Waking Up To Songs in Your Head

How many people here wake up to a song playing over and over in their heads?

It happens to me all the time, nearly every night. Many times it is a song I haven’t heard in years so it can’t be just a reflection of what I’ve heard on the radio the day before. Oftentimes it seems as if the song is an answer from God from prayers I’ve been praying the day before. If a song is replaying over and over in my head, the first thing I will do in the morning is look up the lyrics and see what someone is trying to tell me. Sometimes I’m just blown away by the lyrics and how they answered my prayers or at least acknowledged that my prayers were heard.

Last night I prayed to God to show me his will for my life and that I was so tired of making the same mistakes over and over. This morning, the song “New Day for You” by Basia was playing in my head. Here are the lyrics:

Hello again it’s me

Your shoulder’s where I sit
The half, nobody sees,of a silent partnership
I am here your help at hand

I’m never far away
A clear view from where I stand
I’ll be there if you need me

I am your helping hand
My words you’ve heard them all before
It’s only for the sake of love

It’s gonna be a new day for you
A new day for you
The stars have played their part
The past is gone and done
Have more faith in love
The best is yet to come

So what is this I hear?

You deserve a break

Take time to think it out
Don’t make a new mistake
I am here your help at hand

A new day for you, new day for you, new day for you
Have more faith in love
The best is yet to come

My words you’ve heard them all before
It’s only for the sake of love

Have more faith in love
The best is yet to come

Hello again it’s me

The part I bolded above is what got me. I kept asking God does he just want me to sit here and do nothing until he tells me what to do, and that I would gladly do that in order not to make another mistake in my life. I guess I got my answer loud and clear!

Anyways, for those people who would say it’s just a song you probably heard on the radio the day before. Nah. Basia? How many people here have even heard this song? I had to look up parts of the lyrics to see who even sang it. I haven’t heard this song since the 90’s.

Anyone else have God talk to them through songs replaying in their heads as they wake up? If so, what songs have you heard lately?

PS: In the middle of the night I woke up to the Foo Fighters “Generator” in my head. I looked up the lyrics, interesting is all I’ll say.

2 Likes

I’ve only woken up to songs that I’ve been playing over and over the previous day(s.)

I do recall songs in my dream, though I think this is my mind simply filtering regurgitated thoughts to a previous experience associated with the song.

I have however, heard songs that I’ve never heard before! There’s been a few occasions where I wake up and try to mimic the tune, record it and write down any notes that I can remember.

Otherwise, I don’t think God necessary speaks to me per say through music, but there is a connection. It is music after all. Though I did have a thought come to mind when listening to atrociously bad Christian music where I heard a voice say “I have nothing to do with this.” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

When I do wake up with a song in my head, it’s usually something dumb like a commercial jingle
“My baloney has a first name, its O-S-C-A-R…”
Never something deep and meaningful like you :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I wake every day to “Battle Hymn of the Republic”

2 Likes

not a response to your query but I’m just pleasantly surprised to find someone mention a Basia song :heart_eyes:

Great…thanks to the OP now I have Todd Rundgren’s Hello It’s Me stuck in my head…:thinking:

I tried to reply to your post but my post was flagged as SPAM, just 'cause.

How many people here wake up to a song playing over and over in their heads?

Well, at least you’re not asking if it’s a sin. :grin:

It’s not unusual. I think the closer you are to your faith, you might get dreams about your relationship with Him;eg, maybe a dream of you and Jesus by the water; “He refreshes my soul”. Or when your praying, a hymn might take place at the same time- song of the heart; eg “Come back to me with all your heart”. something appropriate to what you’re doing or thinking about.

I wake up to songs in my head all the time.

1 Like

I used to think it was just me…but now I am learning otherwise…:sunglasses:

I wonder why our brains do this?

Today it was Babe the Blue Ox “Breathe”

ME2! (16 characters!)

And I have another weird quirk. When people talk to me–what they are saying reminds me of words to a song and I often have to reply with what song jumps into my head…
Like they will say Hello to me and suddenly I’m singing “You say goodbye and I say Hello, Hello Hello…”

2 Likes

Yup…I got that one too :rofl:…wonder if it is a side effect of ADHD?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.