Vote for your Least Favorite Christmas Chore, Obligation, or Tradition

So, what’s your least favorite part of the Christmas season? If you don’t like the choices here, tell us your own. What part of Christmas bugs you?

Oh my and I can only choose one??? I voted for the family blow ups… nothing like visiting inlaws that hate Catholics and love to tell me about it :mad: then expect me to love and tolerate them. This is the first Christmas in 4 years that I won’t be around them and it’s a geographic reason that I’m exploiting… :smiley: And loving every minute of it so far!!!

Writing Christmas cards wasn’t on the list! But today my hubby has to drive 50 miles out of his way after work to go to the company Christmas lunch!! Although we both doubt anyone will be drunk (actually, we’d be surprised if alcohol is present at all), it’s still annoying that they would hold the lunch so far away from the company when there are many great options right in town! Oh, no, I doubt that the fact that this thing is being held in one of the partner’s hometown has anything to do with it :mad:

I voted for the Christmas party though I solved the dilemna by bowing out each year with the excuse “I’m so sorry! But living so far away makes it difficult to attend. Think of me though, ok? And everyone dance at least one dance for me!”.

Then, when they all share their “oh my head hurt so bad the next day” stories on Monday I just smile…:wink:

Showing up at my MIL’s and the dinner that she insisted that she cook alone is NOT finished and I spend an hour in her kitchen helping her finish…now that irks me!

Like, let me cook something, let everyone else cook something, then it will all be ready to eat and we don’t have to spend so much time in the kitchen with each other…almost getting ready to cut each other’s throats!

Lesson learned…show up over an hour late…excuse…we have three kids now!

Another, my MIL starting in mid October wanting to know Christmas plans. Get real…I don’t even know what my plans are for tomorrow. Gosh…can you tell…me and my MIL :banghead:

My MIL is the only reason that I don’t look forward to all the get togethers etc. Everything else, I’m cool with!

It’s a tie between drunk co-workers and fattening food…

Where’s “putting up Christmas lights”? I just finished putting some up at my parents’ place, and I realize now why it took four of us to do it when I was younger. :rolleyes:

God bless,

Agricola

None of teh above - but I’m afraid I hate Christmas Masses. They are so crowded as everyone who only comes at Christmas and Easter comes out, impossible to get a seat even if you come early. I went once when I was 8 months pregnant and do you think anyone gave me a seat? I almost left until the priest dragged one out of the confessional for me. I’m afraid I find the Christmas Mass crowd and environment very stressful.

[quote=mumto5]None of teh above - but I’m afraid I hate Christmas Masses. They are so crowded as everyone who only comes at Christmas and Easter comes out, impossible to get a seat even if you come early. I went once when I was 8 months pregnant and do you think anyone gave me a seat? I almost left until the priest dragged one out of the confessional for me. I’m afraid I find the Christmas Mass crowd and environment very stressful.
[/quote]

Dear Mum,
I wholeheartedly agree, but I was too embarrassed to put that as a choice. I get very claustophobic, and you get so many people who don’t uusually go, and their children look bored. It’s smart to get there early and get a good seat, and cling to it for dear life. :eek:

[quote=spiritblows]Dear Mum,
I wholeheartedly agree, but I was too embarrassed to put that as a choice. I get very claustophobic, and you get so many people who don’t uusually go, and their children look bored. It’s smart to get there early and get a good seat, and cling to it for dear life. :eek:
[/quote]

I know what you mean. I hestitated before posting that :wink: I do like the Christmas Mass in itself. I just find, with young children, it’s a very stressful environment and that takes the shine off it. Wish I didn’t feel that way.

[quote=spiritblows]Dear Mum,
[/quote]

Get up early (8), open presents and play for a little while (8-9:30), toss some pop tarts to the kids (9:30-10), get dressed (10-10:55) and go to the latest mass at your church on Christmas Day. (ours is at 11 am) Very light attendance, and only “regulars”.

This DOES work!!! Much better than arriving 1/2 hr. early and crowding in a pew with 4 hungry, excited, dc!!! (Make sure you have clothes layed out beforehand though!)

Problem solved. :smiley:

[quote=Siena]Get up early (8), open presents and play for a little while (8-9:30), toss some pop tarts to the kids (9:30-10), get dressed (10-10:55) and go to the latest mass at your church on Christmas Day. (ours is at 11 am) Very light attendance, and only “regulars”.

This DOES work!!! Much better than arriving 1/2 hr. early and crowding in a pew with 4 hungry, excited, dc!!! (Make sure you have clothes layed out beforehand though!)

Problem solved. :smiley:
[/quote]

Unfortunately, most parishes have only the one Christmas Mass. Some have Christmas Eve and one on Christmas morning. All packed out. I’d try midnight Mass but that’s not practical for me right now.

our 3 Christmas eve Masses & Midnight are packed, because that is Mexican tradition, Church is half empty on the Christmas day Masses (which this year will be the regular Sunday schedule). Actually, I love seeing a packed church, hopefully that will motivate parishioners to support our building campaign.

I can’t stand the terrible renditions of Christmas songs by pop singers that are on every station. If you can’t sing O Holy Night, please do not attempt it, and that means you if your name is not Pavarotti or Te Kanawa.
the worst for me is the shopping crowds thing. I don’t go near a mall from Nov thru Jan. Shop on-line and have it shipped, including giftcards, or with donations to charities supported by those to whom I am giving a gift. DH always insists on going out just before Christmas for some last minute thing (like last night), fortunately he took one look at the checkout lines and we left, he will take my advice and buy online.

I do not like mall shopping in general, so the chaotic Christmas shopping atmosphere usually causes me to shudder in horror. I’ve learned quickly to do my necessary shopping on Monday and Tuesday nights, avoid weekends like the plague, and for the rest, shop online or make treats. I have no skill with sugar cookies, but I can do fudge and I’m trying my hand at truffles this year. Those should fit nicely into the little gift tins that I bought at Meijer way back in October for $1 each. :slight_smile:

Definitely: Shopping for gifts, fighting crowds, etc…

That is why I did my shopping BEFORE Thanksgiving. During the Christmas season, I only go to the mall from 5PM to 7PM when everyone is eating dinner.

PF

I could only vote for one, so I chose the family blow up one (as there is one going on right now, and I’m not looking forward to being with family!). However, I also abhor fighting the crowds to shop. :eek:

Get up early (8), open presents

wow we always got our parents up at 6:30. the rule was the sun had to be out first. and that was after midnight mass.

i love chirstmas letters, but that is just me. i voted shopping. yuck. we do most of it online

I have to agree with the crowded Mass on Christmas Eve. Our parish has several masses on Christmas Day, and none of them are crowded. But, kids sing in the choir on Christmas Eve, and son is altar serving, so we will be there this year. Probably get there an hour early. At least I don’t have to have seats for those three children that are involved in the Mass!

We did all our shopping online this year, and it has been stress free! I will probably do this every year. The one drawback: We did it early enough to not stress about the stuff arriving on time, and now our dear children have changed their minds on what they want!:banghead: That’s why I voted for greedy children being my least favorite part about Christmas! Pass the Advil, I feel a headache coming on…

Crowds! Unfortunately, I usually end up doing some Christmas shopping late, and I’m wading through the crowds. It makes me so cranky and un-Christian. Ah, I guess it’s a chance to learn patience, right!

Geez,
I wishI could have chosen more than one. I really dont like shopping for presents. I never know exactly what to get my family and friends. The overwhelming food is great until the next morning when you realize ya probably shouldnt have eaten so much. I am sooo glad to hear that I am not the only one whos family yells and screams over something during the holidays! I seriousely thought my familywas the only one. If I had a wine glass right now, I’d toast to disfunctional families. But considering I cant drink yet and I dont have a wine glass, I’ll just do that in my head. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.