Wahhabi war waged on Indonesia's Shi'ites

Indonesia’s Shi’ite minority is under heavy attack. Men, women, and children have been assaulted, schools damaged, and villages burned to the ground. Many have been killed. It is becoming increasingly clear that Saudi Arabia’s intolerant brand of Wahhabi Sunni Islam - propagated far and wide by Saudi oil money - is behind most of assaults.

Naila Zakiyah, a lecturer at a Shi’a school for girls in the city of Bangil, East Java, recently explained to us:"In light of recent events, we are naturally worried about the safety of our students… We feel discriminated against. Before this year’s Ramadan, the Sunni mosque across the street broadcasted their sermon twice a week. They had their loudspeakers directed towards our school. They were shouting that Shi’a teaching is misguided, and that spilling our blood is halal [permissable under Islamic law]. It is said that those who are attacking us are being funded by money from Saudi Arabia. In 2007, for example, 500 people demonstrated in front of our boarding school; the Saudis gave each person $2."
atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/NL07Ae01.html

Another fine example of Islamic brotherly love. If Sunni Muslims can’t get along with their fellow Muslims of a different brother, do you really think they gonna get a long with us, kaffirs? http://asianmedia.com/GAAN/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=36&cb=%n&n=a9473bc7&ct0=%c

While I have little sympathy for Islam in general, I have to admit that in recent times, the Shia have been more reasonable than the Sunnis have. Author Vali Nasr has pointed this out in his excellent book The Shia Revival : How Conflicts Within Islam Will Shape The Future. One of the things I learned from this book is that in the days immediately after 9-11, the Islamic world saw two massive marches in solidarity with the victims of the terror attacks. One was in Karachi Pakistan, and the other was in Tehran Iran, and the marchers were entirely Shia. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that they have been murdered and oppressed for so long by Wahhabist Sunnis.

Frankly, at this point in time, I wouldn't blame the Shia one bit if they began smuggling weapons to there co-religionists in Eastern Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and other places in the world, because someone has to begin destabilizing the vile Wahhabist regimes in those countries.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.