholic communicants who co-habitate, or abort. or lie or steal.........Just wishing I knew what the article is referring to when it states,
"officially backs the rights of the Haitian families to practice voodoo."

It was over this kind of public misinformation that I left the Catholic Church. :mad:

[/quote]

Sounds like they would have to excommunicate everyone.

From the little I have read and seen on tv.. this is an entire culture that belives in this voodoo nonsense.

How missionaries can turn an entire nation away from it.. ugh.. must be an awesome task.

Where is the beginning of the Mississippi River? Black or White thinking will keep you searching forever.

Who are you talking to? :confused:

I’m looking for a fact. The author says that there is some ***official ***Catholic teaching that okays voodoo.
Either the author of the Time article lied, or it’s true. So if it’s true, you’d think someone could come up with this fact someplace. So far, the official teaching in the Catechism of the Catholic Church is the only official Catholic teaching that has come forth.

[quote="graceandglory, post:1, topic:183316"]
Is this true?

If so can someone provide a link to this information?

I can't imagine this to be true.

[/quote]

I can't imagine it to be true, either. I've spent about half an hour digging around online, and it seems that all that could be honestly said is that the Church unofficially chooses not to fight it because they did try to fight it in the past-- and it was not productive.

I think maybe somebody should ask the writer of the article or the man who is quoted, "What is your evidence for this claim"?

Done.

This article describes the history of voodoo in Haiti and its association with Catholicism. The Church does seem to have decided pastorally to make its peace with voodoo there.

The author is at a loss to explain the ability of Haitians to practise voodoo **and **Catholicism without seeing any contradiction.

It’s possible that the fatalism that seems to dominate voodoo will be the dominant negative factor in Haiti’s recovery.

Well, in trying to learn about where Lord Griffiths might be coming from, I found this.
Doesn’t seem like he is anti-Catholic. He praises Pope Benedict.

blogcatalog.com/blog/acton-institute-powerblog-1/23b186585038ab671d160e4acf2a56c7

Pope Benedict is the man on the money
The best analysis yet of the global economic crisis tells how people, not just rules, must change

When Cardinal Ratzinger was elected Pope, his strengths and weaknesses seemed clear. Here was an eminent theologian, philosopher and guardian of Christian truth, but a man unlikely to make the Church’s message relevant to the world today. How simplistic this now looks in the light of his third encyclical, in which Pope Benedict XVI confronts head-on the financial crisis that has rocked the world.

[quote="graceandglory, post:10, topic:183316"]
Done.

[/quote]

:clapping: I hope you get an answer-- and tell us, of course!

Easy! That’s Lake Itasca, Minnesota. I don’t see what’s so mysterious about that?

The Church has historically been inclusive of certain indigenous cultural and religious practices in different countries, but I don’t see how there’s much room for voodoo in Catholicism.

I live in an area where a certain type of voodoo is practiced. There’s a lot of discussion about a marriage of Catholicism and voodoo, but it’s misleading. It’s overwhelmingly a one-way street. There is an influence and tolerance of Catholicism in voodoo, but not the other way around.

Also, people also tend to equate tolerance of voodoo practitioners with tolerating voodoo itself. For example, a parish might allow a known voodoo practitioner to take Communion. It might not reflect well on the parish, but it certainly doesn’t mean “The Church” is ok with the person’s sins.

Well I live in an area where lots of homosexuality is practiced. I know that there are people who try to marry their Catholic faith with their sins, whatever they may be, but the Church does not officially back the right of people to practice this sinful behavior.

An article that says this better be able to back it up with at least ONE source documenting official Catholic teaching. Otherwise, this is scandalous to say the least.

Here is a National Geographic video about Hatian Voodoo. It touches on how the Catholic Church is in opposition to Voodoo.
youtube.com/watch?v=kpeLdXeIbwA

If you don't want to click on the link you can do a search on YouTube - " Haitian Voodoo"

I don’t believe The Church encourages voodoo at all. I think the priests are trying to deal with the reality of this practice among the Haitians as best they can. I’m sure lots of prayers have gone up asking God to remove this practice from the people.

In the meantime, should priests turn parishioners away who they know are practicing voodoo? I don’t think so. Maybe some people interpret this as ‘accepting voodoo’? I think it’s just priests trying to minister to people who practice voodoo.

Here’s an article I found, written by a Haitian group, that mentions just how ingrained voodoo is in Haiti. The article seems to have been written after 2002.

The article states “Haiti’s government has officially sanctioned voodoo as a religion, allowing practitioners to begin performing ceremonies from baptisms to marriages with legal authority.”

Here’s the link to the entire article:

wehaitians.com/voodoo%20glover%20aristide.html

It’s very disturbing to see how pervasive voodoo seems to be among the people.

Okay, this has been bothering me… :eek: Here is what I found. Based on the only reference to voodoo I could find from the Vatican website (but that doesn’t mean that there are not others that I didn’t find)-- the Times is wrong and needs to correct the record.

1. From a bulletin of a synod of bishops:

vatican.va/news_services/press/sinodo/documents/bollettino_17_speciale-america-1997/02_inglese/b20_02.html

"In Haiti, the Church has sought out cultural elements and utilized them in the liturgy, in catechesis and in pastoral activity in general. Nevertheless, the Church must be vigilant, especially with regard to voodoo which is not a valid, complete response to the profound aspirations of man and which most often engenders fear, division and vengeance.

There is much propaganda today in favor of voodoo. Voodoo certainly conveys very rich cultural elements. However, **cultural elements and voodoo beliefs must not be confused as **if they were the same thing. A musical instrument, a musical rhythm, is neutral in itself. The identity of Haitian people does not necessarily express itself in voodoo."

1. clericalwhispers.blogspot.com/2009/11/voodoo-music-study-makes-vatican.html

“The Vatican Library has added to its collection a South Carolina State University professor’s study on the inculturation of voodoo in a Catholic Mass.”

1. I also found a spurious web page (I am not going to post the link) which twisted the facts regarding Pope John Paul II greeting a voodoo priest in Benin in 1993. The headlines of the meeting were very misleading-- you can imagine for yourself I am sure, what Catholic-bashers would come up with.

This is all very odd.

I think our Priests and nuns must have been working very hard to change their wicked ways. God Bless them for all they do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.