Wake prayer anyone?

I wonder how Catholics in other parts of the world do wake prayers if any. Mine involves something like this:

Group of people come together
Group of people refer to book of prayer for the dead.
Opening prayer -> hymn -> bible reading -> rosary -> hymn ->
relevant intentions (for the dead, for the family, etc.) -> closing prayer -> hymn
Group of people chitchat and fellowship (as in eat together) if food is served.

Another account is like this (from somewhere else):
Rosary- glorious mysteries
scripture
a psalm
another scripture
Gospel
a brief homily by the priest, which may include eulogizing depending on his knowledge of the deceased
family and friends come forward to speak…many times, these are funny stories- that’s how you can spot a Catholic wake- we laugh and celebrate life while we mourn our loss!
Closing prayer

What about you?

If you would like a good understanding of the different rites of the Church and how a wake is done, ask on the Eastern Forum. :smiley:

Er, why Eastern? That’s not my church.

Because, You Asked About Catholics In Other Parts Of The World.

What I mean was Catholics following Rome, e.g. U.S., England, etc. I’m from Malaysia, and was just curious.

There are Eastern Catholics in union with Rome in the USA and England.

So wake prayer in the U.S. is only done by Eastern Catholics? That sounds strange. I’m quite sure my Kuching Catholic church is not Eastern Catholic

The Trisagion Prayers

+Blessed is our God always, now and ever, and forever. Amen

Glory to You, our God, glory to You.

Heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth, present in all places and filling all things, the Treasury of blessings and the Giver of life, come and dwell in us, cleanse us of all stain, and save our souls, O Good One.

+Holy God! Holy Mighty One! Holy Immortal One! Have mercy on us. (three times)

+Glory be the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and always and forever and ever. Amen.

All-Holy Trinity, have mercy on us. Lord, forgive our sins. Master, pardon our transgressions. Holy One, look upon us and heal our infirmities for your name’s sake."

“Lord, have mercy.” (three times)

+Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and always and forever and ever. Amen.

“Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.”

+For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, now and always and for ever and ever."
[LIST]
*]Selection of verses from Psalm 119 (LXX 118), in three stanzas: (Part I -verses 1, 20, 28, 36, 53, 63; Part II -verses 73, 83, 94, 102, 112, 126; Part III -verses 132, 141, 149, 161 1 175, 176) [/LIST] “Blessed are You, O Lord, teach me Your statutes!” (Psalm 119:12)

the Kontakion and Hymns including

*“With the Saints give rest, O Christ, to the soul of Your servant where there is no pain, nor sorrow, nor suffering, but life                   everlasting.”*                                   

[LIST]
*]Scripture Readings: (a) 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 and (b) John 5:24-30. [/LIST] Small Litany, Prayers, and Dismissal.
–Have mercy on us, O God, according to your great mercy: we pray You, hear
us and have mercy.

R. Lord, have mercy! (Three times)

–Let us pray to the Lord our God that He may hear the supplication of us sinners and have mercy on his servants N. and N., and protect them against every misfortune, affliction, anger, and need and against every spiritual and bodily illness; that He may grant them health and long life. Let us all say: Hear us, O Lord, and have mercy.

–Again, let us pray that He may preserve this city and this holy church and every city, town, and countryside from famine, plague, earthquake, flood, fire, civil war, riot, and foreign invasion; and that our God who is kind and the Lover of Mankind may forgive our sins and hold back his just wrath, and that He may have mercy on us.

–Hear us, O God our Savior, Hope of all those who live at the far ends of the earth, and to those traveling by sea, air and land; be kind to us, O Master, forgive us our sins and have mercy on us, for You are a gracious Lord who loves mankind, and we glorify You, Father +, Son, and Holy Spirit, now and ever, and forever.

R. Amen.

–Bowing our heads (or Bending our knees) in all humility, let us pray to the Lord.

R. Lord, have mercy!

Glory be to You, O Christ, our God and our hope: glory be to You!

R. Glory be to the Father +, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever, and forever. Amen.

Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy! Lord, have mercy! Give the blessing.

May Christ our true God (if it is a Sunday, who is risen from the dead) have mercy on us and save us, through the prayers of his most pure Mother and of the holy, glorious, and illustrious Apostles, through the prayers of St. N., whose memory we celebrate today, and of all the saints, for He is gracious
and loves mankind.

R. Amen.

**So wake prayer in the U.S. is only done by Eastern Catholics? **

I never said that. But don’t forget that Eastern Catholics ARE Catholics.

:rotfl:sorry, couldn’t resist!

I pray that is not so.
Most wakes I have gone to the Latin Churches are Scripture, songs, and rosary. They are always wonderful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.