Wal-Mart boycott over gays called off

**“A conservative group that had called on supporters to boycott Wal-Mart’s post-Thanksgiving day sales to protest the retailer’s support of gay-rights groups withdrew its objections Tuesday, saying the company had agreed to stay away from controversial causes.”…

see the link for more info

msnbc.msn.com/id/15835445/**

I’m still boycotting, not just those two days either.

From the bottom of that article from the same link

-“The Tupelo, Miss.-based AFA says 550,000 people have signed a pledge to boycott Ford and it takes partial credit for the company’s financial problems.”-

I’m not a big fan of boycotts and there are a lot of things that I see Wal-Mart do that I don’t agree with. But that last paragraph of that article kind of upset me.

There’s a Ford plant here in Atlanta that closed recently and a lot of good people lost their jobs (as well as other factories in the US) . I don’t believe that most boycotts work and I don’t think it was very much a factor in the Ford case BUT I feel really sad about those people that lost jobs and that AFA is trying to take some of the credit.

It is my right to spend my money where I chose. If I have a choice between two places, I am not going to shop at the one that turns my money over to causes I don’t agree on.

It is Ford’s fault they are losing money, not the consumers’. They are not pleasing their customers.

What happened to ‘the customer is always right’?

Out of curiousity why? They give hundreds of thousands of dollars to various Catholic organizations…

Here is just one example:

authorsden.com/visit/viewarticle.asp?AuthorID=29292&id=23904

I also don’t like the way they have come into our small town and driven out small businesses that have been around for generations. Their customer service is AWFUL. I would much rather patronize a small business where you get an honest answer to your questions. I cannot tell you how many times I have asked questions at Walmart and been given an answer that is wrong .
Like: “Where is your (whatever) ?”
“Oh, we don’t carry that Ma’am.”

Then you turn the corner and there is a display of exactly what you just asked for.

Julia T.

I’m in total agreement with the same issues mentioned. I too boycott by not patronizing places I am dissatisfied with.

What I disagree with is all the organized boycotts I hear about everyday. If I followed every boycott AFA has called for, I’d have an empty house.

I agree that i too will not shop at a store where i have gotten horrible Customer service…and on top of that i will usually write a letter to someone within the company.

But i always check and research any organized boycott of a company. Because of the internet people are too willing to believe that everything on the internet is true. Since i come from a research background, i don’t have a problem plugging certain things into certain databases and finding out if the info is true or not.

I 've researched it, the link I gave is one example.

I agree it is not smart to jump on the boycott bandwagon just because you heard a rumor.

I really try to focus on things that really strike me personally, like companies that support Banned…er Planned Parenthood.

I wasn’t talking about you in particular i was just talking about in general…:slight_smile:

I know…it’s cool :wave:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.