Wal-Mart picks longtime executive as CEO

From the Washington Post:

Wal-Mart named company veteran Doug McMillon chief executive on Monday , changing top leadership as it faces both new scrutiny for its treatment of employees and increasing pressure to boost sales.

McMillon, 47, will replace chief executive and President Mike Duke, 63, on Feb. 1, the company announced. Duke will remain with the company as chairman.

McMillon, whose first job with Wal-Mart was as a summer worker nearly three decades ago, most recently served as the head of Wal-Mart International, a fast-growing part of the company with 823,000 employees in 26 countries.
You Wal-Mart haters read that? He started as SUMMER HELP! A lowly line person.

And now is the CEO.

Doesn’t matter. I still hate them on so many other levels. :sad_yes:

You hate who, exactly?

Fortunately there are many other places to shop. Nobody has any moral obligation to patronize any business.

Wal-Mart could give 50% of their profit to authentic Catholic charities and there are some here who would hate them.

Wal-Mart could refuse to sell contraceptives (of all varieties) and some here would still hate them.

Wal-Mart could have a program allowing people in poverty to shop there for free and some here who would hate them.

Wal-Mart could pay twice the average industry pay for their hourly workers and there are some here who would hate them.

Wal-Mart could offer all workers who put in more than 20 hours a week that paid 100% of all medical expenses for employees and their families (including children up to age 45) with no premiums, no deductions, no caps, and no exclusions (it would even cover cosmetic surgery, chiropractic, and massage)…at no expense to the employees, And some here would still hate them.

Wal-Mart could institute an ethical purchasing program where they inspected the facilities of their suppliers to make sure that employees of their suppliers were paid well and treated appropriately and there are some here who would hate them.

There are some here who would hate them no matter what they do for two reasons:

1. They are successful and people don’t like that

2. They are not (at least for the most part) unionized and people won’t stand for that.

Fortunately, in a competitive market there is little harm to people hating Walmart. Personally, I neither like Walmart, nor do I hate it. I look at firms as either useful, or not useful. If Walmart is useful I will shop there, if it is not, I won’t. I look at employers the same way. If I was unemployed and needed the cash, I would work at Walmart, when I found something better I would leave.

Bingo!

Wrong and wrong.

The unions are paying people to picket Wal-Mart today.And Obamad NLRB says it’s OK But of course their lack of unionization had nothing whatsoever to do with the constant attacks on Wal-Mart

Walmart lacks any ethics whatsoever. They aren’t hated because they’re successful, they are hated because the only thing that matters to them is their bottom line. They pay extremely low wages to people who often have no other choices for employment (because Wal-Mart has driven out all local businesses). They don’t give enough hours to their employees. Their employees have no recourse for mistreatment. They have little to no flexibility in their scheduling. Many of their employees need a second source of income, but Wal-Mart makes sure that their schedule precludes any secondary employment in most cases. Because of their business practices, the local economy often suffers, and the tax payers end up subsidizing their low prices in the form of welfare and other assistance to their employees. So, there are many more reasons to hate that corporation than the ones you listed.

WalMart doesn’t give enough hours, yet at the same time, their scheduling precludes employees for having second jobs?

This actually could happen, if they expect you to be available at assorted hours and then change your schedule each week. Sometimes managers don’t take kindly to people not being available to work their scheduled shifts. There was a bit of that when I worked in retail around 25 years ago. I am not sure how Walmart does their scheduling.

Well that’s retail, isn’t it? I had the same issues when I worked retail in college. It’s nothing specific or unique to WalMart

Exactly same here.

I don’t understand why Walmart is singled out for so much liberal hate. There are other places that treat their employees much worse. Markomalley is right on the nose.
And no, I’m not a “fan” of Walmart and nor do I work there.

Want to add that I won’t shop on Thanksgiving night, don’t like stores starting their Black Friday sales then , But Walmart ain’t the only one doing this.

It is not clear in my mind whether Walmart really does anything different than Target or Macys or Sears.

I think Wal-Mart is hated most for coming into small towns and taking all the customers away from small business, which is what they did in my town recently. The nearest major city to me even tried to block Walmart from coming in for many years and finally told them they couldn’t build a new store so they were forced to buy and renovate an old building. They are non-union and do not pay anything near a living wage. Sure, unions can create problems but without my union I’d be making half of what I do in my two public jobs. And if Walmart won’t give enough hours to their employees it’s because it would put the employees into the full-time category which would mean Walmart having to pay for benefits. Walmart is the epitome of everything wrong with the world today and I won’t shop there much. I prefer to spend my money on quality goods bought from local businesses.

“Walmart: Your one stop shop for Made in China flop!”

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/27/AR2006082700553.html

Dated op-ed, but still makes valid points.

Other Democrats reaffirm their centrist credentials while calling upon Wal-Mart to pay workers more. “We are not here today because we are anti-business,” Bayh asserted in Iowa recently as he demonstrated against Wal-Mart – a contention that the retailer’s shareholders, who have spent millions defending their brand against Wake-Up Wal-Mart, may have a hard time swallowing. But the idea that Wal-Mart pays below-market wages is false. Otherwise nobody would work there

Hillary Clinton and Sen. John Kerry have attacked Wal-Mart for offering health coverage to too few workers. But Kerry’s former economic adviser, Jason Furman of New York University, concluded in a paper last year that Wal-Mart’s health benefits are about as generous as those of comparable employers.

According to a paper for the National Bureau of Economic Research by Jerry Hausman and Ephraim Leibtag, neither of whom received funding from Wal-Mart, big-box stores led by Wal-Mart reduce families’ food bills by one-fourth. Because Wal-Mart’s price-cutting also has a big impact on the non-food stuff it peddles, it saves U.S. consumers upward of $200 billion a year, making it a larger booster of family welfare than the federal government’s $33 billion food-stamp program.

The truth is that none of these Democrats can resist dumb economic populism.

And yet very few of the picketers were Walmart employees. Every time they open a new store, they get more applications than they can accept. It seems that the people who hate them the most are the ones who know them least.

I bought a 39 inch LED 1080p television at Walmart.com yesterday, with free delivery, $25 off for getting a Walmart credit card, at half what I spent on a 32 inch LCD 720p model six years ago. It also uses less energy than the old model. I like it when they save me money.:slight_smile:

You think they’re the “epitome of everything wrong with the world” but you’ll still shop there? :confused: Isn’t that hypocritical (not to mention melodramatic)?

No one can deny their greed or selfishness. I used to shop there all the time when I didn’t know any better but now I’ll maybe go there once or twice a year and spend $10 or $20, usually only if someone else I’m with wants to go there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.