Wait, Catholics evangelize?

This may seem odd from someone in RCIA…but almost all of us are there because we married a Catholic.

I can honestly say I’ve never been approached by a Catholic for conversion.

Mormons? Yes. Born again? Yes. Chabad Lubavitch? Yes. Baptists? Yes.

Catholics? Never.

What exactly does Catholic evangelism entail and how does it differ form any of the above? or does it consist solely of marrying non-Catholics? Its definitely a fun way…but perhaps not so efficient!

And why have I never heard of Catholic evangelicism? :confused:

Catholic evangelism just involves carrying the message. Sometimes it is not about going door to door but in our behaviors and acts of mercy. I would recommend a google search of Catholic and “New Evangelization.”

“Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.” - St. Francis of Assisi

I, too, am in RCIA. One of the things I asked my 2 Catholic sisters (who converted apprx 25 yrs ago) was, “why didn’t you ever tell me how awesome your faith/church is?” They both said they didn’t want to pressure me. I think of all the years I was searching without ever considering the Catholic Church, what a waste!

I am learning about the New evangelism, and am excited to now be a part of this Church.:signofcross:

God Bless,
Ruth

Though going door to door couldn’t hurt. :thumbsup:

I feel differently about Evangelizing. I do believe in sharing my faith and I would definitely volunteer to stand in front of a table with tracts and maybe even pray with people.

But of course one can say that’s because I was raised Evangelical. Maybe so.

I do know a cradle Catholic who teams with her friend to hand out “rosary packets” and tracts.

I don’t think this is an injunction not to use words or he would be in contradiction with Peter 3:15. I think he meant actions speak louder than words, which is true, but sometimes it seems we never use words or are ashamed to use words.

Catholics evangelize by living their lives according to the faith… now, not all Catholics are living that life but that is, I do believe, what Catholic evangelization is supposed to look like.

Sorry, I should have elaborated after posting that quote.

What I meant to imply is that, per St. Francis’s saying, Catholics live their lives as good Catholics as a way of preaching. That’s not to say, of course, that there is shouldn’t be any “door-to-door” Catholics - but the reason why there aren’t is probably because we live, not speak, our faith.

To be honest, neither have I. Even the Catholics I am really close with and have attended Mass with a few times don’t really talk to me about their faith or even invite me to church. These friends are very involved in their parish. *Don’t get me wrong, I’m kind of glad they haven’t because I don’t know what I believe anymore. I’m just saying it has been different than what I’ve experienced in the past. I used to be Southern Baptist and they take a completely different approach to evangelism.

Heres the deal. There is a lot to be said about Catholic evangelism. There are many door-to-door Catholic evangelists but even more popular is probably the many programs that hire missionaries. (I have worked as a Catholic missionary here in the U.S. for ministry programs and on days off on Saturdays we would go on evangelism trips to Walmart etc. and see people have changes in their heart right there). Many parishes often have evangelization programs but you will probably see greater force coming out of ministry programs or evangelistic outreaches. Searching New Evangelization is a good idea. Check out programs like: Life Teen, FOCUS, Adore Ministries, NET Ministries, Charismatic Renewal, Fraternus, Dirty Vagabond Ministries, Steubenville Conferences etc. etc.

and YES, living out one’s faith in a morally good way is of course of extreme and utmost importance BUT it is too often used as an excuse to not do evangelism. If you were confirmed then you were sealed with a responsibility to pass on the faith, and truly living a life in the Holy Spirit, we should be open to discipleship wherever we feel God calling us, to our families and to the stranger who is checking us out in the store. One should ask themselves why they are Catholic and then consider why they would think that wasn’t important enough to help others see that love and truth, of course in a charitable and loving way

It’s improtant to remember what Jesus said [BIBLEDRB]matthew 10:27[/BIBLEDRB] [BIBLEDRB]matthew 10:32-34[/BIBLEDRB] It seems to me that not mentioning Jesus, just because society might discourage it or it may be awkward, is tantamount to denying him.

There is no excuse. The New Testament is clear. We have the command to spread the Gospel to the ends of the Earth. St. Paul says believing comes from hearing.

I’m sorry you have never met a Catholic that evangelises.
I haven’t met many non-catholics either who evangelised. It seems many Christians get into an all Christian friendsgroup at church and they stay there… I basically think that if we all share our faith openly with people that cross our way during our daily life and when we travel, we do what we can. We are not all called to be missionaries in Africa, but we are all called to preach the Gospel to those who haven’t heard it.

In my country it seems the Christians - all of them really - are a bit ashamed of their faith and values… We have a strong left-wing dominance in the public room which ridicules everything that indicates traditional views or faith. That makes especially young people reluctant so stand up for their Christian identity.

We can only start with ourselves… Tell people about Jesus, realise when we get too deep into our comfort zone (I know how that works because I have been at a Christian campus for the last few years and its very peaceful and comforting not to always have to explain and defend ones Catholicism.) One can become very lazy and try to excuse it by means of holy sounding words… kind of like when people rationalize and say that suffering is a wonderful gift simply because they don’t have the faith to ask for healing.
Honesty is needed!

Again, if you have legs and a voice, there are only bad excuses not to tell your family, friends and colleagues about the Lord and what he has done for you.
By the way, when I became a Catholic my new priest said: “I think you are too radical, you could really also stay Protestant. I dont understand why you insist on being a Catholic”. I am happy I am not in that parish anymore.

The Church is sick… and the more “believing Catholics” I come across who use the Francis of Assissi quote to ignore their God given mandate to preach the sadder I get. What people in our day really thinks is that ‘everything is gonna be alright’, ‘people will probably be fine without Jesus’ etc… In past times Christian people knew that the heathen wasn’t ‘fine without Jesus’ so missionaries were send out even risking their lives.

Like Pope said: The crisis of the Church, is a crisis of lack of faith.

Fr. Barron’s big project, Word on Fire, is all about evangelizing our culture.

Please check it out!!!

wordonfire.org/

=Geist;8939799]This may seem odd from someone in RCIA…but almost all of us are there because we married a Catholic.

I can honestly say I’ve never been approached by a Catholic for conversion.

Mormons? Yes. Born again? Yes. Chabad Lubavitch? Yes. Baptists? Yes.

Catholics? Never.

What exactly does Catholic evangelism entail and how does it differ form any of the above? or does it consist solely of marrying non-Catholics? Its definitely a fun way…but perhaps not so efficient!

And why have I never heard of Catholic evangelicism? :confused:

GREAT and very fair question.:slight_smile:

As a 67 year Old life long catholic, I can identify with your view.

Catechesis within the CC was all but desimated in the post Vatican II era. Either there was no catechesis or it was greatly watered down. Homilies’ changed fron “Faith Matters” to moral stories and feelings. This was a time [and this still exist in segments] when many “catholic intellectuals” who Knew more or Knew better than God, the pope, the magisterium and anyone who disagreed with them [made up of very many Bishops, priest, religious and some cardnals too] whio felt that the church NEEDED TO CHANGE. The thinking of the “Seemless Garment Theology” was that if Protestants would not change and accept our catholic beliefes; then we MUST become more like them to make the unification and One Church [that the bible speaks about] a reality.

Yet God remains ALWAY’s In CHARGE. So the “remnant church” that was founded by Christ retianed a presence and in recent years has even grown in size and power. We have seen now two consecutive heads of the USCCB [United States Catholic Bishops] who are staunchly Pro-Catholic /Pro Rome. [Thank you Jesus!]:).

This year that we are in has been called the ’The year of “Re-Evangelization” because our Pope and the vatican know it is needed. The emphasis is on converting once Catholic Countries that were strongly Catholic and have lost there way and there faith. Certainly the USA is part of this need.

The need is Great, is Urgent and ALL of us are called to take an active role in this effort. leading by our own example and prayer life.:thumbsup: Great strides are being made; the recent changes in our Liturgy text being a key part of it.

Evangualazation OUGHT to start in our homes! Thank God that it is still taking place.

So my friend, each of us is called by God to take an activre role. I know in my many years of teaching I have always stresses this ROLE is for everyone. Perhaps not in the same manner; but as God has enabled each of us to do. I pray you too will become a important part of the necessary solution:thumbsup:

God Bless you,
Pat

Well, I’m from the metropolitan New York area where Catholicism is the dominant faith, so perhaps that had something to do with it? And I will say when I attended Mass with my wife if you got there late; you were standing. So perhaps it was largely culturally ingrained and thus no one ever felt a need or point to evangelize? Now that I think about it does make some sense.

In my country it seems the Christians - all of them really - are a bit ashamed of their faith and values… We have a strong left-wing dominance in the public room which ridicules everything that indicates traditional views or faith. That makes especially young people reluctant so stand up for their Christian identity.

I see you’re from Europe, whereabouts? I traveled to Italy, the Vatican, Austria and Germany a few years back. Its funny, when I checked out the various churches (each one is basically a small museum) I was struck by the almost total absence of people in them, except for the Vatican obviously…and many of those people appeared to be American (based on their less than formal dress :)) or Asian tourists.

The weird thing is even as an atheist at the time the myriad empty churches saddened me on some level.

We can only start with ourselves… Tell people about Jesus, realise when we get too deep into our comfort zone (I know how that works because I have been at a Christian campus for the last few years and its very peaceful and comforting not to always have to explain and defend ones Catholicism.) One can become very lazy and try to excuse it by means of holy sounding words… kind of like when people rationalize and say that suffering is a wonderful gift simply because they don’t have the faith to ask for healing.
Honesty is needed!

Again, if you have legs and a voice, there are only bad excuses not to tell your family, friends and colleagues about the Lord and what he has done for you.
By the way, when I became a Catholic my new priest said: “I think you are too radical, you could really also stay Protestant. I dont understand why you insist on being a Catholic”. I am happy I am not in that parish anymore.

I honestly like your attitude. A bit of militancy never hurt anyone!

The Church is sick… and the more “believing Catholics” I come across who use the Francis of Assissi quote to ignore their God given mandate to preach the sadder I get. What people in our day really thinks is that ‘everything is gonna be alright’, ‘people will probably be fine without Jesus’ etc… In past times Christian people knew that the heathen wasn’t ‘fine without Jesus’ so missionaries were send out even risking their lives

I know who he is, but what quote are you referring to?

Like Pope said: The crisis of the Church, is a crisis of lack of faith.

That seems about right.

You know, I’m not even Catholic yet, so one may say, “Pushing this guy a little early aren’t you Pat?”, but its funny, having been on the “other side” for largely my entire life(I was baptized in a protestant denomination as a child but even then never believed in God) so I perhaps understand the gift of faith more ah, “vividly” than some of those raised with it and would like to share it.

I already feel an enormous debt of gratitude to the Church for introducing me to Christ and the many many awesome people in His Church so I look forward to “repaying the debt” as it were. I understand Gods grace is free, but people (like the RCIA team at my parish, the pastoral council, the priest and deacon, and the diocese etc.) do His work on earth, and when someone helps you, you help them back.

If I can best help the Church by evangelizing, so be it. Its a worthy challenge and I look forward to it.

=Geist;8956223]You know, I’m not even Catholic yet, so one may say, “Pushing this guy a little early aren’t you Pat?”, but its funny, having been on the “other side” for largely my entire life(I was baptized in a protestant denomination as a child but even then never believed in God) so I perhaps understand the gift of faith more ah, “vividly” than some of those raised with it and would like to share it.

I already feel an enormous debt of gratitude to the Church for introducing me to Christ and the many many awesome people in His Church so I look forward to “repaying the debt” as it were. I understand Gods grace is free, but people (like the RCIA team at my parish, the pastoral council, the priest and deacon, and the diocese etc.) do His work on earth, and when someone helps you, you help them back.

If I can best help the Church by evangelizing, so be it. Its a worthy challenge and I look forward to it.

Maybe?

But I’ve been teaching our Faith for a very long time. RCIA for 3 years too. And I am awed by the commitment that converts bring into our church. This is a GREAT blessing from God.:slight_smile:

I have found that it is best to speak the truth. Sometimes it’s good news and other times not.:o But I DO BELIEVE THAT GOD REMAINS IN CHARGE.:slight_smile:

God Bless,
Pat

The Legion of Mary goes door to door evangelising and also does crowd contact, particularly in “red light” districts, public parks etc. They also go into prisons and encourage inmates to seek the Sacraments and form Rosary groups and even their own praesidia (branches) of the Legion. But evangelisation doesn’t have to be as active as that, you can evangelise in small but very effective ways too.

As Catholics we should always be ready to share our faith - you never know who you’re going to meet through the day. I always carry a supply of miraculous medals, plastic Rosaries and leaflets.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.