VW workers in Tennessee reject UAW in devastating defeat for union

CHATTANOOGA, TENN. — The UAW suffered a devastating defeat at Volkswagen’s plant here as workers rejected union representation by a 712-626 margin.

The defeat, which came despite Volkswagen’s neutrality, tarnishes UAW President Bob King’s legacy and could make it next to impossible for the union to extend its reach beyond domestic automakers.

“While we certainly would have liked a victory for workers here, we deeply respect the Volkswagen Global Group Works Council, Volkswagen management and (German union) IG Metall for doing their best to create a free and open atmosphere for workers to exercise their basic human right to form a union,” King said in a statement.

freep.com/article/20140214/BUSINESS0104/302140095/uaw-volkswagen-chattanooga

I haven’t been following this issue, but according to the news article there was an astonishing amount of political interference before the vote was taken.

Volkswagen’s position on the matter is interesting. Quoting from the news article:

Unlike previous failed UAW campaigns at Nissan and Honda plants, Volkswagen did not resist the union here.

Volkswagen has said it favors the creation of a German-style “works council,” which gives workers a voice on a variety of product and other decisions. Under U.S. law, a union must represent employees for a company to form a works council.

I wonder what a works council is like at Volkswagen plants outside of the US? How would it differ from a works council in the US, with union representation?

It’s a shame, the good guys lost by 44 votes.

ATB

So those workers who feel their employer treats them fairly, and pays them a good wage are the “bad guys”?

Anything that weakens the Leftist front known as “labor unions” is a good thing.

:thumbsup:

Secret ballots are a wonderful thing. What is better than giving workers the right to make an uncoerced choice?

coercing them to vote with the “good guys”? :rolleyes:

It is too bad, if their decision was unfairly influenced by outside interests. But if these workers are truly satisfied with the contract they have with VW, then good for Volkswagen, and good for their employees.

The union (outside interest) was allowed to voice their viewpoint. Why wouldn’t other outside interests be allowed to voice a differing opinion?

This was just one vote. If the workers ever feel their interests will be better served by a united voice, they can always vote again. Obviously, some workers did want union representation or it would never have come to a vote. Typically, if there is a disagreement, it is between the workers and management. In this case, management (VW) was neutral - not opposed to a union if that’s what the workers wanted. So, the opposition came from outside, and from those workers who truly felt there was no need to unionize. Perhaps VW is a fair employer, I don’t know enough about their particular situation. But as you know, its a free country, and all sorts of groups can and do pedal their influence. When the need becomes great enough, there will be a union.

Pretty much.

why is it bad not to vote for a union?

It depends how they do it.

Because it impacts your fellow workers negatively. What a union represents is democracy in the workplace.

ATB

How would we know that it affects fellow workers negatively? I mean unions charge dues, which affects fellow workers negatively. Unions protect the lazy, which affects fellow workers negatively. So by voting against a union you may be affecting your fellow workers positively.

Unions used to be necessary. Now they’re just bloated, corrupt entities.

Uhhh unions protect the workers that the company hires. :smiley: They are bound by law to do this.

ATB

Well that talk radio heard from.

That, of course, is a gross overgeneralization! At least, it has never been my experience in 30 years of union affiliation. A truly lazy worker will not last long in the very competitive private sector, where I worked. The union will protect older or injured workers, and that is not a bad thing. God forbid you ever become less perfect and need the assistance of a good union!

That’s a canard that has gotten really old.

I’ve been around unions all of my life. They ran their course a long time ago. Their main purpose now is political, and has nothing to do with protecting “the workers”. Their main purpose now is to protect their own burearcracy, It’s about time they either change, or go the way of the dinosaur.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.