Votive candles

So, our church just got these candles and I feel kind of stupid because I don't know how to use them. :shrug: I have never belonged to a church that used them before. Can someone explain what exactly they are, what is their significance and how does one use them please? Thank you.

[quote="missionarygirl, post:1, topic:296494"]
So, our church just got these candles and I feel kind of stupid because I don't know how to use them. :shrug: I have never belonged to a church that used them before. Can someone explain what exactly they are, what is their significance and how does one use them please? Thank you.

[/quote]

You light the candle, say a private prayer for a good cause or for a person or persons, and leave a donation (it should be the cost of the candle or more, unless you cannot afford that). Also for our gratitude to God. Light is a symbol of the light of Christ, and is also an outward sign of devotion, that provides visible witness of the Catholic faith.

I would add only that a lit candle is a sign of prayer ascending to the Lord.

[/quote]

You give an offering, usually posted, and light your candle. Then you say a prayer for your intention. The candle is a sign of your petition and prayer.

Or in some churches, you turn the switch on to light the “electric candle”.
Old Churches = Old Wood

Old wood + unwatched fire = burned down Church. Not a good idea.

In some places the fire code mandates the use of the “electric candle”

Thank you all for your replies. They are very helpful. :smiley:

Now the only question I have is what do I do with my donation? I’ve seen some stands for the candles that have a little slot in the middle for donations but our’s doesn’t have that. :confused:

If I were you I would leave the donation nearby. Our candle stand does have the little donation slot but there are usually some dollar bills near the statue of Mary next to it (or even in her hands :smiley: )

Or maybe just include a little more in your regular offering to cover the candles?

[quote="agw123, post:5, topic:296494"]
Or in some churches, you turn the switch on to light the "electric candle".

Old Churches = Old Wood

In some places the fire code mandates the use of the "electric candle"

[/quote]

My family has experience with that. At this shrine we regularly go to, my Grandmother was lighting a candle in one of the two side chapels (Blessed Sacrament and one with a statue of Our Lady of Fatima) and there was another lady lighting a candle. The lady put the stick pack into the bucket of sand and it caught all of the other sticks on fire. The lady shrugged at my Grandmother and there was nothing they could do. :(

[quote="missionarygirl, post:6, topic:296494"]
Thank you all for your replies. They are very helpful. :D

Now the only question I have is what do I do with my donation? I've seen some stands for the candles that have a little slot in the middle for donations but our's doesn't have that. :confused:

[/quote]

Sometimes there's a box or offering tube nearby? Most Parishes I've been to are $0.25 for a little candle and $2.00 - $3.00 for a large candle. If there is no sort of offering box, slot, tube then personally I would add it to my offering during Mass..

:p:p

They put an article about this in the church bulletin yesterday. Great timing!

:p:p

I guess I’ll just add the donation to the collection basket. Thank you for your help!!

One other thing, when you pass by a stand of votive candles, say a small prayer for the intentions of those who have light the candles.

In that way, you are adding your prayer to theirs. You might not know the particular intentions involved, but God does and will apply your prayer accordingly.

:thumbsup:

[quote="Brendan, post:11, topic:296494"]
One other thing, when you pass by a stand of votive candles, say a small prayer for the intentions of those who have light the candles.

In that way, you are adding your prayer to theirs. You might not know the particular intentions involved, but God does and will apply your prayer accordingly.

[/quote]

That's such a great idea! Thanks! :D

[quote="agw123, post:5, topic:296494"]
Or in some churches, you turn the switch on to light the "electric candle".

Old Churches = Old Wood

In some places the fire code mandates the use of the "electric candle"

[/quote]

I was alone in deep contemplative meditation in a middle of the night adoration shift. Someone brought their own candle which was not compatible with our votive candle holders, so the flame burned up against the glass. There was a loud bang that scared the poo out of me. I went to investigate and found the candle holder exploded (pieces actually flew) and lit wax was burning on the iron table. :eek: We have signs stating not to bring your own candles, but we wouldn't want to obey those. :rolleyes::shrug:

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:13, topic:296494"]
I was alone in deep contemplative meditation in a middle of the night adoration shift. Someone brought their own candle which was not compatible with our votive candle holders, so the flame burned up against the glass. There was a loud bang that scared the poo out of me. I went to investigate and found the candle holder exploded (pieces actually flew) and lit wax was burning on the iron table. :eek: We have signs stating not to bring your own candles, but we wouldn't want to obey those. :rolleyes::shrug:

[/quote]

Deep meditation? Loud explosion? I think maybe God was trying to tell someone something. :eek: ;) :D

[quote="Deo_Gratias42, post:13, topic:296494"]

[/quote]

[quote="missionarygirl, post:14, topic:296494"]
Deep meditation? Loud explosion? I think maybe God was trying to tell someone something. :eek: ;) :D

[/quote]

Yes, he was telling you not to burn down His house. :o

[quote="missionarygirl, post:14, topic:296494"]

[/quote]

I was likely meditating on those who are weary and tired. :D

[quote="Brendan, post:11, topic:296494"]

[/quote]

What a beautiful thing to do.

[/quote]

Very good way to pray for the holy souls in Purgatory

[/quote]

Votive candles are great for prayer and receiving positive energy. Many churches use them because they are natural. They burn up to 50 hours. We use them as well. We have change where we purchase our candles. If you are interested, ezptmdsolutions.com sell the candles at discount if you purchase 100 or more candles.

Good luck. I am sure you will figure it out. Make sure to pray with a clear mind. It matters.

closed #20

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.