Vote First - Then Read!

When people are not attending Mass, taking the sacraments, or taking part in daily prayer do they really know Jesus? Do these same people have trees up in the house? If Jesus came to his own birthday party would he be out of place or would he be welcomed? Just something to think about - has your family truly invited Jesus into your home for his brithday party this year?

MAYBE a tree this year will result in a prayer next year :wink:

Just something that came from mass on Sunday and it was a make you stop and think kind of thing.

I voted first and read later...I feel duped.:confused: I think the better question is would you go to a birthday party for someone you didn't know OR would you throw a party on someone's birthday and not mention that it's their birthday.

Everyone here is catholic or aware of catholic values. OF COURSE we want Jesus in the holidays.

I think you can speak for yourself here - and there is a difference between WANTING Jesus in Christmas and HAVING Jesus in Christmas. We are judged by our actions not our intent.

[quote="joandarc2008, post:5, topic:178977"]
I think you can speak for yourself here - and there is a difference between WANTING Jesus in Christmas and HAVING Jesus in Christmas. We are judged by our actions not our intent.

[/quote]

Yes, although we have to be cautious of condemning those who are still learning ;)
or holding ourselves above others since we believe we have already learned :)

If a stranger was frank and honest to the point and made people think about what they should change in their lives and then everyone wanted to kill and cruicify him because he was like that. I'd let him in my house and give him a really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really ..........................big birthday party. Like I mean HUGE.

I voted for no I wouldn't have a party for a stranger.
So now is say I guess that would depend on the circumstances.

[quote="JustAnotherThou, post:6, topic:178977"]
Yes, although we have to be cautious of condemning those who are still learning ;)
or holding ourselves above others since we believe we have already learned :)

[/quote]

I'm not holding myself above anyone. I'm just saying that I felt decieved by the post becuause it makes the assumption that we don't keep Jesus in Christmas....or do it enough. Which, I was irratated by and think that its very redundant on a board of Christian Catholics.

I'm not sure it's a good meditative point because the Christmas tree has become a secular symbol for the secular holiday.

We do get a lot of Catholics at Christmas Mass that don't come the rest of the year. I wonder what we could do to invite them back or into a deeper relationship with Jesus?

I had my own years away from the Church. And, I have relatives away from the Church. I keep wondering what little present I could give them to invite them back to the Church without offending them.

I think I will pray about this. Thank you, op, for inspiring this thought

This coming from a woman who just referred to ADVENT as the HOLIDAYS on a CHRISTIAN website?

[quote="joandarc2008, post:10, topic:178977"]
This coming from a woman who just referred to ADVENT as the HOLIDAYS on a CHRISTIAN website?

[/quote]

Ummm. Last time I checked Holidays or HOLY DAYS are a collection of holy days, Including Advent, the Feast of St. Nicholas, the Annunciation of Mary, Gaduette Sunday, Divine Mercy Sunday, Christmas, Holy Family Sunday(err something like that), Solemnity of Mary, and the Epifiany.

Happy HOLIDAYS.

I went back and checked just to make sure I hadn’t misread your post.

I know what HOLY DAYS are considering I was married on the Feast of St Nicholas. But you didn’t say that. Even while espousing that we are all Catholic/Christian on this website you slipped back in to the politically correct nomenclature of holidays and proved the point.

re: "Vote First - Then Read" ... I thought this was going to be some sort of commentary on our elected "representatives" in Washington (who vote on plenty of bills without reading them first) :)

I was surprised by the reason for the vote first then read. I voted yes I would give that person a birthday party - I could really envision a family member of mine calling and saying, "so and so is coming to town, you know, your Aunt's friend's cousin's sister once removed, and their son is sad because it is his birthday. Can you invite 15 of your kids' closest friends over for a birthday party? We'll bring his 6 sisters. Don't forget the cake, he really likes chocolate...".

[quote="purplesunshine, post:8, topic:178977"]
I'm not holding myself above anyone. I'm just saying that I felt decieved by the post becuause it makes the assumption that we don't keep Jesus in Christmas....or do it enough. Which, I was irratated by and think that its very redundant on a board of Christian Catholics.

[/quote]

I am sorry for the mistake, I wasn't intenting that your post ment you were. I agree with a PP poster that said

We do get a lot of Catholics at Christmas Mass that don't come the rest of the year. I wonder what we could do to invite them back or into a deeper relationship with Jesus?

I had my own years away from the Church. And, I have relatives away from the Church. I keep wondering what little present I could give them to invite them back to the Church without offending them.

I just feel the start of this whole thread is like so many threads that get started this time of year trying to point out that some believe they are more Catholic or christian than others. I really don't see the need for these type of threads to begin with. That was my point of my posts on this thread.

While part of GOD will always be an eternal mystery to us I feel I do know Jesus and God. Not totally but could anyone human ever really totally know GOD except Jesus. Jesus we know better because he was human. I'm not a theologin but my gut feeling tells me I do know him. :thumbsup:

I don't think it has anything to do with being more Catholic or more Christian - it has something to do with doing something on a daily basis to improve a relationship with someone that should be the most important to us.

[quote="joandarc2008, post:12, topic:178977"]
I went back and checked just to make sure I hadn't misread your post.

I know what HOLY DAYS are considering I was married on the Feast of St Nicholas. But you didn't say that. Even while espousing that we are all Catholic/Christian on this website you slipped back in to the politically correct nomenclature of holidays and proved the point.

[/quote]

Its not politicaly correct nominclature I don't say "Merry Christmas" except on Christmas. Holidays aren't days off or a celebritory day, they are holy days. Thats what they ARE. Chaunnaka, Kwanzza, and whatever other days people choose to celebrate are just festivles. Holidays is a Christian word.

and technically Christmas begins on Dec 25 and ends on Jan 6.

[quote="joandarc2008, post:17, topic:178977"]
I don't think it has anything to do with being more Catholic or more Christian - it has something to do with doing something on a daily basis to improve a relationship with someone that should be the most important to us.

[/quote]

Sorry I guess I misread these questions in your original post

When people are not attending Mass, taking the sacraments, or taking part in daily prayer do they really know Jesus? Do these same people have trees up in the house?

Maybe praying for these people should be important to us

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.