Voters in California contemplate forming new state

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Residents of California’s largely rural, agrarian and politically conservative far northern counties long ago got used to feeling ignored in the state Capitol and out of sync with major urban areas.

The idea of forming their own state has been a topic among local secession dreamers for more than a century. Residents in two counties will have a chance to voice that sentiment next week.

Voters in Del Norte and Tehama, with a combined population of about 91,000, will decide June 3 on an advisory measure that asks each county’s board of supervisors to join a wider effort to form a 51st state named Jefferson.

news.yahoo.com/voters-california-contemplate-forming-state-165502069.html;_ylt=AwrBJR9UHoZTrzgAiDnQtDMD

It’ll never happen. They’ve already tried and failed in Colorado. Know why? Because the people who decide those things and have the power are liberals!

Various different groups of Californians have been doing this for years, since the state legislature is dominated by Democrats and our votes don’t really count in California. As a conservative, I think it’s a great idea, but I don’t think it will ever succeed.

They said it couldn’t be done. So we didn’t do it. :rolleyes:

Peace,
Ed

“New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new States shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.”
US Constitution, Article 4, Section 3, Clause 1

It fails right here IMHO. In order to split California, you need to get the current California legislature to agree to let the northern half go. If political power is so one sided now that the northern counties believe they are underrepresented, they will never have the political muscle to achieve the separation vote.

Energy would be better spent working within the system to fix what is broke.

However, Congress stopped adhering to the Constitution a long time ago.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

They can have their new State as long as they agree to pay off their portion of the California debt before Statehood is awarded.

I think it’s a bad idea, if only because of the name. It would forever be confused with other entities, much like Washington is.

Example:
Jefferson State Community College

However, if such a state is created, I hope its capital is named Jefferson City.

They aren’t even contiguous counties…

It fails right there?

So that is why Tennessee seceded from North Carolina? Vermont from New York, Kentucky from Virginia, Maine from Massachusetts and I wonder why it is called West Virginia. You suppose it was once a part of Virginia?

Bad example. That was Virginia seceding from the Union, then the western part of the state seceding from the Confederacy and rejoining the Union.

But yeah. I feel the northern Californians’ pain. Politics-wise, Illinois may as well be the grand state of Chicago.

Procedurally, it was the Federal Government whom recognized West Virginia so that secession could not have occurred it seems without agreement from Washington. So, that doesn’t seem like a bad example but like the other examples.

The South did not recognize the new state.

I believe we are speaking about the possibility of the current California Legislation allowing the state to split, not recapping history are we not? With respect, given the current California legislature, I stand by what I say. Splitting California (the topic at hand) IMHO fails right there as no matter what the northern counties vote, they do not have the political clout to put it past the legislature.

Congress, current and former administrations, the courts - depending on your view there is a lot of that going around. :smiley: …but I’m a liberal conservative so don’t go by me…:wink:

How is that any different than the 11 Confederate states who bailed out? Will never happen because it will only open a can of worms.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.